Soft Synth version of Oberheim Xpander?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does one exist?

Nope... :(
The closest thing I've found for emulating an Xpander is the profiTERA page of Tera- I can get really close to the mod routings with that, and I can set up envelopes to work as ramps, lag processors and the additional LFOs (the Xpander had 5 envelopes and 5 LFOs). Still not quite the same...
ew
A spectral heretic...

Chase wrote:Does one exist?
Yes I have two big wishes for my birthday:

PPG Wave with the Wave Programmer
Oberheim XPander

both done well of course!!

And one more thing:

What about Korg didn't they say they make other VSTi on success of the legacy collection

I. Wish.

I can't think of a single softsynth that even comes close... :(

That is a dream of mine.
But, really there is so much great stuff out there right now, it really blows me away; there is no lack of complex VSTi's with tons of modulation and stuff. I would love an expander though, no doubt about that.
Antii should do it, as he already has the most beautifully analogue sounding filter algorithms, and an expander filter clone at that! :D What do you think, is a petition in order? :D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I think we all should join together and ask a dev to make one 8)

there are people who think
that Crystal or Xphrase can do the work...

who knows

there are people who think
that Crystal or Xphrase can do the work...
...not this person.... I have an Xpander and if you have 2000.00US, you can have one too. :D

dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

Gibson still controls the legal rights and if i remember right from information from kvr -- made Arturia cease and desist from the idea.

Daniel created 3 rhino banks based on Oberheim wave forms, but for the most part (imho) they sound like rhino with OB waveforms more than they do an Oberheim Matrix or Xpander.

I'm with ew on this one. Tera can come close on some of those rich and complex string sounds. The Daniel rhino presets come closer on some horn/brass sounds.
and as far as Ob piano or e-piano or other sounds -- hey they weren't that good in the first place. (well maybe some bass patches could rock the house) But mostly, it was/is the super smooth string like pads and brass attack that made that synth so one of a kind.

The cheapest closest way to get to an Xpander is to get an Oberheim Matrix 1000. They have lots of modulation routings and basically the same oscillators and filters, just no programming on the unit itself. No problem if you have Soundiver, Unisyn or Midiquest or any freeware editor. I have two that I got off E-bay for about $200 each.

Dan
Electronic Mayhem: http://www.rewiremusic.com

The oscillators of the Matrix 6/6R/1000 are digital. Is that the case with the Xpander as well?

No the Xpander has analog osc
Simple and repetive are my middle names

Not a soft-synth but I remember someone saying the Evolver is pretty close to a one voice Xpander.
Unfortunatly a *new* four voice poly-volver will cost just a little less than a *used* Xpander.
Never heard the Xpander but the Evolver probably couldn't be replicated without a mega-cpu - It's just too rich a sound (not always a good thing)- it doesn't mix well with most soft synths. I can make it work with high quality samples though. I wish I had a poly :cry:
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.
-Niels Bohr

I can't believe no one's mention asynth yet. It's got a full set of xpander modeled filters. Not much like the rest of the synth from what I'm reading, but worth checking out if your'e interested in it.

mjones4th wrote:The oscillators of the Matrix 6/6R/1000 are digital. Is that the case with the Xpander as well?
Matrix 6/6R/1000 have DCO's (digitally controlled oscillators) - the oscillators themselves are analog but they are slaved to a high frequency clock.

I've using a Matrix 1000 for many years; it's considered by some the "coldest Oberheim ever". One possible explanation is that the M1K has both its DCO's slaved to the same high-frequency clock. This means that the DCO's never beat against each other the way truly independent (free) oscillators do. The fact is that I could never get a really good detuned sound from it (I use SoundDiver for programming the thing). I've read that Matrix6/6R's have a different architecture and a resulting better sound.

The Matrix 6/6R's are stripped down versions of Xpander/Matrix-12 in terms of routing, LFO's, etc., using different (less expensive) filters and oscillators. The M1K is a simplified, cost-effective version of the Matrix 6/6R's, conceived originally as a preset playing machine only - that's why the "1000" presets, with no programming interface. It is still an Oberheim and I like it very much but it is not in the same league as its big brothers.

BOT :D: I agree with TERA as being the closest VSTi so far to that kind of sound.

Return to “Instruments”