EMS synthi avs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know of a software synth that is close to the ems synthi in terms of sound?

There are several emulations - there is the AVS mentioned in the post title, another made by Richard Brooks I believe (he also made a pseudo EMS called VCS5). There's another in the Reaktor user library ('Synth in a Suitcase').

None are totally convincing, especially for those already familiar with the sound of the originals.

Merzbow wrote:Does anyone know of a software synth that is close to the ems synthi in terms of sound?
Let me guess, the synth you asked for comments on in October?

Do I get a prize for guessing correctly? Although an interesting SE synth, it doesn't sound specifically like any EMS synthi I've heard. Can't see it justifying the cost of 350 euros either, as it's limited in scope as a synth compared to what other software can do for that price.

I tried the demo a few months ago and it didn't work well :roll:
I couldn't use it enough and the price is too high.

I just hope some good companies like GMedia or Arturia will make a good synthi aks recreation :!:
Analog sounds :D

dystonia_ek wrote:...There's another in the Reaktor user library ('Synth in a Suitcase').
It's called Synth-In-A-Case and is an imitation of the Synthi AKS.

dystonia_ek wrote: None are totally convincing, especially for those already familiar with the sound of the originals.
As I never used the original I can't comment but the main features should be pretty close. I'm guessing that the real synth are more unreliable more noisy and produce more distortion in the signal path...not allways a bad thing.

ZooTooK wrote:
dystonia_ek wrote:...There's another in the Reaktor user library ('Synth in a Suitcase').
It's called Synth-In-A-Case and is an imitation of the Synthi AKS.

dystonia_ek wrote: None are totally convincing, especially for those already familiar with the sound of the originals.
That's the one - my memory is failing in my old age.
Gave this (SIAC) a spin last night and, to my ears, it's the best of the current EMS emus (though still a little too pristine maybe?). The step sequencer is a nice touch. Takes up far too much space on screen for my taste, though.

As I never used the original I can't comment but the main features should be pretty close. I'm guessing that the real synth are more unreliable more noisy and produce more distortion in the signal path...not allways a bad thing.

Return to “Instruments”