A software sampler that actually samples?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like soundforge too, only I wish it had an volume slider on the app itself so I wasn't always turning my hardware mixer up and down all the time to compensate for the volume of the samples, wavlab has this but I like soundforge better

Try the Vegas demo. It has 8 tracks a volume slider and everything you like about sound forge is a single click away. It comes with all the SF versions I have.
Pentagon,z3ta+,Tassman,Vsampler 3,FM7,Vocator,Sonar 3 Producer,SoundForge,Awave,Vegas 5
SFZ+,P5. And two kick ass DawBox machines!

about that vegas, what is the best version to use for audio, they seem to have alot of versions

Audio editors are cool. But all in all the most practical and sensible approach is a sampling sampler. If I'm in a zone and I wanna grab something real quick I gotta stop my process, load up another app, sample, save, then import into my sampler. The smoother the work flow the better. Taking time out to sample takes about the same amount of time as restarting your DAW becuse of an error! In short disrupting a smooth work flow and taking you out of your zone!

i'm building a reaktor instrument that samples on the fly, but it doesn't save the samples as wave files or anything. it just holds them in tables, and it's for experimenting with sounds and coming up with loops/textures with whatever you have connected and to hand at the time. not sure how useful this info is, but i understand how handy it must be to have something that can sample and playback live input.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

you don't happen to have ableton Live do you cause that is the 'mpc'/audio arranger program of them all right now. you've got your mpc in the session view, and your arrangement view for sequencing them all together...(although you can do this in session
view too)

Check out a sampler called Short Circuit by Vember Audio.

www.vemberaudio.com

That sampler is designed for people that like to create and warp their own samples.
MySpace/Escapee Planes
Virb
Perfume EP out 17 Dec, 12" MP3, FLAC & WAV

I do believe FLStudio can record audio also...so I suppose you could workaround from there.

blackanom wrote:This is crazy. They're called samplers but i don't know of one that actually samples.
Heh, finally someone who shares my thoughts. I find it outright stupid calling them samplers, because they don't actually sample like their hardware alternatives do, which are true samplers, not just sample players with fancy filters and stuff.

People can argue all they want about how using an audio editor like Soundforge and the likes is so much better etc.....but that doesn't change the fact that soft samplers can't sample.

(Except Emulator-X)

I had mentioned this in a previous post about where I can get a soft sampler that can actually sample.

There was a soft sampler that could sample - it was called Signum S1100 DX which was a clone of the Akai S1100. I have that program but when I try to record an error message appears.

The only thing to do is open Cubase SX and record a sample with Halion open and then drag that sample from Cubase SX into Halion. Its the quickest way to hear samples on a MIDI keyboard.

Artmuzz

blackanom wrote:Is there A software sampler that actually samples audio input? I'm a die hard software sampler (Intakt, Kontakt) user. But I miss the hardware days (MPC) of sample and create in one instrument/application. Is there anything out there?
Sounds insane, but it's true. You could, however, pick-up a used Akai on gear orphanage or some such place. Might cost you $200-300; but there you'd have it. And, you'd have a piece of outboard gear that is pretty dependable too.

TomR

EmuX

I appreciate all of the suggestion but some of you aren't getting it! 1 SOFTWARE sampler with a record/sample button. Not hardware used with software, not drag and drop samplers, just a regular sampler that samples. The fact that people are giving me a million different combos of apps just proves that software sampling is harder than it has to be. I love them for everything else they do. That's why I switched over from hardware. But still, wouldn't you be upset if your new state of the art lawn mower did everything but cut grass? I need to find a way to get at the designers of these things and find out what's up?

Haydxn, I also tried the reaktor thing. I didn't really like it though. But that's using you noodle man.

People often forget that NI Reaktor started out as two programmes - a modfular synth (Generator) and a soft sampler. The sampler aspect of Reaktor records and plays back as well as mangles and causes general audio mayhem.

If you want a relatively simple sampler unit built in Reaktor (well actually a suite of them) the Sampler pack from Lost Online will do the job (works in Sessions too) as well as enable you to do resynthesis and time stretching etc. And you can map the samples, create loops and multi sample all inside Reaktor as well as assign an external editor if you want to send it to an audio app for treatment then back into Reaktor.

http://www.lost-online.com/index.htm

Apart from this you can record and edit samples in the STS 5000 for Creamware :) It's probably the closest to an Akai in software but of course needs the DSP card (but then so does EmulatorX).

So that makes at least 3 software samplers that sample (Reaktor, STS5000 and EmuX).

Return to “Instruments”