Sytrus

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i see there's a group buy of Sytrus. anyone tried it? like it? lots of presets?

corey

Sytrus is awesome.

but dont take my word for it, try the demo version.. www.fruityloops.com

yeah? usable? versatile? what comparable to something like the fm7?

corey

very usable, very versatile.. just download the demo!!! :P

It's just common crap!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I have to say that I like the instrument. It has a good sound to it.

Toonyfish

Jens wrote:It's just common crap!
just give up please.

A future Sytrus 2 will have arpeggiator features built-in envelopes. It already does wonders:

http://www.flstudio.com/gol/SytrusArp.mp3

... DP (means double-post in this case... :razz:)
Last edited by jens on Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Daven Hughes wrote:
just give up please.

:hihi:

secretagentgel wrote:i see there's a group buy of Sytrus. anyone tried it? like it? lots of presets?

corey
Presets are good, but I prefer making my own. Sytrus is better than FM7. It has a similar high-quality sound with more features.

In addition to Sytrus, WusikStation is also having a GroupBuy. I think WS is similar to Sytrus in that it has a ton of synthesis flexibility. Unlike Sytrus, it is sample-based and has more presets.

I think purhcasing the pair for $100 is the best bargain in VSTs ever.

eh. no more negative comments - i just bought it. too late now. a synth that loads dx7 sysex patches for $50, let alone what the presets do. seems pretty good.

corey

Jens wrote:
Daven Hughes wrote:
just give up please.

:hihi:
:zzz:

anyway, a not very comprehensive comparison:

FM7 feature set: (from NI website)

1. FM synthesizer with extended sound architecture

2. Reads and faithfully reproduces sound programs of the FM classics (DX7, DX7-II, DX11, TX81Z, DX21, DX27, DX100, DX200, TX802)

3. Full matrix frequency modulation with 8 operators, no fixed algorithms

4. 6 operators with many waveforms plus distortion and analog filter operator

5. Sophisticated graphical editors with many convenient edit functions

6. Flexible graphical envelopes with unlimited number of stages and looping

[why does it say 32 breakpoints in the interface explorer then?]

7. Stereo effects section with chorus, flanger delay, can be used for external audio signals

8. Runs either as stand-alone or as a plug-in on MacOS and Windows

9. Optimized for Pentium III and G4 processors

And the corresponding Sytrus featureset:

1. yes
2. yes - imports Sysex

3,4. 6 operators. Sytrus has 3 multimode filters instead of the 'analog filter operator' and a waveshaper for each filter (3) instead of FM7's 'distortion operator'. Instead of 32 per oscillator, Sytrus allows you to build your own with 128 harmonics (volume and phase controls), various waveshaping effects, and a waveform analysis function which converts single cycle waveforms to 128 harmonics.

5. Other than the envelopes there are key, velocity, x-mod, and y-mod mapping editors (larger than FM7's) which allow copy/paste between windows and saved states.

6. Sytric envelopes cannot be beaten IMO.
-incredibly smooth
-unlimited stages
-copy/paste between envelope windows
-snap, slide, step edit functionality
-scaleable
-looping
-saveable state

7. Chorus/flanger, reverb, 3 delay lines, 3 band Eq, unison

8. VSTi, DXi, and FL versions of the plugin

9. hmm. ask gol

a few notes:

the presets are IMO a lot better (less generic, more interesting, not necessarily better sounding) in FM7 than Sytrus. Bear in mind NI have been making synths forever and they have a lot of people with a lot of experience in preset writing, whereas most of Sytrus' presets were made by the sole developer and a couple others. That said, Sytrus' presets are getting better as more people learn its nuances and its user base expands to include better writers.

cpu consumption: FM7 is really nice on the cpu. Sytrus can be too, but the unison is entirely overused in most of the included presets (it's a really quick and easy way to get a monster fat sound but it costs in MHz).

There are a smorgasbörd more features for both synths that aren't in the above, but it would take a hell of a lot of typing to cover them all. Best try the demos.

I just tested the envelopes to make sure I wasn't misled with the 'unlimited breakpoints' that NI touted (with the actual number being 32).

I made an envelope with 260 points (to make sure it didn't have a limit at 255, but there was none so I think we're pretty safe 8)

2. Reads and faithfully reproduces sound programs of the FM classics (DX7, DX7-II, DX11, TX81Z, DX21, DX27, DX100, DX200, TX802)

2. yes - imports Sysex
Actually, Sytrus is pretty disappointing in this area. True, it loads Sysex, but it ignores all the velocity info in the patches. And FM without velocity modulation is like VA without filter envelopes. And I don't think it loads keyboard tracking info either. Basically, it seems to do just enough to be able to claim "loads DX7 patches", but doesn't try to do it at all accurately.

Return to “Instruments”