Albino2, Vanguard or MX4?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, thanks for all these responses! Although it doesn't look like anyone here has bought or played MX4, Albino2 is the clear winner.

Re MX4's (un)popularity. I think Michael's right. I forgot this is largely a PC forum. I hadn't noticed MX4 is not a PC plugin. MX4 not being available to PC users would cut down it's saturation quite a bit.

Re Albino2's trancegate. Is this true? Does it have one? I didn't notice it on the demo and don't see it mentioned as a feature. Is it called something else? How do you say 'trancegate' in Albino2 speak?

Re "hidden" link. Sorry, if you're interested here's the absolute link: http://www.motu.com/newsitems/images/mx ... fullscreen

Thanks again.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 12.4.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays, Lynx Aurora (n) USB, DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com

I haven't used Vanguard or MX4 but I have to say that so far, Albino 2 is my most used soft synth. It's incredibly flexible, powerful, easy to program, logically laid out and even though I usually don't like using built-in effects, the ones on Albino 2 are so good and so well deployed that I rarely remove them or tweek them to any great extent.

Yes, it doesn now come with a MIDI gate effect. It's called Gator. Here's some promo for it:
This update includes a new "Gator" effect which chops (gates) the signal using MIDI-clocked note values for both stereo sides. This new effect comes along with 50 brand new presets by Rob Papen.
Albino 2 also comes with a huge number of incredibly useful sounds. Almost none of the presets are fluff and they cover a huge range of sounds from analog to digital, arpeggiations and chords, percussions, basses, pads and everything.

It's a real bread and butter synth. It won't replace Absynth or Cameleon or Cube or any of the real sound designer synths but it can easily take on any roll from the analog synth realm, and do a good job as well with digital and some FM sounds.

But its the sound that really sells it. I'd say its sound could be defined as possessing clarity and body. It really cuts through a mix in all frequency ranges and is not prone to becoming muddy. Its filters are really good and its range of modulation/arpeggiation options are impressive.

No, I don't work for LinPlug :wink: But this synth has become such a favorite that I'm working on a piece using (so far) nothing but it and one track of M-Tron.

Great stuff! I won't say it's the "best" or "better than" but if you get it, you're guaranteed not to be sorry.

emdot_ambient wrote:Here's some promo for it:
This update includes a new "Gator" effect which chops (gates) the signal using MIDI-clocked note values for both stereo sides. This new effect comes along with 50 brand new presets by Rob Papen.
Forgot to say that the Gator was added with version 2.1.

[quote="dix"]
Re Albino2's trancegate. Is this true? Does it have one? I didn't notice it on the demo and don't see it mentioned as a feature. Is it called something else? How do you say 'trancegate' in Albino2 speak?
quote]

It's called Gater and you insert it into one of the effect slots.

Hey you're right. I see Gator now. Thanks. ...and unlike Vanguard (i think) you can have reverb before the gate effect.

Now, the only feature it appears to me missing is the ability to run audio through it. Since no one has mentioned it I'm assuming MX4 is the only one of the three that allows this. Sure would be cool to have all those filters and gates on audio tracks. Can this be done w Albino2?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 12.4.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays, Lynx Aurora (n) USB, DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com

dix wrote:Now, the only feature it appears to me missing is the ability to run audio through it...Sure would be cool to have all those filters and gates on audio tracks.
That would be awesome . . . but it's not a feature with Albino 2 at the moment.

stefancrs wrote:I would choose albino2. But then again, I wouldn't, because for me, the synth I'll release shortly will be better :) (aimed at the same kind of style I'd say, sorry for the shameless plug :))
Isdjan, although it's often nice to be able to include it in the presets, some people don't like having delays or other fx included in the instruments, and some do.
vad är det för plugg du ska släppa nudå?

I had no idea you made vst stuff.
:roll:

men min kommer vara ännu bättre, så är det.. :P

jævla svenskere.....

:hihi:

Den er ingenting! Snagger inglsk nu!

;) Urs

isdjan wrote:my two cents...a trance gate effect need not necessarily be placed inside a vsti...there should be enough vst-fx plugins to achieve the same...
Should be, but I can't find one. Does anyone know of a rhythmic-gate plugin for Macs?

If you have some flavor of Reaktor, there are a ton of useful trancegate ensembles... Other than that, I'm not sure, but I heard there was a way to arrange some built-in plugs in Logic to do it.

As to which synth... I personally prefer the sound of Vanguard over the others, although Albino is apparently quite powerful - I'll have to try some more programming with it. As to MX4... don't know much about it, except that it's quite expensive (at least the last time I checked the price).

Albino 2, Oddity or the MiniMoog V would be my favorites. Vanguard is nice, but for my taste a little to 'trancy'.

I think your money would be better spent on Albino2.........I've never played with the MX4, as i'm solely on PC, but as far as vanguard goes, it's a great synth, but it's not anywhere near as flexible as Albino2 IMHO. Albino2 is just capable of a lot more sounds....and alot more interesting from a sound design aspect. Definitely go with the albino2.

peace! 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

wtf? :)
fractalism wrote:
stefancrs wrote:I would choose albino2. But then again, I wouldn't, because for me, the synth I'll release shortly will be better :) (aimed at the same kind of style I'd say, sorry for the shameless plug :))
Isdjan, although it's often nice to be able to include it in the presets, some people don't like having delays or other fx included in the instruments, and some do.
vad är det för plugg du ska släppa nudå?

I had no idea you made vst stuff.
:roll:
Look at my sig? :) Anyway, it's a synth made in SynthMaker.
claes@vemberaudio wrote:men min kommer vara ännu bättre, så är det.. :P
I for sure expect it to be, don't let me down :)
Hellbilly wrote:jævla svenskere.....

:hihi:
stfu.
Urs wrote:Den er ingenting! Snagger inglsk nu!

;) Urs
Wtf? Urs? I did not see that one coming :) Some weird kind of danish.

Heck, here's a current screenshot. Still quite some stuff to be done though (the preset panel is just a place-holder)

Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Return to “Instruments”