Problem: Having to reboot to detect midi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all. Great site!

I'm fairly new to VST plugins, but Ive recently got into using Chainer with a few synths such as the mighty M42, and Z3Ta ... and its great.

My problem is tho, that every now and then Chainer, or Fruity Loops etc will hit an error - such as when I try to open one too many VSts at once - and then I lose the midi keyboard connection for the entire PC. i.e. If I then want to play any synth I have to reboot the PC before it will detect the midi keyboard again.

I suspect this might be a common sort of error (maybe linked to the Asio thingummy). But I was wondering if there was a way to stop it happening, or to easily enable the mid keyboard again without yet another REEEEBOOT!! :)

(Ive tried disabling all sorts of progs running in the background to try and enable the keyboard again when it goes awol, but to no avail)

Thanks for any suggestions

---

My specs are

Windows XP pro
Creative Midi-keyboard (Blush!) :roll:
Creative SoundBlaster Live
Athlon 1.8ghzCPU
1gb Ram

--
Last edited by Tinfish on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

that happens to me too........ :( i'm shure its a winxp prob.

Don't use hosts that crash like that. Notify the host developers when they do crash.
Don't do it my way.

>"Don't use hosts that crash like that. Notify the host developers when they do crash".
----

Thanks for the reply Boro.

I suspect tho that the trouble Im having isnt down to any particular VST software - since most of the VST gear I use will experience a glitch every so often (and most of the vst hosts and plugins on the market are probably erratic and glitchy now and then, I suspect).

So basically what Im asking is: is there any way to reset the midi keyboard in WindowsXP without having to reboot my PC each time?

If not, then is there perhaps a software utility that would allow me to reset the midi keyboard/ Asio setup etc.

And if not, then if I upgraded my soundcard and/or keyboard, would this help overcome the problem of having to reboot?

Thanks

-- [/quote]

Anyone?

If this midi keyboard works with usb u can try to change port. It helped here.

I have a similar problem with usb external hard drives. For some reason, some times they are not detected on startup. I haven't been able to figure out why, or if there is a pattern to it. What works for me most times is to unplug and replug the device, although sometimes I have to turn the drive's power off and back on (but I have read this last thing is bad for your pc, so try it at your own risk).
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick-boxing.

Return to “Instruments”