Synths that sequence

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ouroboros wrote::lol:
Shameless, in all the right ways.:) I'm glad I was their for the great name change of '05.
It's fun though. Kinda' like wearing a mask or something. Gives one a whole new persona...

Might do it again tomorrow.

:D

I don't exactly use "sequencers" on synths, but I'm defenitely LOVING all sorts of synced stuff - including multibreakpoint envelopes, LFOs, step followers, arpeggiators, and heck, yes, all those actually make up for some onboard sequencing IMO.
Here's just some snipplet of sounds I may use, impossible without all that onboard "sequencing" - pretty much over the top towards the end, but hey, I just slapped some of the ones I knew they were existing together... (apart from the drumloop everything contains one or the other bit of "sequencing"):
http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/temp/SF_sequenced.mp3

Let's say I just like "tonal grooves".
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

ooh, is this a cover of broken wings ? :hihi:

nice vibe Sascha :)

I love onboard sequencers on synths, Vaz+2 is on most of my recent stuff, just got Tera2 and that has a great sequencer.

love em :love:
Sascha Franck wrote:I don't exactly use "sequencers" on synths, but I'm defenitely LOVING all sorts of synced stuff - including multibreakpoint envelopes, LFOs, step followers, arpeggiators, and heck, yes, all those actually make up for some onboard sequencing IMO.
Here's just some snipplet of sounds I may use, impossible without all that onboard "sequencing" - pretty much over the top towards the end, but hey, I just slapped some of the ones I knew they were existing together... (apart from the drumloop everything contains one or the other bit of "sequencing"):
http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/temp/SF_sequenced.mp3

I use the sequencer in VAZ Modular all the time. It's a bit different though as it is a full fledged pattern-based step sequencer, so you can write whole songs in it. I use step sequencers a lot as modulators too, mostly on filters, gating, volume or distortion effects.

Rhino has a step sequencer for pitch as well as envelopes like Crystal and Sytrus. I've made patches with it, but more as an exercise than with the explicit purpose of using the sound to make a song.

Most elaborate synth sounds tend to be fairly useless in most musical settings. For instance, write a track around one of those "long evolving pads" that all the FM synthesizers have, the ones with lots of tinkly fairy dust going on. They can be applied to music, but your options as a composer are often severely limited by them unless you go out of your way to reconfigure the sound or you make sure that their rococo stylings are restrained somewhat.

If you do a quick scan of most musical styles that employ synths, they tend to stick with fairly restricted and simple sounds, and instead rely on layering and juxtaposition with other sounds to build complexity. If you use a "song-in-a-patch," you tend to crowd up the spectrum, making it tougher to add in any complimentary but separate timbres from other sounds. Often they are most useful as ornamentation, rather than the driving sound of the song.

Sascha's clip is a good example of making good use of these kinds of sounds. While it is still a complex patch, it isn't so garish as to crowd stuff up, as it is restrained to a limited pitch field. But try writing a song with the Microsoft Sound (the Eno-made intro sound that came with Win95/98), and your options are fewer.

I do a lot of drone/noise work, and some of the synth sounds can get rather detailed, but I often get more mileage out of free running oscillators and a bunch of stacked effects/routers than I do with with ornate programming in the synth itself.

That said, sequenced patches can be very useful for live playing, as you can access complex patterns in an unpredictable manner, a bit beyond just pressing the start button. Makes for easy tranposition, too.

Cheers,
Steve

sasha
IMO that's exactly what synth sequences best lend themselves to.

And it kind of answers the original question raised at the start of this thread :wink:

(nice groove, sasha)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

CypherOne wrote:I find sequences are fairly useless, a bit like arpeggios, unless you want to sound like a load of factory presets. It really depends how much you can tweak the sequence I guess.
I use the Arpeggiator in ALBINO quite a lot.
It only sounds "preset" if I hold down 1
long continuous note or chord and use just
the Arpeggio.
If I use various note lengths and syncopation
and "play" the Arpeggiator it comes alive.

Like any tool ....you just have to know how to use it.

I use sequences, but then again..I program my own and they become presets for the synth :-)

But if you get maybe two or more going all synced up..it sounds pretty cool!

TC

I think the ultimate 'sequencer synth' is Xphraze. It was designed with sequences (phrases) in mind. The 'push one key to hear a whole arrangement' patches are pretty lame though. They do show just how powerful the synth is, but come on, who is ever going to use them? That aside, it's probably my favorite vst.

Let's not forget Wusikstation... You can get pretty useful sequences from the thing :D

Joxer the Mighty wrote:I think the ultimate 'sequencer synth' is Xphraze. It was designed with sequences (phrases) in mind. The 'push one key to hear a whole arrangement' patches are pretty lame though. They do show just how powerful the synth is, but come on, who is ever going to use them? That aside, it's probably my favorite vst.
You know, you can make you own "push one button and hear a whole arrangement" patches.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

interesting. I never really understood why people wanted the 16 step sequencer for 303 clones, as it seemed easy enough to program in one's actual sequencer, but I suppose that it ultimately is a workflow issue (and probably a cpu issue, too).
..what goes around comes around..

I like using a sequencer to modulate the filter cutoff. It's a really cool effect. :)

HI

This is why I am looking foward to Reaktor V5 - it looks like they have some interesting additions to this aspect of things.

I like the idea of having a versatile synth with a usable on board sequencer - specifically for tweaking things like pitch/filter/resonance/modulation - I just find it easier than automating through a host.

Flipper.

original flipper wrote:HI
..I like the idea of having a versatile synth with a usable on board sequencer - specifically for tweaking things like pitch/filter/resonance/modulation - I just find it easier than automating through a host.
A I said above, sequencers
and arpeggiators in synths
are meant to be played.
Many people seem to just
hold down a note/chord then
write them off as "naff"
without trying to play the
sequence......

Music is about human input
people! You have to play it.

Joxer
I think the ultimate 'sequencer synth' is Xphraze.
You know, after the last update I'm not so sure as I was about XP.

I bought all the upgrade packs and was underwhelmed, especially with such good offerings from Wusik, ManyStation and M42.

But hey, surfing on the wave of your enthusiasm, I'll have another crack at XP tonight :wink:

muku
A I said above, sequencers
and arpeggiators in synths
are meant to be played.
Many people seem to just
hold down a note/chord then
write them off as "naff"
without trying to play the
sequence......

Music is about human input
people! You have to play it.
100% right 8)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Instruments”