played a real minimoog today and...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or take a photo with your digital camera lol

I think software may be better for some things than hardware. For instance, in my opinion SampleTank is more useful as a "sound box" than a Triton. I'd sooner use a giant multi-sampled piano in a softsampler than use a Motif. However, I'd rather use a real piano than either of those. :D

The difference in sound is pretty noticable. I think it tends to mainly be a VST thing, as Creamware and Powercore synths don't tend to have that "sameness" that VSTs seem to have. I'd like to think that someone will come up with a new standard to replace VST, but until that happens real analog will always have a place in the hearts of analog enthusiasts.

If you don't hear the difference then that's just fine. I'm not asking you to hear it, but I hear it, and most non-musicians can hear the difference too. I'm not making fun of you for thinking Z3ta+ sounds decent, so don't make fun of me for wanting an Evolver.
Excuse all the blood.

Lawnmower Of The Damned wrote: I'd like to think that someone will come up with a new standard to replace VST, but until that happens real analog will always have a place in the hearts of analog enthusiasts.
What does the VST standard have to do with how the synths sound? That's like saying you hope they come up with a color red that makes cars go faster than the currently limited speed color red.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

"Real Analogue" is a giant pain in the arse, period, all that f**king about with cables, noise reduction, hum reduction, tuning drift, bleugh :cry: only really worthwhile on a decent synth like a 2600 or any other modular, vsti's are at a level now that they can replace all that old shit so people can get on with making music instead of donning a white coat and being Thomas Dolby MkII :hihi: I think its easy to fall into the trap of convincing yourself that analogue sounds "better" than software especially if you've shelled out big time for the privilege :D

True... the 20% improvement of analog over vsti's sound is not worth the 200% pain in the arse analogs can be. I honestly use my samples of the moog rather than the real thing. Vsti's are getting better and better.

22.7% at least.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

Hold on...S_A_P originally posted that he had seen this MiniMoog and informed us all about how wrong it was...hence I said " a piece of hardware of this age and the probability of problems in the future." yet he was still tempted.

The majority of us on this forum (forgive me if I am wrong) I presume are home recordists and hence getting gooey over an old analogue synth, which is unreliable, is pure folly.

farlukar wrote: You mark the positions of all knobs and switches on a patch sheet so you can later recreate the identical sound.
Wanna buy some of my patches?
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

JohnVulich wrote:Image
amen. :lol:
peace, Image

I have never heard an analog synth, period. I might like one if I heard one, but perhaps not.

<WARNING> sappy ideas about music ahead <WARNING>

Even with my crappy Casio CWK-1630 with its MUCH less than realistic sounds (saxaphone=mangled wolf howling), it is still much more enjoyable for me to record a sound by actually touching (who ever came up with that idea :roll: ) the keyboard keys than by punching notes in a piano roll editor. There is something about the melding of mind and machine that happens when you have a tangible control over your music that makes your tracks that much better. Even with a bad synth, some kind of hardware interface is much better than a mouse.

just me two-bit thoughts

we need more threads like this at KVR

Sascha Franck wrote:
farlukar wrote: You mark the positions of all knobs and switches on a patch sheet so you can later recreate the identical sound.
Wanna buy some of my patches?
:lol:

I have never heard an analog synth, period. I might like one if I heard one, but perhaps not.
I guess you're Amish then. See if you can get somebody to sneak an AM radio into your camp.

farlukar wrote:You mark the positions of all knobs and switches on a patch sheet so you can later recreate the identical sound.
That's how I used ta do it, yup yup, except... identical? Would you settle for "close?" :-D

Still got some of my Moog Modular, ARP 2600, and minimoog patch sheets from the early 1970s... there's nothing terribly interesting in there (hey, I was just a kit in high school) but it was fun recreating the sounds in MMV, etc. Some didn't come out the way my imperfect memory remembers 'em sounding, and others were dead on.

greendoor wrote: I guess you're Amish then. See if you can get somebody to sneak an AM radio into your camp.
:D :D :D
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “Instruments”