How to trigger a allready recorded Drumset????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I'm drummer of a band from eastern Germany (www.o-heroes.de (http://www.o-heroes.de)) , that is since the last weeks recording for its new album. While recording and mixing the drums we had and have some serious problems: At first we had to recognice, that the mics we used were not as good, as they could record the whole frequency-spectrum, that is required for a convincing record. The next problem, that apeared, was, that we were not able to compensate this drawback through mixing. I have heard, that there is a way to trigger the drums after recording, but i neither know how to do this nor how to work with VST-Plugins or how to get them installed to the software i use. Perhaps someone of you could help me solving this problems? The Software i work with is Samplitude V8.0 pro.
Thanks...

First of all I think you should consider getting the proper mikes and do the drums all over.

It depends a bit on how you recorded the sessions before, by playing like a band and record, or doing takes with drums and other instruments separately.

When recording like a band there will always be bleeding over to other mikes in the session, making it difficult to get new drumtracks without interference of old recording.

Otherwise I think you can use a beat slicer in a softsampler on the drumtrack to get a miditrack from that. And after that use a sampled drumset to get the mix fixed to your liking.

No a new record is not possible (There is not enough time and money).
We recorded the drumset on four tracks: snare, base, overheads+HiHat, toms.

To answer the question directly, there are several plugins like Tobybears PeakFreak that can convert audio to midi notes. That way you can trigger samples with the recorded drum tracks.

However, re-recording is a preferred option. But don't blame the mikes too soon! There is hardly a mike with a freq response so bad that it can't be used to record drums. Very important in this is where to place the mike. Position and direction is of utter importance when recording drums. This is not easy to get right, even with the most appropriate mikes.

I have done drum recordings with only 4 dynamic mikes like Shure SM58. Far from optimal, but very useful results nevertheless. I had to experiment a lot with noisegates, parametric & graphical EQ plus compressors to get nice sounding drums. The first few times I tried it sounded like somebody hitted a pile of wet newspapers. Later on, after a lot of work, the very same recordings sounded excellent, like rock drums should.

So don't blame the mikes & recordings too soon. Have another try, and experiment again. I know you can get results nevertheless.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

You might want to try a program called Drumagog.

http://www.drumagog.com/

It replaces impulses (Bass/snare drum) and triggers a sample.

it's not going to help you with the overhead stuff but will maybe do for the bass drum and snare.

This is all assuming you are working from pc and not tape.

Thanks for your replys. I hope they will help me a bit. Otherwise i will consult this forum again. :lol:

there is something from smartelectronix forthis something trigger, I have to leave now I try and dig it up tonight, he has intruction on how to do what your talking about trigering samples.
Nobody's a nobody...

maximilians1 wrote:there is something from smartelectronix forthis something trigger, I have to leave now I try and dig it up tonight, he has intruction on how to do what your talking about trigering samples.
i'll do it for you, maximilians1 ;)

it is ktdrumtrigger by koen of smartelectronix.. i didn't use it for now and have no experience with this plug doing the replacement of real drumtracks, but it's worth the try (and it's free as well ;))
http://koen.smartelectronix.com/

this is a vst-plugin, don't know if you can use it in samplitude.

thanks raw. I've been playing around with it using drum hits on my desk for sample triggering and it work well, neat little program lots of parameters and three filters per instance
Nobody's a nobody...

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Thanks for your help but i found a vst-plug that triggers and samples quiet good: drumagod (www.drumagog.com (http://www.drumagog.com))

What did your mic setup look like/what's missing in the drum sounds? If kick and snare aren't cutting through, KTdrumtrigger and a nice set of samples will clear that problem up, once you rerecord them into your host, and compensate for the latency. If the cymbals/hats sound like crap there's not much else you can do other than turn them down and EQ very carefully. Also, if you want the kick to cut through and do have a dedicated kick mic (as it appears you do) try copying and pasting the kick to a new track and run a guitar amp sim on the second kick to reinforce the original. It won't have to be loud in the mix at all, but will add a lot of the attack of the kick that often gets lost in a mix with bass and guitars.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

Return to “Instruments”