Knobs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No sorry I am an engineer >:)

Yes, but that looks ugly, unprofessional etc ... and it really is not easy to cut such smal circles, certainly not if you need loads of them ( 32 per sheet, 10 sheets or so ... )

dud'e it's not that hard. Buy a Novation X Station or Kstation. Tons of knobs. Use midi learn with Reaktor.

A punch would be better than scissors. Engineering or Craft shops have tools for punching holes in things.

http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2000 ... plates.pdf
I'm thinking of getting one of these, and found these templates (pdf format) which, I beleive, are meant to be printed and cut out by hand...

What about the Doepfer Drehbank? Easy enough to print your own overlays...
http://www.doepfer.de/db.htm
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

xerocreep wrote:the phatboy comes with a pre set bunch of cover panels and a couple plastic panels you can write on with a grease pencil :shrug:

they pop over the knobs, but then, there arent that many knobs on it compared to new stuff... I should dust mine off one of these days.
and send it to me :D:D

bozzieman wrote:No sorry I am an engineer >:)

Yes, but that looks ugly, unprofessional etc ... and it really is not easy to cut such smal circles, certainly not if you need loads of them ( 32 per sheet, 10 sheets or so ... )
If you really want to be professional, them memorize what the various knobs do, and templates won't be an issue. :hihi:

If you want the ultimate in knob boxes, then build one with a small LCD display near each control. The display would give the function, and any other relevant info, for that particular control.

If you don't like the idea of several LCD displays, there are some alternatives:

Alphanumeric Character LEDs - last much longer than LCDs, but are bulky

Organic LED display panels - New technology, very sharp and colorful, more energy efficient than standard LEDs, can be made into small video display panels

Vacuum Florescent Displays - More energy efficient than standard LEDs, not as rugged or long lived. (an LCD alternative)

Minature CRTs - Display text, pictures, video, whatever you want.

A matrix-array of selenoids which renders the legend in Braille -- good for those dimly lit stages. (If you can read Braille.)

Place proximity sensors on each knob, which trigger an onboard speech synth, literally telling you what each knob does -- just before you actually touch it. You could even pipe this voice prompt into an earbud, for private monitoring.

My personal favorite:

Giant Alphanumeric Nixie Tubes.
Not practical, but highly unique. You would probably be the first person on earth to own and use a nixie knob box. It would look especially cool, if all your controls were vernier knobs, and you had a Jacob's Ladder (inside a protective plexiglass tube) mounted on top of your knob box.

:hihi:
McLilith

Return to “Instruments”