Favorite Drum Loops Methods ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With all the great tools out there to enhance our looping experiences, I was wondering---How do most of you work with drum loops?
Do you use a program like Stylus RMX, Intakt, etc., or do you prefer to play parts in using a sampler?
If so, which programs?
How about audio?
Does anybody still arrange individual .wavs in their sequencer?

Thanks in advance for your input and insights.

XanaX wrote: Does anybody still arrange individual .wavs in their sequencer?
Pretty much, by using a grid based drum sampler like the old Roland/Boss ones, but software.

i use a combination of ShortCircuit, phatmatik pro, and Dicer. SC and Dicer are both superb for really messing with drum loops, and the phat is great for quick and dirty reworking. I usually make my own loops too. well, at least 60 percent of the time.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I tend to chop them up manually with Adobe Audition to get the control I want. With FLStudio as a host, I then load up all the seperate wav's of the loop in their own channel. That way I can change tempo, rearrange, and edit the indivual files more then i can with the slicer. Also, I can invert the waveform if there are any phasing issues with other elements in the track, and send different slices to different effect channels on the mixer. It takes a bit of work, but I haven't found an affordable slicer that gives me the control I want.

One thing that bothers me is that I have never heard a slicer give the cut-off slices good tails. It sucks to make the tails manually in AA as you sometimes have to do it 16 times for 1 loop, but if the result then fits PERFECTLY with the track then it's worth it.

Also, I would never use a loop by itself for an element of a song.

XanaX wrote:Does anybody still arrange individual .wavs in their sequencer?
Of course 8)

I occasionally use sliced loops because they give good results with much less effort, but definitely not as satisfying as doing it the good old old fashioned way. I doubt I would do as much drum programming as I do if I didn't own FL Studio - assembling and processing a drum track in any other host just feels so clunky, compared to FL's totally inspired workflow.

If I had Stylus RMX I would probably use sliced loops for just about everything, though :D I figure I've proven that I can program drums well enough that I shouldn't have to struggle with it each time...

actually, my new thing seems to be using the audio parts in Energy XT for drum loops. I love chopping them to bits manually. the control is second to none that way,and it is very quick and easy. Even better, you can use the pattern variations on audio parts the same way you can with midi tracks; I just can't say enough about that feature. The only thing that would make it better would be to have the midi triggering of audio parts inside the sequencer as well as in the audio part modules... heh, any XT fiends here that know what I am talking about?
see, now I am all itching to play with XT so I will write at you later.
cheerz. :D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I have been using buzz lately instead of FL. The tracking interface is useful for drum mangling. You can record like a loop of your song into little pieces within the program and then mess and rearrange them for later parts of the song. it allows a lot of complexity to be added in a short amount of time and work. I'm happy its free or else I never would have started using it.
Do not lick the fablanky

slice,dice,granularise add delay distortion and more granularising,then mix up in crusher x till they sound as much like drums as well not drums :P

Basically I just recycle all of them in the first place. That way they're prepared for further mangling.
Lately MicroDicer has been replacing ReCycle more and more.
Oh, and I'd still use Phatmatik too, but Art (ART, where are you?!?) has never notified me of the 1.1 update and previous versions didn't allow trimming of loops, which is somewhat crucial for me.

In addition to slicing them, I just love dragging individual slices onto drum samplers (basically DR-008 and Battery, each offering certain advances) of my choice and have the loop play right there. Then I may replace individual slices.

I'm also using something else right now... we'll see.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “Instruments”