Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Modeler
KVRian

605 posts since 7 Jul, 2004, from Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd dimensions.

Postby Modeler; Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:57 am

I asked Mike the same question a while back as I'd been wondering if this was possible:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=60

What I think we need here is for some SID gurus to step forward and make a few banks of presets for quadraSID with all of our favourite Galway / Hubbard / Last Ninja type sounds. In fact, I might have a go myself... where's that big book of subtractive synthesis? :-o

BTW - I have tried SID2MIDI in the past and don't think it's worth using. For starters, you know how programmers used fast arpeggios to 'fudge' a chord through one channel? It doesn't handle those and you end up with a chunk of disjointed, out-of-tune MIDI data. The best way to convert a SID file to a MIDI file is to do it from scratch, by ear.
Analogue or digital – which is better? There's only one way to find out... FI-I-IGHT!!!
stefancrs
KVRAF

4630 posts since 20 Feb, 2004, from Gothenburg, Sweden

Postby stefancrs; Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 am

Do THAT with the opium tunes by DAF!
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency
Modeler
KVRian

605 posts since 7 Jul, 2004, from Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd dimensions.

Postby Modeler; Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:07 am

I don't think anyone's ever made extra banks for quadraSID. Chris Huelsbeck / DHS did the factory banks and they're the only ones I've seen.

Michael Kleps mooted that it would be relatively simple to reprogram SID sounds into quadraSID by hand. If only I wasn't a lame-assed preset monkey.
Analogue or digital – which is better? There's only one way to find out... FI-I-IGHT!!!
TechnoWeeniePas
KVRist

488 posts since 2 Jun, 2004, from Colorado

Postby TechnoWeeniePas; Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:14 am

jmh wrote:TechnoWeeniePas I didn't personally find SIDStation that amazing at all, quite the opposite. While the patch editing side was good, doing things with that small screen and a couple of buttons and knobs wasn't my cup of tea at all. However, the biggest disappointment was the sound output quality which is really overhyped and misrepresented by Elektron. Frankly they could have provided a way better quality but took the easy way out claiming it's authentic - funny that I have 64s that provide less noise. And I have a couple of modified machines with some extra functionality (second SID and individual outputs) that put SIDStation to shame in that regard. All this with a little knowledge of electronics and sacricifing none of the authenticity.

Just passed getting a used SIDStation because of the output quality. Really disappointing :( As much as I love 64 stuff, forking out that kind of money for such a lousy quality isn't my thing.

Nods. The small screen was quite an anoyance, but I really liked the layout and the controll interface. But thats just personal oppinion. I wasnt that happy with the noise level myself either but I found that adding an old unused gate guitar petal helped emencly. It wasnt to the point of unusability to me though as I havent had a good working C64 in years (my current is the second model with the 6582) Its been noisy for quite some time but I havnt had time to go through it and track down the failing caps and test all the power diodes and such. The other thing that brought me to like the sidstation soo much was that I picked one up super cheap! So it was well worth the money I paid for it...I think that new and with the prices that they currently sell for on Ebay that they are way overpriced...but if you can score a good deal I think its worth it even with the noise...the screen issue can be delt with in my book without too much problem...but I also started on old 80s synths with tiny screens (like the TX81Z)!
"I'm not here for your cold roast chicken, I'm here for your love."
-Vanna White, Goddess of Love
jmh
KVRian

1410 posts since 8 Dec, 2002

Postby jmh; Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Hmm... are you sure your machine has a 6582 in it? If so, I'd be more than interested in purchasing it and providing you a 8580 in return so you're not without a SID?

It would complete my collection (hey, everybody collects something, so why not SIDs :P)... I've seen these mentioned a couple of times and there used to be a cartridge once upon a time that had such a rarity*, but I've never found a single chip anywhere (which leads me to believe a limited number was leaked into products before the chip became 8580).

* It's a rarity only for geeks like me, it's not like there is a huge collector culture around them :) But I'm still more than interested in it if it really is a 6582.

Regards,

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!
TechnoWeeniePas
KVRist

Postby TechnoWeeniePas; Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:48 pm

I will recheck to make sure but I am almost posative...give me a day or two...still havnt unpacked that box since the move.
TechnoWeeniePas
KVRist

Postby TechnoWeeniePas; Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:19 pm

I unpacked it last night and opened it up...looks like this one has the 8580R5...I used to have one with a 6582...It was one of the sendond casing C64s that was more stretched out and not as tall. The one I have now though is more standard I guess. This is my 4th C64...but I have abunch of friends that still have C64s so I will ask them to check theirs to.
jmh
KVRian

1410 posts since 8 Dec, 2002

Postby jmh; Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:25 pm

Bummer... but cool if you'll ask you friends :) I'm not yet prepared to give up finding one.

Regards,

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!
Mike from reFX
KVRian

539 posts since 26 Feb, 2001, from Vancouver / Canada

Postby Mike from reFX; Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:24 am

Algorythm wrote:...I thought that if a vsti sid emulation could import .sid files, then it could play them too, and as i know sid vstis have all better sound than Sidplay.So they could have been "perfect" players...

So you think that QuadraSID sounds better then CCS64??? Bad idea. I licensed the SID-emulation from CCS64... How come it suddenly sounds better when I do use it instead of the original programmer using it?
dashfiss
KVRer

2 posts since 20 Feb, 2014

Postby dashfiss; Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 am Re: Import .sid files in a C64 vsti

Heia, time to necro this one, seeing as there's still plenty of love around for the SID :)

Many say it's is difficult to do what's suggested by OP, but you're going about it the wrong way.

1. Make VST with all of the HVSC built in, and the resid engine for playback
2. Find a SID, play it, isolate the voice you want
3. Play back, "record" some of the stream into memory, and then play back that segment to make sure you've captured the sound you wanted
4. Trim it into a proper instrument, front and back. The stream is not infinite, so that's very possible. Single cycle trimming for fine tuning, but also a button to trim 1 sec and 0.1 sec. Or make it all a number of cycles (1, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000), you'll get a feel for it sooner rather than later. All of the values need to be +/- front AND back, in case you trim too much. The stream is not actually cut until you save, all of the recorded stream is stored in memory while you trim.

Voila, and you have a VST that can play back ANY SID SOUND EVER MADE, IN YOUR FAVOURITE DAW.

The resid routine has already been made, it is in a language compatible with the VST format, it's just waiting for someone to combine the two and make the trimming and saving functionality.

Sure, there might be something technical that makes this 100% impossible, because I'm not a programmer, but if not, this is how you make a real SID VST. QuadraSID and SIDizer are great softwares, but they don't sound like SID sounds, not even the patches tbh. So why not use sounds already made? You'd have enough AUTHENTIC sounds to last you several lifetimes!

And I can't for the life of me fathom why this wasn't done 20 years ago... but here we are :)
twolegstoneworks
KVRian

1374 posts since 12 Jun, 2003, from Denmark

Postby twolegstoneworks; Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 am Re:

Modeler wrote:I don't think anyone's ever made extra banks for quadraSID. Chris Huelsbeck / DHS did the factory banks and they're the only ones I've seen.

Michael Kleps mooted that it would be relatively simple to reprogram SID sounds into quadraSID by hand. If only I wasn't a lame-assed preset monkey.

There was an extra bank created by Rob Hubbard, and then I did a bank for it, which is freeware these days.. I have a bit of history with the C64 aswell ;)
http://twolegstoneworks.com/products/ths-1-revisited
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3786 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 am Re: Import .sid files in a C64 vsti

Too bad QuadraSID was abandoned...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)