Potential New Customer - Modulation Problems!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I'm in the market for an FM synth for Logic Pro, and really there are only two clear options - FM8 and Octopus. Note that I'm only interested in the FM capabilities of both synths.

I am basically trying to compare both products and then buy whichever I prefer. So far I like Octopus, but there is something troubling me that might stop me buying.

When modulating a carrier, the values are maxed out in Octopus but they're not even half way in FM8. In fact, even comparing Octopus to Logic's EFM1, while Octopus is maxed out, EFM1 only needs to modulate just past half way to make a comparable sound. If this is confusing, I apologise. I've took screenshots to show what I mean, which are below. Note that both configurations produce exactly the same sound - in the FM8 example, I have a carrier which feeds back on itself, and a modulator at max. In the EFM1 example, it is just a carrier and modulator.
Octopus vs FM8.jpg
Octopus vs EFM1.jpg
Is there any way to modulate frequencies any further similar to FM8, or is this the ceiling that Octopus provides? I'd like to push Octopus further. It's important that I can quickly recreate a patch made in one to the other as while I may want to use Octopus, someone else I work with elsewhere may use FM8. If both programs can't modulate frequencies in a similar way then that would be a problem.

Thanks
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bump - no-one has an answer?

To clarify I'm looking to modulate an oscillator even further than you can currently, to the level you can in FM8. There might be a setting I don't know about, but it's going to be important for me to achieve this in Octopus.

It could well be Octopus has a less deep FM, we've never compared it to any other FM synth. However, none of our sound designers ever found it too limited, but of course you need to decide for yourself if thats a problem for you.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that limitations are worrying me so much as being able to translate the patches created between the various FM synths available that clients may use. For instance if I have to use FM8 with a client, but then can't recreate that patch in Octopus at a later date then that would obviously be a problem.

I should say that I would prefer to use Octopus as I'm happy with the plugins Linplug make an not so happy with the plugins NI make. That's why I'm trying hard to understand Octopus, but also have to consider that others I work with may use something different.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from, but I'll have more of a play around and if anything crops up then I'll make sure to ask.

Sure, its all good. We're never aiming to be able to recreate something, so the ability to recreate a FM8 patch would be purely accidential :) Thanks for the kind words, and you interest in Octopus!

I hope you don't mind me continuing asking questions in this thread, but I thought it would be best to keep it all in one place.

First of all the 'obvious answer' questions - I don't find an option for split sounds, nor do I see the ability to specify accents in the step sequencer so I assume they're not a feature?

The manual doesn't explain the need for negative numbers when setting oscillator modulation, and I can't hear a difference when switching between positive and negative. It must do something?

I'd also like to know how to set up an LFO. I'm used to having a big dial reading 'LFO' so it's not something I've had to do before.

EDIT : I originally had a question regarding KBD Scaling Envelopes but this is now answered, so I've removed it from the post

Thanks again, and btw, judging on how Octopus is sounding to me so far I'm unsure whether FM8 is overpriced or Octopus is underpriced!

Right, there is no split and no accent in the simple step sequencer. There is no LFO either, its all done by envelopes, because envelopes in Octopus a free drawn and can be looped. The Octopus comes with a selection of predefined looped envelopes (see the menu right of the envelope matrix, it contains a "Load Envelope" entry).
About the positive and negative it certainly does something, though its not always audible. Basically its a 180 degree phase shift and as you might know phase plays a significant role in FM synthesis.

Thanks Peter. I'll have another play around and put it into practice - with regards to positive and negative numbers you're right, I'm probably messing around in a way that isn't audible.

I am actually having a new issue with regards to the portamento toggle. It doesn't appear to recognise an already held note - if you select one voice, hold any note, and then press it's octave equivalent it glides as expected, but then releasing that note should trigger the original pitch - but it doesn't. Every other synth I own does this no problem.

I did also want to edit the post title as I'm no longer a potential new customer but an actual customer based on both the plugin and the nice support given. I think me and Octopus will be very happy together, but I now wish I took advantage of the 50% extra sounds :-D

Then thank you for your order, Tom,

about voices you observed right again, Octopus has no true mono mode, unfortunately.

It's actually not a problem in theory because there is always an alternative way to play those notes, but I wanted to double check that it wasn't a bug and also clarify the way it works (which you've done obviously).

EDIT : I felt I should come back and clarify that the behaviour I was missing is fully implemented by activating 'Unison' mode, but when not activated then what was described still occurs.

I have a final question but it's not regarding Octopus but CM-505 which I use all the time. I'm experiencing some GUI issues in Logic and wondered what support is offered? Is this something to do through the website?
Last edited by tomdot on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CM-505 is pretty outdated, we just had a talk to the CM guys and while we are reworking Alpha-CM there will be no update to CM-505. You may send a support mail or ask here at kvr, but we wont make any further updates to CM-505.

Ah ok - it wasn't a massive issue, but I was experiencing an unresponsive GUI when loading in Logic Express 9 in OSX Mavericks. Once you change the preset it sorts itself out, but it's only a little annoying. I can still use the plugin. It's a shame you won't update it as I use it a lot and it's my go to synthetic drum machine.

Return to “LinPlug”