For all you FM lovers out there...

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

Hey, this sounds awsome but I've run into somewhat of a snag. I've checked out the unofficial manual but it didnt really help me with my problem!

I'm opening the opm files but I'm only getting "one" of the sounds used in the song. Like for instance, in the Wiz'n'Liz opening theme I only get the first sound. Have I missed something? Are all the instruments used in the song stored in the opm or just one "base"?
I'm clueless here!

Pimmelfotze wrote:Hey, this sounds awsome but I've run into somewhat of a snag. I've checked out the unofficial manual but it didnt really help me with my problem!

I'm opening the opm files but I'm only getting "one" of the sounds used in the song. Like for instance, in the Wiz'n'Liz opening theme I only get the first sound. Have I missed something? Are all the instruments used in the song stored in the opm or just one "base"?
I'm clueless here!
Yeah, they should all be there. On my system, you just scroll through them. There are an average of around 8-12 sounds per file for most of the songs. Basically, each .opm file holds every sound used to create a given BGM track, minus the percussive elements in most cases. They should all be there. You should instrument 1, 2, 3, etc. there. Once you've reached the end, you'll just hear the default sine wave sound.

Hope that helps!
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

Scroll through them, how?
I'm only seeing the basic 7 channels, and switching them doesnt change the instrument.

I'm using Mixcraft by the way.

Pimmelfotze wrote:Scroll through them, how?
I'm only seeing the basic 7 channels, and switching them doesnt change the instrument.

I'm using Mixcraft by the way.
Don't know a thing about Mixcraft, personally. In Cubase, it's pretty simple: there's a bar at the top that has the instruments (i.e., presets) listed. This is the case with all VST 2.x plugins in Cubase. You just click on the little arrows to change sounds. The "ProgNum" field in VOPM also changes with each click of the arrows, but is always 1 digit higher than the field displayed in the bar. So, if you're on "Instrument 0" according to the bar, you'd be on "ProgNum 1", etc.

There's no way I've found to alter the "ProgNum" field directly, sadly.

Unless Mixcraft has some other way of listing the presets, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Might wanna try Reaper. It's very powerful and only $60. Probably a bit more robust than Mixcraft when it comes to VSTs, but that's just a guess.

On a side note, your query got me playing with VOPM again. I'm sending it through Uhbik D (delay), Syntorus (Chorus), and REVerance (Convo reverb), and it just sounds gorgeous. Wow! I'm always impressed with the purity and power of VOPM as a sound source.

A little tip: learn to use AMS, PMS, etc. sliders with the LFO. Especially when set to Noise. You can get some really beautiful 'crackly old vinyl/circuits' types of effects that make it sound both digital and nostalgic at once.

Man, what a synth! :D

Just wanted to give shouts out to all who've downloaded this pack of VOPM sounds... I'm closing in on 1,200 downloads now, and I'm very gratified to see that so many have found this worth checking out.

Among those, how many have found it useful? Anybody have any tracks or experiments they want to share here or on Youtube or Soundcloud or something? I was just messing with this again the other day, going through various games. All I gotta say is that some of these game sound designers back in early-90's Japan were some creative-ass mofos... there's some weird, wonderful FM magic happening in some of these presets. I'm having a gas reverse engineering and tampering with some of them!

Thanks for downloading, everyone! :D

I made an Ace Attorney cover that I posted earlier (page 4), but the auto admin prevents it from working until I get 5 posts apparently. The reason I don't have 5 posts is because the only reason I really signed up to this forum was to thank you for this brilliant collection of presets. It makes working with VOPM so much easier!
Supremacy in a can!

Thanks so much for providing this!

I'm just finding my feet with it all at the moment but I've run into a couple of problems:

Firstly, none of the patches I've tried (at this point only Sonic 2 levels) have any drum sounds in them. I really REAALLYY would like those classic snares and hits from the sonic games but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong place? is there a "Drums.opm" somewhere?

Secondly, whereas some sounds are absolutely perfect (the bass from Oil ocean for example) others don't sound quite right at all (like the lead from Oil Ocean) The lead actually seems to have a certain percussive sound when you lift the keys, and the attack sounds "squelchy". I've tried messing with the release times to no avail. I realise these are just rips and haven't been "tailored" to every track, but was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this.

Once again thanks a million for posting this :love:

boswell255 wrote:Thanks so much for providing this!

I'm just finding my feet with it all at the moment but I've run into a couple of problems:

Firstly, none of the patches I've tried (at this point only Sonic 2 levels) have any drum sounds in them. I really REAALLYY would like those classic snares and hits from the sonic games but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong place? is there a "Drums.opm" somewhere?

Secondly, whereas some sounds are absolutely perfect (the bass from Oil ocean for example) others don't sound quite right at all (like the lead from Oil Ocean) The lead actually seems to have a certain percussive sound when you lift the keys, and the attack sounds "squelchy". I've tried messing with the release times to no avail. I realise these are just rips and haven't been "tailored" to every track, but was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this.

Once again thanks a million for posting this :love:

Ok I did a little reading up on how the genesis handles synthesis.

The drums are mostly sampled and on the "PCM" track. I downloaded an emulator called Gens which allowed me to separate out just the PCM track and sample it, and that worked great. (I might even package some up and upload them, as I couldn't find ANY online).

Whilst doing that I discovered there was another synth track called PSG which seemed to be a simple (subtractive?) synth, or even just a tone generator. Anyway, it seemed to be playing the melody in conjunction with the YM, giving a nice chorus effect which is why the "Oil Ocean" sound didn't sound quite right on its own. I disabled that channel in the emulator, and sure enough the remaining sound matched the VOPM sound.

Still don't know how I'm going to emulate that PSG synth, but it seems to be pretty simple. Probably any 3osc synth, or even VOPM could do it.

So yeah...answered my own questions :P

http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml

I just thought I'd bring the attention of the release of Shiru's VGM Music Maker, a tracker designed for creating Sega Genesis/Megadrive/Master System/Game Gear tracks in .vgm format. (use Winamp's in_vgm or foobar2000 to play back said files) Given they emulate the actual YM2612 and SN76489 chips, anything you make in the tracker is authentic and playable. Mind, for those that have used TFM Music Maker, will know what this is all about.

DrWashington, your time spent ripping presets has come in to much more useful applications now (though we need to convert them yet again. haha)

Man, really glad you all are digging so deeply into this! I still remember the first time I realized what a powerful little synth was inside the Genesis... I was like 10 years old at the time. I think it was the water planet track from Thunder Force III that finally drove the point all the way home with me. I've been into these sounds ever since!

Boswell, thanks for figuring out that Oil Ocean thing... very interesting!

I'm up to 1631 downloads now... if anyone else would like to host these files, please, be my guest! The more this spreads, the more interest in FM synthesis and VOPM will, as well. Hopefully that will mean more and better music. My goal in all this is to get NI or somebody to cave and allow the importing of these .opm files in FM8 (FM9??)

Now, wouldn't THAT be badass?? :lol:

Oh, and as for drum sounds, if somebody would put up a collection of high quality samples, I'm sure many of us would be just thrilled. Not like they sound all that great, but they sure have character!

Not sure how feasible it would be to convert opm patches to FM8. I think the architectures are fairly different. Anyway, I've been thinking of creating my own library of 16-bit inspired sounds for FM8.

I think it would be feasible, considering how malleable FM8's architecture really is. If, for instance, you could have FM8 immediately recognize just what an .opm file is and then make accommodations for it, perhaps it could work!

Of course, I don't know enough about the internal code, but FM is FM, essentially. The math is all the same across the board, necessarily. It's just the routing and value ranges that change.

I say go for it re: the library of 16-bit inspired sounds... that'd be great! Post it here if you decide to do it, please! :)

It's coming along slowly, but I've picked up the pace this week. I want it to be a full-fledged 128 library with lots of sounds directly inspired by old games. Here's a little sample of some of the sounds I have so far:

http://tindeck.com/listen/wgee

GeckoYamori wrote:It's coming along slowly, but I've picked up the pace this week. I want it to be a full-fledged 128 library with lots of sounds directly inspired by old games. Here's a little sample of some of the sounds I have so far:

http://tindeck.com/listen/wgee
Very nice... sounds very Thunder Force IV! I would love to have the library when you're done. Bravo!! 8)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
So, I downloaded this (otherwise amazing) library and found one glaring omission: M.U.S.H.A, my favorite Genesis soundtrack of all time. Turns out the ripping program chokes on the periods in the filename. So I re-ripped the files and I thought I'd share them here. Now you can all make your own totally sweet FM metal tracks. Enjoy!

MUSHA OPM patches.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?s047n73o0j7zg9h)

Return to “Sound Design”