How to get this lush, rich synth?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This guy is really good at creating these lush synth pads, but I can't quite finger out what processing or what synths he might be using in the beginning of this track:

http://soundcloud.com/madeon/madeon-shuriken

Any ideas?

Thanks!

At the beginning of this track I hear 3 oscilators: pulse pwm like, square and saw. On synthesizer level there is also lowpass filter (12db slope), with raised resonance level a little.

Compose the midi chords exacly like in the track above.

Programming timbre:

1. First setup Filter envelope like in traditional pluck sound but with longer decay. Pay attention for similar filter characteristinc not timbre at this stage.
2. Next You must find the timbre. Experiment with unison, I suppose 2 voices per oscillator should be enough. Find detuning setup for those three oscilators. Maybe You will find something more pleasing :) but Madeon lead/pad is great.

3. I hear phaser in the background at the beginning so add one and experiment with it. Setup it around Dry/Wet signal 80/20
4. I hear also there is some turntable noise so use specific plugin for it. If You have Ableton try using: Vinyl Distortion effect crackle parameter.

Good look :)

Also a massive pointer: Madeon makes all his stuff almost exclusively in FL Studio using the synths built right into it, I recall seeing a video of him using Harmor/Harmless. Of course, any other additive/subtractive soft synth can nail those sounds also. But if we're going for exact sounds, FL is where you want to be.

Return to “Sound Design”