Tutorial: How to Make a Madeon Kick & Snare (by Hi Def)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would love more instruction/guidance on this! This is a good tutorial but I seem to be missing some things....

My kick doesnt sound "tight' and punchy but rather bassy and light(?) my snare isnt as good either...

would love help!

is the secret plugin FerricTDS?

Great

im not getting your whole 'secret producer' thing. isn't this essentially about workflow? or rather how YOU prefer to work? isnt that what all secrets are? just a producers favorite way that they find most convenient. i could say the same if my secret was to take a kick and beef it up with the camel phat built in distortion. not getting your point and it looks like im not alone :shrug:

Right, why even pay attention to how good stuff was done.
ImageImageImageImage

AstralExistence wrote:im not getting your whole 'secret producer' thing. isn't this essentially about workflow? or rather how YOU prefer to work? isnt that what all secrets are? just a producers favorite way that they find most convenient. i could say the same if my secret was to take a kick and beef it up with the camel phat built in distortion. not getting your point and it looks like im not alone :shrug:
In a way you're right, yes. But it's not so much about your preferred choice of VST, it's about the type of effect(s) used. For example, it's about knowing what type of distortion to use to achieve the right effect. From there, of course, there are many VST's you could potentially use.

I'll take a basic example of something to try and illustrate my point. In typical, commercial DnB, snare drums are boosted around the 200hz region. So you may think to yourself, ok let's take a nice snare and boost it at 200hz. Would that work? I highly doubt it. So what are we missing? We're obviously missing the process used to create a good snare. There might be 2 or 3 different ways to approach it, but there will be 1 particular, better way that most of the big producers would use. Take or leave my word for it, but I am speaking from experience.

Anyhow, the tutorial wasn't put here to make a point about any of that. It was put here to help people, and if it's helped then great. If not, that's fine.

The secret may very well be parallel compression. And maybe FerricTDS too :D

thank you brotha! this is great,
his kicks and snares punch through the mix so well, its awesome

thank you!

twilitez wrote:The secret may very well be parallel compression. And maybe FerricTDS too :D
Parallel compression can definitely achieve some good results, although I never use it myself. I'm not sure how effective it would be on short, loud samples like snares though? Certainly something to experiment with.

That FerricTDS thing looks quite interesting, the 'saturation' feature might achieve a similar thing that the plug-in I use does. It's all about adding harmonic content through distortion, without really noticeably hearing any distortion. I use a multiband distortion plug-in, and the settings are extremely low.

secret power weapon: FABFilter Saturn ??? ;-)

Codehook wrote:
twilitez wrote:The secret may very well be parallel compression. And maybe FerricTDS too :D
Parallel compression can definitely achieve some good results, although I never use it myself. I'm not sure how effective it would be on short, loud samples like snares though? Certainly something to experiment with.

That FerricTDS thing looks quite interesting, the 'saturation' feature might achieve a similar thing that the plug-in I use does. It's all about adding harmonic content through distortion, without really noticeably hearing any distortion. I use a multiband distortion plug-in, and the settings are extremely low.
FerricTDS does tend to work very nicely on snares and kicks alike. A touch of ohmicide sometimes too. Parallel compression should be just fine on snares, although i understand theres multiple ways to do it. I usually boost somewhere around 650 hz in the eq and roll off most top and low end, then compress to taste. I suppose if you peaked it on a very narrow band around 200 as well that could give it a lot of edge.

Codehook wrote:It's all about adding harmonic content through distortion, without really noticeably hearing any distortion. I use a multiband distortion plug-in, and the settings are extremely low.
Its got to be Ohmicide, Audio Damage Kombinat or a bitcrusher/waveshaper !!

Saturn on drum bus. :love:
ImageImageImageImage

FeelingMachine wrote:
Codehook wrote:It's all about adding harmonic content through distortion, without really noticeably hearing any distortion. I use a multiband distortion plug-in, and the settings are extremely low.
Its got to be Ohmicide, Audio Damage Kombinat or a bitcrusher/waveshaper !!
There's loads of plugins that could do it, but the one I use is a discontinued Steinberg VST. I don't use it quite as much now, as I tend to use a combination of the Sausage Fattener and transient shaping.

Return to “Sound Design”