a-ha The Sun Always Shines On Tv

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there. :)

This is my first time posting on this Forum. So I am sorry If I am posting this in the wrong section.

I was just wondering If anyone here could possibly help me find out what these sounds are?

Here is the Video :) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ir9HC9vYg [ I tried the URL Function but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. ]

The following sounds I am looking for are -

That Oboe sound at the Start during the Intro [ I believe that is an Oboe Synth but with heavy reverb as the original sound itself is very flat and mechanical sounding ],

The Piano at the start [ I am sure this must be from a DX7.. Or maybe a PPG Wave? ]

And the Strings during the Chorus at 2:13 to 2:28[ Hold Me, Close To Your Heart, Touch Me, Give All Your Love To Me ]. These are what I am really hoping to find. :)

If there is anyone who knows how to even re-create these sounds, It would be extremely appreciated and helpful. :D

I am aware that a-ha used a DX7, Juno-60 and PPG Wave during the song If that helps. :)

Sorry for the long post, Hehe.

They'll be samples they will.

Aha had a habit of creating demos (some of which are now on spotify :D ) and then re-recording with other gear.

Greatest band ever :love: :oops:

I'm not sure either but the video gives clues to heavy DX7 and PPG Wave use. Might even be layered sounds.

I must confess, I'm a close a-ha fan, especially the parts produced by Tony Mansfield which me thinks is one of the unsung heroes of electronic dance music, kind of pioneered the hard compression sound far before Daft Punk and a lot of vocoder pop and similar electro pop production techniques came from the early New Musik tracks.

Glad to see so many a-ha fans :D

If they are samples then I am probably out of luck. Would mean it came from a Synclavier that I read about the Studio having.

If they aren't then it could be either of the Digital Synths.

Someone I know thought they were Juno Strings put through a High Pass Filter.

One thing I did notice is that they are very similar to a Solina Machine. I tried it on a VST version and put it against the song on Audacity. Very, very similar.

Though, I am not sure If a-ha would have used 70s tech back then :)

Like your taste in music. I wouldn't be surprised if 70's tech was still being used.

I'm also looking. This is one of my favorite tracks. I wonder if the Yamaha samples were responsible for the Oboe thing? Its probably not an Emu sample. Checking against the buggy as heck ProteusVX VST.

(ETA: Removed quote because I misread it.)

That is, if the dumb ProteusVX VST would work. I tried. :?

Though I would think the strings during the instrumental are Oberheim, due to a rich, warm tone. I think I hear some others that sound like a Solina. Maybe.

I doubt the Oboe is an Emu sample, would sound far more harsh. Suspect it's a DX7 patch myself.

BTW, this SOS article talks more about the production of the album:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/a ... s-0311.htm

And yes there's mentioning of layering of DX7s and PPGs which I think is the key to A-Ha's sound.

ksandvik wrote:I doubt the Oboe is an Emu sample, would sound far more harsh. Suspect it's a DX7 patch myself.

BTW, this SOS article talks more about the production of the album:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/a ... s-0311.htm

And yes there's mentioning of layering of DX7s and PPGs which I think is the key to A-Ha's sound.
Yeah, I tried the DX's default Oboe, and I managed to hear an Emu oboe. Both are far too harsh, though the DX's default Oboe is a little thin to be the sound. The Emu's just sounds ridiculous.

Though if it is a DX, its not using the default patch. They did mention programming their own patches on their website, just for this song. :)

If it helps, The original Oboe sound is actually very different from the mixed down version in the song.

I have the instrumental for the song [ Not the extended version with the added drumming but the actual instrumental track ]. Thing is, It is an unmixed version [ No reverb, EQ or compression ] so everything sounds a bit odd at times. There are even sounds that I've never heard before or that are barely audible in the final song such as a very deep synth pad during the lyrics " Thinking there's got to be someway to keep my troubles distant " and a small sparkle sounding synth during the start up to the Violin Instrumental.

I could show you a quick sample of the intro from it. :)

I'm a big A-ha fan myself, and I've actually been going on a bit of a binge lately. In fact, I was just playing that video for my wife the other day, since she didn't remember it or how the intro continued the Take On Me video.

I don't really hear anything that couldn't be accomplished with DX7, PPG, and Juno 60. I'm extremely familiar with the E-mu library, and neither the piano nor the oboe sound like that to me. Its a very bright piano sample... perhaps a Bösendorfer?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yes, The Oboe in the E-Mu Library is far different.

As for the Piano, It could be from the DX7. It is very sharp sounding.

I've uploaded a sample of the Dry Instrumental [ No Reverb, Compression or Equalization] -

http://www.mediafire.com/?82hhq6hdcw2yadq

I also managed to get a VERY similar String Sound from the Alchemy VST Preset " Orch String " with a few filter and EQ tweaks.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
The Sun Always Shines On Tv.

Thanks for sharing the clip of the instrumental! I found it kind of fascinating to hear what it really sounds like without the effects. The oboe is actually a pretty crude sample, and it was interesting how they would hold the sustaining piano notes until the sound pretty much just cuts out abruptly. I still don't have any better insight as to the source of those samples, but of course the likely suspects would have to be Emulator, Fairlight, or Synclavier.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

You're welcome. The rest of the Instrumental sounds like the one they released for the Extended Version but without the constant drumming and a few effects on the Strings and some synths. It includes the backing vocals too which seem too " faded " when compared to the backing vocals in the full song.

It most likely is from a Synclavier as they used that during their final version of the Hunting High and Low Album.

They used a Fairlight during the production of the 1984 version of Take On Me :)

As for the Piano, Could that also be a sample or from either of the Digital Synths?

I did notice a strange sound on after the third piano hit at around 10 seconds in. Not sure If that is just noise being picked up but it happens every third hit [ Even under the strings. ]

Interestingly, If you copy the Piano and Oboe section and place it against the second part with the strings THEN invert the pasted section, You are able to isolate the strings which sound very similar to the ones on Take On Me. Possibly Juno Strings. :)

I will upload a sample.

EDIT -

Isolated Strings From Intro -

http://www.mediafire.com/?r0k5x13obg49m5b - Possibly Juno?

Chorus Strings -

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ib713k64y6ybfm - Shows the Dry Strings used in the Chorus. Quite a difference from the above Strings. They sound alot more faded and softer then the final mix which could possibly mean that they equalized them, Similar to how the above strings in the other link are barely noticable in the intro when compared to the final mix.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

Aha, was always a great band, even til there recent split a few years ago .

I've heard the Dx7 and Juno 60 synths mentioned in interviews ..

ranger3 wrote:Aha, was always a great band, even til there recent split a few years ago .

I've heard the Dx7 and Juno 60 synths mentioned in interviews ..
I agree. :)

Got to love their songs.

And yes, Mainly a DX7, Juno-60 and a PPG Wave.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

Return to “Sound Design”