Sound Design Course

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

roland_rock wrote:(you've just got to ignore the throat clearing...).
:hihi:
He is obssesive about his throat staying clean.

roland_rock wrote:
elxsound wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:
Syncretia wrote:OK. You have to #$##ing do this course!

Go to:
https://www.coursera.org/courses

And search for "Introduction to sound design". It is awesome! Do it! It's free.
+1

Very good!
Surprisingly this is an amazing course. This is a great place to begin with. Lots of resources throughout. :)
Yeah, it's been pretty good (finishes this week). It didn't go into great depth, but it's a good intro, quite inspiring and there are lots of useful links & jumping off points supplied. The 'comunity' involved with the course (48000 students!) has been pretty interesting too (apart from the obesssing over the tests), Steve Everett is an engaging speaker (you've just got to ignore the throat clearing...).
I was checking the coursera offerings and it looks like it will be offered again this year, but I've already forgotten the dates.

The links, book titles and other things mentioned, but not covered have been the most valuable to me. A couple of the books mentioned are in my wishlist to pick up at a later date, but hearing who the authors were in the context of the course helped pull things together. I'm definitely more interested in reading Microsounds now.

I really wasn't expecting too much out of a four week course, so I think that's why I've been so impressed so far. I mostly took the course to see what it would be like if I went back to school... I think I have too much going on now to do that, so coursera works great for now.

As for the community, the number of threads created is just crazy. I'll stick to KVR for now.

ferez21 wrote:
roland_rock wrote:(you've just got to ignore the throat clearing...).
:hihi:
He is obssesive about his throat staying clean.
that actually didn't bother me, even when watching at 2x the speed. To be honest, he could pick his nose, fart and clear his throat all at the same time, and I don't think I'd care so long as he had something to teach... but even that would be impressive too.

So I just finished Rob Papen's course on subtractive synthethis, and I think it was a pretty good course. The first two DVD's REALLY covered the basic stuff, which is great if you need a good foundation. But the second two really got into sound design and modulation. I think I really picked up some stuff on pitch and pulse width modulation, and using hard synch. Plus a lot of great stuff on envelopes, and LFO's.

In the course he used a variety of synths, but his main focus was on predator. So I picked that up, and I really liked it. Also picked up Punch, which I think could become my goto for drums. Now that I know how to make my own kick sounds, I think that will prove super helpful, say in getting things just right.

Anyway, depending on your skill level, I recommend the course, and definitely check out the synths. Thanks,

Kroneborge wrote: In the course he used a variety of synths, but his main focus was on predator. So I picked that up
Marketing at its best :lol:
It sounds like a really good course though. Is it available as a download too?

No, it's a hardbound book, and 4 DVD's

there are online academys u can check there...
i saw few of them and it's looks very nice:

check this site:
http://www.sonicacademy.com/

hope u can use it :)
- Keep It Psychedelic Or Die -

Return to “Sound Design”