alva noto kind of sound...

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, i was wondering how to make or get the kind of sounds alva noto is using as drums/percussion. anyone have an idea ?

I am absolutely NOT shure of what I am saying, but you may want to try tutorials of databending. I gives you arsh sounds in the same area, to me at least.

thx for the tip :) well it seem it can cover a part of the equation. still alva noto sounds are very clean actually, but ill check what i can get with the data bending :)

lot's of sample editing. chopped attacks and fast attacks.. very grid like sequencing. a good bit of stuff from the SKAM label has a simliar sound.. especially around the late 90s.

very digital but there are some softer analog type sounds as well. distortion, wave shaping glitch like processing.. but it sounds like it's all taken apart and then edited together painstakingly

Hi, i read that he uses sine waves most of the time from sound testing equipment.
I am resurrecting this thread because i think it is interesting and i decided to try and make a short 3 sec drum loop using only recorded sine wave.
here is the raw sound
sine.7z
Screenshot (1190).png
here is the processed loop
sinedrum2.zip
for kick i had to lower the pitch and make a tail with stronger initial attack, saturation was added
for that weird sound that is supposed to have the snare role i used the same kick cut but higher pitch and eq shaping the sound
for that metallic sound that is re triggered to be glitchy i had to make short cut from the sine and bring the pitch way up, after that i used ring modulator
the top of it was spectral EQ to give it that weird sound
it is very easy to make actually, you just have to experiment with effects, the pitch shifting is the most important part though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Oh lovely, thank you for that!

Return to “Sound Design”