Help with making a reverse hi hat

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I wanted to add a little groove to my beats by adding a reverse hi hat. I don't know how to make one, I've made several attempts to make one by adding reverb and reversing it but had no luck. Do producers like alesso and etc use samples from vengeance and etc or do they make their own? I've VEH2, VEH3,VEC1,Thomas Penton and Loopmasters progressive house and future tech but none of them have reverse cymbals. Please help.

Thank you :)

Maybe you could post a sample how it should sound?
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Doesn't have your DAW a "reverse" feature? In REAPER I simply select the sample and choose "Reverse" from the mouse-menu...
Exactly.
The answer is in the question.

Why complicate it?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Doesn't have your DAW a "reverse" feature? In REAPER I simply select the sample and choose "Reverse" from the mouse-menu...
Exactly.

Why complicate it?
I've edited my post. He wrote he did reverse it but had "no luck" - whatever this means, "no luck". I guess it doesn't sound like he wants it to sound... :?:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Exactly.

Why complicate it?
I've edited my post. He wrote he did reverse it but had "no luck" - whatever this means, "no luck". I guess it doesn't sound like he wants it to sound... :?:
Yeah saw that
Still think it the right approach though.

One doesn't try and reverse a truck by jumping into a car.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Exactly.

Why complicate it?
I've reversed it and tried it, but no luck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq3PhCsRvY You can see it from 1:50 onwards in this video.

thomasjorgan wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Exactly.

Why complicate it?
I've reversed it and tried it, but no luck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq3PhCsRvY You can see it from 1:50 onwards in this video.
"Cannot be watched in Germany because of GEMA copyright" -- I love this Youtube... :x

Anyway, are you sure that it's a HI-HAT? Could also be a different (reversed) percussion element...

Honestly, I'm not really sure if it's a hi hat. Can you help me with something else then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374sYMQugSI There a reverse clap in here. Can you teach me how to make this one?

Its very simple, you reverse the sample.

thomasjorgan wrote:I've reversed it and tried it, but no luck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq3PhCsRvY You can see it from 1:50 onwards in this video.
There's a reversed cymbal at 1:00 but after 1:50 it's just a white noise buildup. Which one are you after?

The former is cymbal hit + reverb -> recorded -> reversed, as you said. There's not that much that can go wrong with this, although you might need to EQ the reverb tail and make sure you've aligned the reversed sample to fit the beat.

The other one is filtered white noise as an oscillator with a very slow attack or simply a block of filtered white noise with a long fade in.

thomasjorgan wrote:Honestly, I'm not really sure if it's a hi hat. Can you help me with something else then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374sYMQugSI There a reverse clap in here. Can you teach me how to make this one?
Again, sample reverb tail, crop, reverse, bring back into sampler or drop on the time line immediately ahead of the clap. If you use a sampler, you've got some options to play with the attack to make sure it seems to play in time and also gives the right amount of 'suck' into the clap.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks a lot! :)

It's a good tip to disable the quantize function in your DAW. Move the reversed sample a few miliseconds back and forth across the grid, to find the hot spot where it blends with the normal clap.

Also, I like the sample to be long enough so the tail of the kick coincides with the start of the reversed sample.

In Ableton Live I can do it like this. I take any Hi hat I want to use and transfer it to audio format.

That's the sample. And the track should still say audio. You need to route the midi sample into the audio track first in order to do that. Do so with input on the audio track.

Then once you situate and effect the sample in the audio lane, you can highlight the hi hat by cropping it. (Split)

After you crop it you have to select reverse or transpose sample or something like that.

TIP: many times its just as easy or easier to do your own samples from basic real drum and EQ them to sound electronic. You can also add compression and such or any other effect. ABleton Live is an awesome DAW/Sampler.

I may suggest reversing the h hat and doing the effects later to taste. You may save the reverse hi hat to midi by dragging and dropping into a drum rack or simpler lane/spot. Save it after you drop it there. Then you may effect it later too.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Is it just me or is this section of the forum getting to a level of retardation which isn't even humorous anymore

Reversed hi-hats,honestly you need aid in achieving a reversed hi-hat sound.welcome to the dawn of the tutorial age where anyone who can operate a torrent app or subscribe to sonic academy can call themselves a producer

TIMT
I

Return to “Sound Design”