Skrillex / Datsik Style Bass Resampling

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have seen a lot of discussion, including from Skrillex himself, alluding to bass resampling as an integral part of making dubstep. Now, I understand in the simplest of ways, that it makes more sense to resample a wobble at 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 1/16 notes, etc than creating several instances of FM8 or Massive of a wobble at those different rhythms, thats not what I mean.

Im interested in the idea of resampling several times (and running through an effects chain) to eventually get something completely different than what you started with. I tried resampling some sine waves and have had some limited success, but I was wondering if anyone had any tutorials or any tips on different techniques of repeated resampling to create new sounds. Ive sat on my computer trying out different ideas for hours but there are literally so many possibilities it can get a little frustrating.

Does anyone have any tips, or even any tutorials on techniques in repeated resampling of basses to create completely new sounds?

A very good starting point for "rinse and repeat" type sampling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynZGAM1mg0

Also, fair priced samples, top bloke, etc.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Those growl things aren´t resampled and datsik is pretty much heavily effected simple massive patches.

TIMT
I

^Yep.
Afaik, the real deal 'Reese Bass' is the only thing that has an actual technical reason for the resampling. Everything else can be done in real time, if you have a hefty cpu... I think.

I have heard Datsik talk about it, but he was emphasizing it mostly as a way to commit to a sound from what I recall. i.e. Bouncing. Once its bounced, theres no going backwards, only forwards.
I think that is not a horrible idea, but its less to do with the actual sound.

Also, a lot of people do it so they can chop up the bounce, and sequence with bits of audio. Imo, thats just lazy, but whatever works. Again though, its not really about the dsp.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:^Yep.
Afaik, the real deal 'Reese Bass' is the only thing that has an actual technical reason for the resampling. Everything else can be done in real time, if you have a hefty cpu... I think.

I have heard Datsik talk about it, but he was emphasizing it mostly as a way to commit to a sound from what I recall. i.e. Bouncing. Once its bounced, theres no going backwards, only forwards.
I think that is not a horrible idea, but its less to do with the actual sound.

Also, a lot of people do it so they can chop up the bounce, and sequence with bits of audio. Imo, thats just lazy, but whatever works. Again though, its not really about the dsp.

There is situations where you may want to resample but generating clean formants isn´t one of them,resampling (as in the audio production mythology defenition) is an extremely destructive process and there is no way you can maintain the clarity after all those rinses and all that eq to try get those bounces to blend with one another.if you don´t place a grain of salt on what i´ve just said you can hear it from nikk himself on his twitter,considering noisia started the hype surrounding resampling doesn´t anyone find it odd that the "pioneers"(i´m aware calyx and teebee where probably one of the founders but noisia brought it to the mainstream) of bringing this technique into the mainstream no longer adopt it and instead go for heavily processed complexly automated fm8 patches?...food for thought

Just thought i´d add that in recent years i´ve seen tonnes and tonnes of people coming on here and asking things that they could of worked out if they actually put some serious effort into what they was after.i´m not targeting you specifically you are not as half as bad as most of these cretins that have decided to jump on the EDM bandwagon whilst it´s still in town and yet have zero understanding of music,sound design,mixdowns in general ap0art from tidbits they swallow like gospel they picked up off youtube,computer music and sonic academy

instead of targeting specific artists and sounds why don´t you study around that,your after vocally timbres right so wouldn´t make sense to see how speech was 1st synthesized and how things like the throat work in relation to formants,i assure that´s how people like feedme etc where able to expand upon there pallet and probably skrillex after his 1st noodlings with fm8

Then you can take that and interpret it into any synthesis,processing method to obtain the results within the boundaries of what you have learnt ofcourse

There´s way too many handouts on this place and does people no favours what so ever

(ranty rant rant)

TIMT
I

Uh, yeah thanks for not 'targeting' me..? :roll:
I was agreeing with you.
I know of what I speak.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Sound Design”