Axwell Kick Drum (SHM) VST?!

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

Every-one is saying that an Axwell kick is "Just an 808 kickdrum, a little bit Compression and Eq-ing etc. and that there is nothing special at his kicks". Well, I have to say, that is bullshit. The kick is the most important thing when it comes to producing quality music. So...My question is. How does Axwell creates his kicks?
I have asked Laidback Luke, and he says this: "Well, when I came there in the studio. The kick was already there, he just "sampled" it. I am talking about the famous LTWB kick. This is "i think" not the truth.

Axwell and Ingrosso are making there kicks with a vst, or instrument or whatever, and my question is. Wich vst?

Seriously. I am looking for 6 years now.........

Btw. Does anyone knows good tracks to sample a fat/deep/low kick from? For isntance the hard rock sofa dudes..!
Eat my shit.

It's called Vengeance Metrum, i know there also some ax preset in there. And Ax himself (on his forum) said that sometimes he layer live kick drum + sine/others kick and also he process his kick with hardware unit (compressio i think) to get the right phatness. Hopes it helps

Yes it is!!!!! Gonna buy it straight away. Thanks Jean!!!
Eat my shit.

so wrong.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:so wrong.
What is wrong?...
Eat my shit.

daan5678 wrote:
What is wrong?...
that you think buying a dedicated plugin will fix it for you.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

@marnau yeah you need to tweak it a lot and sometimes process it with hardware (also Showtek said that they processed Cannonball's Kickdrum with hardware)
serch on axwell forum :wink: you'll find answer from Axwell himself
plus I saw a video 1 or 2 years ago of Axwell working on Metrum
plus

a guy posted this on laidback Luke forum

Fredster
"my tip regarding kickdrums is to get metrum, its never been easier to make phat kicks..And you can easily get those type of axwell, shm kicks that are subby with just a short snappy click in the beginning..

I thought it was to much hustle doing it manually in logic, metrum lets you see the actual audio that you are tweaking and it sounds fantastic!"

http://www.laidbackluke.com/forum/viewt ... 6&p=178841

this thread for me it's now closed have a nice time

murnau wrote:
daan5678 wrote:
What is wrong?...
that you think buying a dedicated plugin will fix it for you.
Who is saying it will "fix" it for me? That is bullshit.
By the way, I ain't gonna buy the vst.

Do you have other tips then...?
Eat my shit.

Vengeance Samples 4 the win lol.There are so many samples and a proper EQing and compression will make sound them fat.I think that's all you need.

@bst148 nothing against you bro, but why compress or eq kicks wich are already too compress and eq? Try to build a track with a Vengeance kick and then at the and change it with a professional kick like steve angello axwell avicii... you'll hear the big difference. It's huge more power more clarity and more headroom. Search on the net the famous Leave The World Behind Kickdrum, also Afrojack use it in Louder than words, check out

bst148 wrote:Vengeance Samples 4 the win lol.There are so many samples and a proper EQing and compression will make sound them fat.I think that's all you need.
Hey. Thanks for replying.

But; this is what many people (producers) think. In my opinion this is absolutly not the truth.
I want to make my whole track sound professional. When u sample a regular vengeance kick, it sounds very weak in my opinion. Offcourse. I can point on 1 hand good kickdrum samples from vengeance.. But overal they are not as good as i want to.

Everyone is saying; ooooh those Swedish house (Mafia) producers are just ripping vengance kick and eq/compress them to the max. This is sooooo not truth. They create a kick that is already standalone a masterpiece to listen to. And after they have a tremendous kick, they create a track around it.

Sorry it is not that i am attacking you, i just wan't my frustration to let go. Because i have no-one to talk about production things.... :(
Eat my shit.

I dont think your problem lies in the kick sample. Check out your mixing and mastering - that's where the magic happens ;)

Do you parallel compress? Eq? Layer? Sounds like you need some mixing tutorials man, not overused vengeance samples.

Have u both checked out my soundcloud profile......?
Eat my shit.

Daan, you are on the right track man. I know how hard it is to get the "perfect" bassdrum and my advice to you would be as follows, don't be intimidated by the amount of information you see here, read it all and pay close attention because I've been supported by Chuckie, and various other artists on spinnin' records, so my tips aren't "bullshit" ^^

1. We start from the bottom now we're here. Start making a kick by simply taking an 808 and finding a good note to have it on where it sounds really phat. Once you find a good note, then adjust the volume envelopes to make adjust the length of the 808 tail to how you want it. This will be the sub/low end of your bassdrum. If you can't find a good 808 from a synth or something, then you can use vengeance samples to find a kick with a low end you like and filter out the high end and leave only the sub of it that you like.

2. Thump... This is a super important element of the bass drum. Thump is usually from your low mids and I usually use an acoustic bassdrum from native instruments kontakt or something from vengeance that I like. EQ the subs out of this sound and stack it with the 808 until you're satisfied. Again, volume envelopes are going to be necessary to make sure this sound is short and doesn't have a long tail that interferes with your clean subby 808.

The second (and most important) way of achieving thump is by adding a little bit of white noise right before your kick that envelopes from no volume to normal volume. Normal volume would be wherever you think is perfect in the mix with the kick, but I tend to have it be fairly subtle/quiet so that it only adds the "thump" effect without standing out too much. This technique is recommended by tom staar in his future music video on youtube. If you're interested, just search this on youtube: "tom staar in the studio"

3. Punch. You can just browse through vengeance for this or any sample pack you like. until you find a punch that you like, or even sample it from a track that you like. Again, you would want to follow the steps as you did for the thumpy kick in step two by shortening the tail and eq'ing out the low end stuff and mixing it in with the two layers you already have.

4. Click. This is usually used in the drop section and you might have heard it be mentioned by a lot of other producers. This can be achieved by taking a hat, eq'ing out the lows/mids out of it and putting it on top of your kick, again, shortening the tail of it and then side chaining it a bit to your kick drum to add more "click" to your kick, which will help it cut through the mix, especially if you have a lot of high end stuff going on.

5. Parallel Compression, or regular compression of the kick. It doesn't really matter whether you compress the original sound or parallel compress it. Whatever you think would yield a better result is the best thing to do, so, with that being said, experiment with both and see which kick you like better. Compression is important especially on the group of layers that you put in to make the kick because it helps glue the layers together and make it sound like one kick.

6. EQ the group. This is important because sometimes your kick can sound a bit boxy around the 300-500 Hz range and you can eq that out and other elements such as the muddy 200 Hz region. Again, it is important to eq the whole group at the end of the process because it helps the kick feel like "one" solid unit instead of being flimsy.

7. Enjoy your kick, but don't forget about your bass.... I personally know that Axwell makes sure his sub of the kick is on the same key as his bass. You can tell when you listen to his tracks. Therefore, if your song is in the key of F or G major, then make sure the sub of your kick is tuned to F or G major. This will allow for a tighter mix between your kick and will result in the kick and bass sounding like a single unit instead of sounding like they are fighting for their own space in the mix.

I hope these tips will help you get the sound you want. I rarely makes posts on this forum, but I thought I'd chime in since you weren't really getting a "straight" answer to your question. Just remember... you don't need any fancy plugins for making good kicks, you just need a good sample library, an EQ, a compressor (doesn't really matter if it's hardware, it could be software like waves or something), and volume envelopes. That's it! Cheers man :D

Return to “Sound Design”