Bass sound in Röyksopp & Robyn's "Do It Again"

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
this is my first post here.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the main bass sound in Röyksopp & Robyn's "Do It Again":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIG7PVa8SS8

Does anyone know how to re-create this sound in NI Massive or any other synth?

I'm also interested in the chord sound in the verse as well as the bass glides just before the chorus.

I know I should be focusing on being original and creating my own sound, but I'm currently doing music for a TV commercial, and the client wants it to sound similar to the Röyksopp song.

I really appreciate any advice! Thanks very much in advance!

Could be a MS-20 since they love them. I think they own like 3 or 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADp6vtyindY
:borg:

I stopped the video and checked out some of the keyboards featured.

at 0:32 i see an akai MPD32

at 0:53 I see the drummer is using a Nord drum of some kind.

at 1:39 i think the Roksopp guys are using the MS-20 and korg vocoder which you hear being used.

at 2:18 i see a black electron thing, so it must be the Analog four or the octatrack, but i think it's probably the latter. I don't think it's their newer drum machine because there drummer is using a nord drum thing.

at 3:00 in the keyboard players area i see a korg logo sitting on the top in the same area as the elektron thing. Judging by the size it could be a MS-2000 or a Mono/poly

at 3:20 the guy is playing on two Novation midi keyboards and in the rack is a Nord of some kind.

at 3:47 you get a better view of what's going on in that. I see now that the black thing is the Elektron Analog Keys. The korg logo was a good guess, and I see now that it is a Mono/poly.

at 4:26 i see an Akai MPD32

Anyhow hopefully that helps you figure out which was the instrument. It could be any of the ones i listed or it could be a softsynth, but I'm not really sure. Also apparently Royksopp are pretty tight lipped about what they use too..

Btw it's a catchy tune and i'm liking the 80s style in it.

Thank you very much for such a thorough and detailed answer, V0RT3X!

Then I guess I'll have to buy the Korg Legacy Collection.

Audio Finn wrote:Thank you very much for such a thorough and detailed answer, V0RT3X!

Then I guess I'll have to buy the Korg Legacy Collection.
Hey no problem! You also exposed me to an inspiring musical act in the process! I think I want to learn how to make music like them now!

Well with korg your in luck since they have a 30% off sale right now on them :)

Return to “Sound Design”