EDX Pluck Sound, HELP!

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,
I'm gouging my eyes out trying to recreate EDX's pluck in his song Make Me Feel Good.

Here's the song, listen at 3:17-3:48. I want that clean clean clean sounding pluck, not the detuned addition in the drop.
https://soundcloud.com/edxmusic/edx_makemefeelgood

PLEASE Let me know if you can help! I'd love you forever.

Also, I hear a very similar sounding pluck in Carpe Diem by Fran Garcia & Andrew Dee - Carpe Diem. Unfortunately I cannot find the original mix anywhere but the sound is in Tiesto's Club Life 378 at 29:05 for about 30 seconds (the fast 16th note pluck).
https://soundcloud.com/tiesto/tiestos-c ... first-hour

Thank you in advance!!

I'm equally curious to find out how he made his plucks in his weapon remix: https://soundcloud.com/edxmusic/cazzett ... s-acapulco

I've only been able to achieve such a powerful sound using far more layers than should ever be used for a pluck.

A very versatile sound, it is. Do you have the Harmless VST by chance? I re-created that sound on Harmless once.

Simple saw wave. Six to nine voices is my preference, anywhere around 60% unison and pitch variation, gentle sloping attack and decay slope for a low pass filter set to your preferential frequency.

Low/No attack, high decay, low sustain, and release can be anything you like. I usually keep release quite long to give my chords a glide.

What's important is that you have a very smooth bass pluck to go along with the mid-range chords. It's what gives EDX's plucks that summer-feel. As for the pluck that EDX used in his "Make Me Feel Good" track from 3:17 - 3:48, he puts white noise with the pluck, making it seem a bit more coarse.

The pluck isn't as special as people make it out to be, but it works well in a lot of situations.

FjaerskyMusic wrote:Simple saw wave. Six to nine voices is my preference, anywhere around 60% unison and pitch variation, gentle sloping attack and decay slope for a low pass filter set to your preferential frequency.

Low/No attack, high decay, low sustain, and release can be anything you like. I usually keep release quite long to give my chords a glide.

What's important is that you have a very smooth bass pluck to go along with the mid-range chords. It's what gives EDX's plucks that summer-feel. As for the pluck that EDX used in his "Make Me Feel Good" track from 3:17 - 3:48, he puts white noise with the pluck, making it seem a bit more coarse.

The pluck isn't as special as people make it out to be, but it works well in a lot of situations.
I'll try this to see what I come up with. I'll take a look with harmless too.. I have been trying in Sylenth.
As for bass plucks.. perhaps this is part of why I struggle. What type of pluck would you suggest to emulate 3:17-3:48? Something smooth, with a little slower attack, very subby?

Sorry for the late reply, and you've probably figured it out already, but I tend to use Sytrus' Sub Bass preset, shape it into a pluck as you mentioned, maybe cut off unnecessary "rumble" and toss that on the playlist.

Return to “Sound Design”