Any sounddesigners that work for Zero-G?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any sounddesigners at KVR that creates looppacks for Zero-G?

I've been offered to work as a sounddesigner and create looppacks for them, but I feel a little skeptical on some points.

Basically, I'll recieve 25 % royalty each time the item that I've developed is sold (very little indeed, compared to other places).
Also, I'll only recieve the royalty payment twice a year (?!).

But as I've understood it, isn't Zero-G one of the bigger companies in the sounddesign industry since it has been around for about 20 years and make quite exclusive looppacks.
Then, shouldn't it be quite prestige to work for them?
And does their packs get more sells than other companies that you work for?

Because of this, I'm confused if I should accept or decline and move on.

What is your opinion about working for Zero-G? Is it profitable for you? Or do you wonder why you signed the contract with them in the first place?
Do you know if it's possible to convince them so I may recieve the royalty payment each month instead?

Thanks.

I don't work for them, but that sounds like daylight robbery to me. I don't do any pack deals like that for less than 50/50. Total rip-off top offer you 25% imo. As for the payment cycle, don't think there's anything dodgy about that. Different companies have different compile cycles. It makes for slightly less admin essentially, only paying twice a year.
Eternitysound VST Banks

The lowest I've ever gone is 40 % royalty, but that was for Loopmasters.
But itsn't it hard to make a living out of it with only payments twice a year? Until now I've only encountered companies with monthly royalty payment (and some who even use realtime royalty payment).
What companies do you work for?

Also, anyone with further inputs?

steffeeH wrote:Are there any sounddesigners at KVR that creates looppacks for Zero-G?

I've been offered to work as a sounddesigner and create looppacks for them, but I feel a little skeptical on some points.

Basically, I'll recieve 25 % royalty each time the item that I've developed is sold (very little indeed, compared to other places).
Also, I'll only recieve the royalty payment twice a year (?!).
Why don't you just sell through your own site? Cut out the Sharks, just establish yourself and start selling. There's tons of these companies wanting to hack off 25-50% for doing NADA..
ZERO G are not what they used to be. They're leeches just like Loopmasters and all the rest so just sell through your own site and BINGO you get 100% and you get that daily NOT twice a year ;-)

Don't do it, 25% is a bad joke, 40% seems pretty much standard these days though (e.g. @Audiosparx where I sold a lot of SoundPacks over the recent years apart from my own website). 4 payments a year seems to be common, getting your shares only twice a year sucks. Many sites also have a certain limit you have to exceed before you get anything (e.g. 50 bucks a quarter).

I actually managed to increase the royalty to 40 %, which is acceptable to me.
Though I'm still unsure about recieveing royalty payment only twice a year.

If your stuff is good, then maybe do the web design and build your own site ? Doing graphics design for stuff is pretty easy with so many great free tools out there now and marketing is pretty easy if you sign up to most of the major computer music forums. I'd honestly rather get 100% for my libraries if i ended up putting a huge amount of time into them.

If your afraid of piracy it might be worth looking into sample watermarking. I'm not sure about how it works but this might be a good place to start ?

http://www.bluespike.com/technology/

I think the upside to using this, is that if someone famous uses your library illegally and makes a hit song that makes them a lot of money then you can go after them in court with evidence they are using a warez version.
:borg:

You think that's bad, you should try Time & Space.

Even affiliate sites that take 50% of your earnings are robbing you.

40% is the standard, you definitely shouldn't accept less than that (I also work for a big sample company though not Zero-G). Doing it on your own is an option but there's lot more extra work involved, and maybe you won't sell as much as if you sold the same pack through well reputed company and then actually earn less though you'd pocket all the money (at least in the beginning).
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:40% is the standard, you definitely shouldn't accept less than that (I also work for a big sample company though not Zero-G). Doing it on your own is an option but there's lot more extra work involved, and maybe you won't sell as much as if you sold the same pack through well reputed company and then actually earn less though you'd pocket all the money (at least in the beginning).
Care to share the company name? :)

Return to “Sound Design”