Wavetable sequence on Imogen Heap's Headlock: what synth?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's pretty well known that Imogen Heap mostly uses software, so I figure this might be the place to post his. Here's the song I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdIxKQ-qWQ

The sound is that chimey wavetable sequence that runs through most of the tune. Any ideas of what she might have used?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I don't know for sure which synth that is, but I've read a few times over the years that does most of her work in Pro Tools and that she use NI instruments a lot, particularly Massive.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I don't know for sure which synth that is, but I've read a few times over the years that does most of her work in Pro Tools and that she use NI instruments a lot, particularly Massive.
Yeah, I saw that too. Doesn't sound particularly "Massive" though. I was thinking it might be Wavestation Legacy?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Speaking of Imogen Heap, are you watching this live stream?

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/2 ... heap-live/

It's just getting started. Tim Exile is joining her for this show.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I always thought it was a simple chime patch (sample or FM perhaps?) granulated.

It sounds kind of Guy Sigsworthish, but I'm not sure if he worked with her on that album. Sigsworth has had a tendency to use a lot of manipulated acoustic sounds. It's possible some of his style or musical tendencies carried over to Heap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDX_0luEnNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQeOpTWPBfQ

aMUSEd wrote:I always thought it was a simple chime patch (sample or FM perhaps?) granulated.
I agree. It sounds more FM than wavetable to me.

Yes, or just a sample of something chimey, I think the main thing is it sounds like its been processed by a granular pitchshifter/reverse delay - you can get that sort of effect from something like Crystalliser (or even Reaktor - I just made a similar sound using Buffeater's Granular stretch module and a Pianoteq Vibes patch).

aMUSEd wrote:Yes, or just a sample of something chimey, I think the main thing is it sounds like its been processed by a granular pitchshifter/reverse delay - you can get that sort of effect from something like Crystalliser (or even Reaktor - I just made a similar sound using Buffeater's Granular stretch module and a Pianoteq Vibes patch).
Buffeater's Granular looks cool. Might have to get that one.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the overlap of granular and wavetable. (graintable) I know Reason's Malstrom does is and I have a Virus Snow on it's way to do it... what else does it? I guess Padshop Pro kind of does it...
Zerocrossing Media

The only proper graintable synths I know are Malstrom, the Virus Ti and Symptohm Melohman.

Could it be that the chimey sound (pretty much any synth) is sent to a reverb and the granulation effect applied to the reverb? I'd suggest The Finger, but I don't know if that plug-in is capable of anything that subtle.

aMUSEd wrote:The only proper graintable synths I know are Malstrom, the Virus Ti and Symptohm Melohman.
I don't know much about Symptohm, to be honest. I got the free PE version and... well I guess is didn't inspire me enough to buy the full one. Maybe I'm missing something? I should check out the demo. I wouldn't mind something like the Virus TI that let you import your own wav files.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:The only proper graintable synths I know are Malstrom, the Virus Ti and Symptohm Melohman.
I don't know much about Symptohm, to be honest. I got the free PE version and... well I guess is didn't inspire me enough to buy the full one. Maybe I'm missing something? I should check out the demo. I wouldn't mind something like the Virus TI that let you import your own wav files.
Nah it's not that great - I have the full Windows version but haven't been bothered to buy the Mac crossgrade - actually I should either do that or sell it, maybe I will give it one more chance.

Return to “Sound Design”