Duke Dumont - Won't Look Back Bass

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hallo chaps, trying to hit the bass sound at 0:45. Standard deep house plonkiness, but there's a certain hollowness to this one that I'm struggling to recreate. I've got close to it using Massive and the reverb in Maschine but it sounds more like Oliver Helden's Gecko... With a reverb. Just missing that "something".

I'm trying to make a rework of it, but because of the vocal loop I can't sample it cleanly. Does anyone know what Dumont actually uses in the studio? It sounds like either Sylenth or Massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_cwzAIOHs

Any help would be great appreciated :)

It would appear from further research that most of these deep house stabs are made using FM synthesis. That kind of explains the weird "Organicness" of the sound. I'm gonna have a slap around with FM8 and see if I can get closer.

EDIT: Hooo I'm so close! Been blindly stabbing around FM8 for a good hour now with what little I know about FM synthesis and have something pretty close. Could do with a hand from anyone who knows about FM synthesis and can work with FM8. I'll upload a sound sample soon.

Maybe this video will help you, its an FM8 tutorial to make Prodigy - Full Throttle bass which is pretty much the same sound (except its being played in a lower pitch than the Duke Dumont tune)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPFtgZwmBQ

You beautiful person, I pretty much nailed it using that vid. Took a bit of tweaking, and the reverb inside FM8 is pants (although admittedly, the reverb I use in the final sound below, which is Maschine's Plate Reverb, is not much better) so I sacked that off.

So my Maschine sound chain here is FM8 -> Saturator -> Maximizer -> Plate Reverb. This is the best part of 35 minutes work, watching that vid you posted and working from there. So glad to finally understand how that sound is made, and glad I can finally tick that off my list of "Sounds I can do".

Now to make that hideous rework. For anyone who wants a listen, here is a wav on Zippy

If you want I can upload the FM8 patch and the Maschine Sound if you'd like.

Woah, double post, no idea who that happened, only pressed submit once :S

Hey id love to take a look at your patch, im pretty close with that vid as well. I also have a good wealth of similar FM sounds if youd like to trade :) :hihi: :tu:

Actually its sounds the most as the Logic FM onboard synth with the default preset !

lacandon wrote:Actually its sounds the most as the Logic FM onboard synth with the default preset !
Yeah, that is a classic FM House Bass sound, and would do the job on most occasions.

It's one of those sounds that if you make it on 10 different synths, as long as you get it in the ball park they'll all sound the same - the Supersaw is another example of this.
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

What are the keys you used to make the bass line?
I think its A flat minor? but I'm struggling to get the right sequence

thanks in advance

WOOOW! That sounds awesome!!! Is it possible to get this Preset? I'm going crazy by trying to recreat that sound... would be awesome :)

Dance_Boss wrote:WOOOW! That sounds awesome!!! Is it possible to get this Preset? I'm going crazy by trying to recreat that sound... would be awesome :)
You get really far with that Full Throtthle tutorial posted a few posts up. Adjust the envelopes, add some saturation, EQ and reverb and you are there.

Hi GUys,

Ive been tring this for an hour now, and i cant get it, not really even close, i really dont get why its not coming close, ive started from scratch each time,.. Quite confused and at a loss as to why? ANy suggestions? :o
ANy other plug ins i can try? any other tutorials?

Im really annoyed now and ready to give up on it.... :x :x :x :x

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Sound Design”