Faithless - God is a DJ lead sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have wondered for a long time how to create the nice lead sound from Faithless - God is a DJ. I'm not very good at recreating a sound with a synth. What are the parameters used to create this sound?

That's mostly about the reverb. A sine wave with some pitch modulation and maybe another layered sound for the attack would probably do it.

FWIW, Insomnia was little more than the Roland Pizzagogo preset with a ton of delay and reverb on it. Rob Lee has made presets based on Faithless sounds, you could ask him if he did God is a DJ and how he did it.

btw, for anyone who wants to throw in suggestions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BUCVBHSKw

The lead sound is made with the Roland JP-8000... :shrug:

No, it was a JD.

Kriminal wrote:No, it was a JD.
The pizzicato lead in "Insomnia" probably, but not in "God is a DJ"...

Well, whatever it was, I think anything with good envelopes and reverb should be able to cop it. DCAM's Fusor with Breverb loaded into its effects slot would nail that sound.

Like Uncle E said, its just a sine wave or maybe a triangle wave with an lfo slightly modulating the oscillator frequency to give it that wobbly sound. To me, the attack of the amplitude envelope actually sounds a little bit slow, so there isn't a really sharp, well-defined snap to the note onset. Then bury the whole thing in reverb.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

A Roland JV-2080. A slightly modified preset. There is also a varaiation of the preset on one of the floppy disc's that came with the XP80 / 60. In some video's Sister Bliss can be seen playing it on a JP8000 and also in later video's she is playing it on a Fantom, on the "Passing the batton" tour (2011) she is playing a JP8000 :shrug:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Kriminal wrote:No, it was a JD.
The pizzicato lead in "Insomnia" probably, but not in "God is a DJ"...
That was a JV1080

It's so obviously generic, lots of things could do it. I know that much. All of it is early-80s based.

Hello and sorry for posting in a old thread. Im about to remix this track and looking into redesingning the synth myself. I found a YouTube video of the JV1080
patches: https://youtu.be/Y3GxXjdrBPk?t=1m44s . Could it be that patch that she uses?

Return to “Sound Design”