How to create this FLUME synth?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys

Flume's back with another awesome remix, Lay Me Down by Sam Smith.
Could someone help me recreate the brassy-synth starting at 0:26?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7upwgqlJ0s

Thanks for your help!

Luca

Bump :)

Give your (lowpass) filter ADSR a very short attack and decay/release. Turn the 'filter ADSR follow' knob (is there a better term for this?) all the way up. Turn cutoff all the way down. Add a little resonance for a sharper tone. As for the waveform, I'm not sure. Try a square mixed with saw, I guess.

If it sounds too tame, try some distortion. What I often do is route the sound to another mixer channel, add distortion plugins, then highpass the result. Mixed with the original sound, this can give it some character.

Note that in the song, at least at 0:26, there's a static bass note playing under the stabs, which might be important for the feel of the sound.

Edit: Try also adding some swing to your midi notes, and nudging them forward a bit to get that 'lazy' feel.
Last edited by neoncortex on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think it's pretty basic sound :) what actually makes the sound, is heavy modulated filter
start with some saw waves, then set filter to lowpass, turn freq. down so it's silent/almost silent, then modulate the filter freq. with envelope - turn sustain down, play add a little bit of attack and play with decay...
Or maybe better way to modulate filter is using lfo - sinewave.... sorry I don't have an access to DAW, It's just some personal tips on how to get closer to the sound :)

later on, you can hear it's layered with square wave playing high notes (short sustain, medium decay)

Return to “Sound Design”