Hiring consultant for special tone/timbre creation

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Starting fresh here: I have an instrumental sound and behavior in my mind, and I will pay someone to make it. $25/hr.

Tasks will be

- upon project start, any correspondence with me about the project.

- time spent researching for the project.

- timbral creation and tuning.

- advice and guidance on a PC rig to meet the demands of the instrument. (I may be open to Mac.....).

My musical interface is guitar. My de facto trigger device is a Fishman Triple Play, which you will need to know or learn. As well, I'm open to looking into things like MiGic and Midi Guitar. Dedicated hex will be a last resort. This means it will be a real-time performance instrument in the conventional fasion: no arpeggios this or that, or triggering sampled passages, or any of that. Just real playing.

I have no expectations of time frame, though would like to keep initial design and prototype release inside three months. PM for more info.

On my end, any forum discussion can happen after completion of the inital release, or final release. You're welcome to discuss aspects of the project with others during.

It's a new month. Bump.

Haven't you had a similar thread like a year ago or so?
I am not so sure I understand what you actually want. And judging from the feedback I am probably not the only one :)

I doubt anyone here can read your mind to listen to your sound, so it would make sense to pick a song where a similar sound is used, recreate it on a suitable synth, and then fine-tune it to your liking.

The old thread got derailed. What I want is possible. I just need a willing participant.

Why don't you - like all the others on this forum - simply describe what sound you want and post a song with a similar sound in it? There is no need for hiring anyone...

I want to be a millionaire. I will pay you $100 when the project is completed. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

At $25/h this is actually quite a high rate. Very high for the niche market of audio software. Anyone hoping to pay so much for three months of effort plus consulting must have a lot of cash to burn.

Consider the fact that typical investment in software amounts to near 60h/w, can be more and for a very simple project with many external dependencies (waiting on others, not the programmer) may be less. Assuming 60h/w and three months this comes to approximately $25,000.

Now the list of problems:
  1. I can't tell from the description what is wanted. Is this a software project? Is an audio engineer needed to work with existing instruments? What is the goal?
  2. What license terms or additional agreements would be in play? For example assuming the job is a software project, $25000 for such a project would near pay for the effort to hand over rights to the code assuming the project were very, very simple. In other cases a royalty would be required and associated licensing.
  3. More on the rights/licenses side; would the result of this project be expected to be sub-licensed, reused or so on?
Assuming what you want is a rudimentary synthesizer plug-in I think you have both time-frame and funds in approximately the right area, although depending upon your expectations you may likely find that three months is not nearly enough time to develop a product unless it is based upon another existing product. In such a case you might be better off to ask the developer of an existing product which approximates your needs whether they would be willing to extend or modify that product and which terms/license might work.

If nothing exists anywhere near your idea what you are asking for is then original R&D. If so you should be willing to pay full rate without any expectation of getting any satisfying results back. If you aren't willing to make that investment and accept the risk, you'll just have to either do it yourself or give up.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Aloysius wrote:I want to be a millionaire. I will pay you $100 when the project is completed. :tu:
A million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Our project alone makes over 9 billion dollars a year!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

I'll take it!!! :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

This thread is going the route of last time....which is why I wanted discussion via PM......but I'll run with it.....

@fls: I did that. I even gave my own playing examples, that I did in real-time. No sequencing, etc. I think because those here are typically not Art Music musicians, they actually may not even play an instrument per se, they didn't really understand. There were a couple folks who seemed like they might; one of them created something, but he didn't give it to me....

@aciddose: I think it's pretty obvious what I want: an instrumental sound to play in real-time.

Like any standard player - vocalist, cellist, pianist, oboeist, etc. I want a timbre I haven't heard, but that is capable of similar tone quality and articulation.

The first thing is to figure out what components to use. I think first consideration is existing products: synth, sample, combination.

Rate/time period: I'm thinking of this is as a part-time gig. Something done in spare time, a side project, etc: an hour or two a day, not necesssarily every day. If someone were working on it full-time, I'd expect a week turn-around at most. But also, I expect there to be a bit of back and forth between the consultant and myself, and I won't be available all day every day.

Any ownership or whatever won't be by me. I just want the sound.

Which synths/samplers do you have?

Just describe what it is supposed to sound like. For instance, what do you mean by special?
More of a lead or a chord sound? More of a pluck or sustained sound? To be played in which octave range? Things like that...

See, that's what I'm taking about. You think in terms of components of a sound being a timbre. Any natural instrument, particularly those I mentioned above and the classes of instruments they belong to, can do all those things by means of articulation, and are naturally monophonic and polyphonic. Like so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUeRfwUU_oE#t=52

I can imagine that approach to assembling a set of things that equal one sound - but I haven't been able to do it. It sounds like those separate things sounding at the sound time, or in close proximity.
Last edited by neshel on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

@cron: Admittedly, the sports shirt almost turned me off from watching it. Seems interesting technically, but not musically. Also, he's usin cheap equipment or somethin, cos all his stuff sounds terribly 90s looped. All those pops just bug me out. Ilkhh.

I want something quite conventional performance-wise. It's just that people are incredulous, as they have been all my life. AS THE WORLD TURNS.

I grew up listening to pop music on the radio, rarely seeing any one play music. And perhaps because of that, I don't to this day imagine instruments playing what I hear. I just hear sound (that are objects in themselves...). And yet I understand timbre aurally and mechanically.

Popcul is not an authority. And round we go again.....

Return to “Sound Design”