Piracy & Presets

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone here claimed the same thing, that he never ever had something pirated. Ok, maybe, but i would think that's rather the big exception. Even my mom has some copied stuff, and she would never download something illegally... simply because someone gave it to her as a present, and she didn't think about it. Mind you, i don't want to defend pirating, but, i would be really surprised if everyone who bashes on famous artists using warezed Sylenth1 was perfectly "clean" in that regard. You don't have to be, but at the very least, it comes off as a bit of a hypocrisy then.

chk071 wrote:Someone here claimed the same thing, that he never ever had something pirated. Ok, maybe, but i would think that's rather the big exception. Even my mom has some copied stuff, and she would never download something illegally... simply because someone gave it to her as a present, and she didn't think about it. Mind you, i don't want to defend pirating, but, i would be really surprised if everyone who bashes on famous artists using warezed Sylenth1 was perfectly "clean" in that regard. You don't have to be, but at the very least, it comes off as a bit of a hypocrisy then.
I agree. I just wanted to talk about that one time I got stopped dead in my tracks :ud:

chk071 wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:If they would agree that they are not using a legit copy, other poeple (like you and me, and most other people) would think: "If these people don't pay for their software, why should we?".
Actually, no, i wouldn't think that. And that's the main point really. The customer decides whether this thing is some kind of role model for him or not. I know there's a lot of kids out there who buy, or warez Sylenth1, just because the big names use it, but it doesn't have to be that way. And, i think these producer videos also show the shitloads of legit stuff these guys have in their studios. I have never heard someone say "Hey, look, it's a role model for buying your software!", instead everyone's making a big deal, or even play videos back and fourth, to see if they can spot an illegal copy. I find that pretty weird. And as Lennardigital, i wouldn't make a big deal out of it either. What should they do, turn their back to the industry which provides them a living? 99% which make a living of what they do will still pay for their software.

Anyway, controversial topic, and i do get the point of the drama, when there's a million dollars worth artist spotted with an illegal copy, and it's also a bit weird that Future Music not only show that once, but several times, but, if then, FM are to blame themselves, and the first thing i would suspect is that they want the attention, which stuff like this produces.
It could be that you are correct. Often you judge other people by yourself or other people you know. However, in case they really had legal licenses at that time, it was really clumsy by both them and FM.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Yep. And it surprises me that they never took down the videos either, it seems. I guess you have to suspect the one or the other thing then indeed.

I've been informed that my synth presets are on warez sites on a number of occasions.

I assume that anything and everything that can be pirated will be. It's leeching basically. People assume that enough people will buy legitimately to keep the developer going and therefore aren't worried that they're damaging our living. Someone else will pick up the bill. Some people like to take everything and give nothing, I guess.

People that have nothing to give, give out other people`s work for free on warez sites.
And they (+ the downloaders) probably feel good about it.
They do not see the destruction they cause.

The internet seems to be in a distorted egoloop here and starts to smell funny.
Hopefully the next generation will change some of this strange everything-digital-belongs-to-everybody-for-free bullshit.
This mindset destroyed already a lot of the musicmarket.

zenophilix wrote: Crazy. I wouldn't have thought there would be that many wared presets available. :o
why?

they are an easy target. no cracking or key files or anything involved. just copy some files...done. then the main pirate who first made them available gets their name out and makes a bit of $$ off the downloads (until it hits the torrent sites)...which are the primary objectives.
ImageImageImage

Just had another rush of plays of the demo for my Spire soundset. It went from the usual 20 plays per day to 556 in a matter of hours... today it's about half of that, but still way more than usual. And not a single sale. Bummer.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Selfishness is the new religion, else lack of conscience and short sight do the rest.

You can pirate soundsets, not sausages or Nike shoes. As a consequence, everything that CAN be pirated will be, just because it's possible, and most people will concentrate on buying Nike shoes, because you can't DL them. :shrug:

This era is all about *image* and *looking like* something you'll never be, if it was about ethics, this would be known.

Solutions ? Maybe .... It's all about education -imho- . If you dont make (your) children aware about all this chain of acts and consequences, and include ethics somewhere in the loop, then, nobody will.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:
You can pirate soundsets, not sausages or Nike shoes. As a consequence, everything that CAN be pirated will be, just because it's possible, and most people will concentrate on buying Nike shoes, because you can't DL them. :shrug:
Nike shoes are pretty widely counterfeited though, a way to make a few quid same as selling dodgy software

What does using warez say about someone. Unsuccessful, selfish, a blagger, a mentality of thinking they are owed something for nothing, what is that all about. It's jokers basically. Cannot afford $100, $1,000.00 software. This stuff costs peanuts for what it does and what you can do. These people cannot be taken seriously. I don't want to be one of these people.

I actively want to distance myself from these people, the further the better. I buy all the software I use.

If you pirate someone presets you are a joker.

There, that is my summary of the issue. :P

Arksun wrote:From our perspective as a professional sound designer, you're paying for the time and effort that went into making them.
This +1000. Sound design is the result of trial, error, expertise, effort, and prior experience. If these sound designers weren't paid for this work they'd go do something else.

Try hiring a sound designer for the price per sound most commercial presets are sold at. Good luck finding anyone willing to take you up on that offer.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Like with mp3s piracy is a real problem here, since there is no proper way to protect the patches against distribution.

Lotuzia wrote:You can pirate soundsets, not sausages or Nike shoes.
This needs to be engraved on a plaque and mounted above the studio's door!

Return to “Sound Design”