Whats your most preferred feature for aftertouch?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Distortion and reverb. More reverb. Even more reverb.

And some reverb with reverb on it.

From the perspective a rank amateur in music production with some knowledge of software programming and marketing, user selectablility could be the best solution.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

A few things. For pads, whatever would have given the pad a soft attack can be assigned instead to open from aftertouch (usually volume or filter). This allows you to decide on the fly how slow the attack is, or rather how fast the sustain is reached. It's a much more satisfying way to play pads because the envelope isn't always the same. Also, if you set the attack time inversely to control the same parameter, like a filter, you can either have a strong attack by hitting it hard or as slow attack by pressing softly and then bring each key in and out at whatever speed you want. So to sum, what main control is bringing in the sustain of the sound (volume/filter cutoff).

Another natural thing is timbre or harshness or both, especially if there is a strong attack already. It's like the metaphor of any blown or bowed instrument. The harder you blow or bow, the more the sound gets bright/harsh/distorted. So anything that gives it extra grit or brightness tends to be expressive. But anything else noticeable can be cool. I like assigning aftertouch to the position in a granular synth so that pressing harder takes it into part of a sample that changes more drastically. Reverb can be cool, or vibrato as mentioned. Ring mod or fm or anything else that dirties up a sound. I don't a sound getting darker is usually very intuitive personally because more force almost always equates to more brightness/harshness.

EdSevered wrote:From the perspective a rank amateur in music production with some knowledge of software programming and marketing, user selectablility could be the best solution.
Thanks for the input.
If it's a setting that can easily be changed in the specific synth I think it's feasible. Otherwise normally poly aftertouch would be a setting you turn on/off on your master keyboard, no?
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Another natural thing is timbre or harshness or both, especially if there is a strong attack already. It's like the metaphor of any blown or bowed instrument. The harder you blow or bow, the more the sound gets bright/harsh/distorted. So anything that gives it extra grit or brightness tends to be expressive.
Thanks.
The metaphor you use I think is best suited for velocity, rather than aftertouch. High velocity = shorter attack and brighter timbre.
Reverb can be cool, or vibrato as mentioned. Ring mod or fm or anything else that dirties up a sound. I don't a sound getting darker is usually very intuitive personally because more force almost always equates to more brightness/harshness.
Thanks for the input.

One use I have is with Hammond Organ "clonewheels" to trigger fast rotary speed. I hate the fast rotor sound on organ, but love the speed up/down effect. AT is a very convenient way to kick it in and out.

Vibrato or filter cutoff (rising)

U can have in future bass chords have so when u play use faster rate of lfo to cutoff when when pressing aftertouch it slows down in rate and evens out with a tiny bit less modulation on cutoff! Then u get that faster lfo by default and then gets really future bass when slowing down. Its all about what feeling u wana express with aftertouch! Also if u use both hands on two handed chords its hard to use modwheel! U could use expression padle to replace modwheel or use aftertouch as modwheel ! Good luck

I always use expression pedal for MW

liv wrote:
EdSevered wrote:From the perspective a rank amateur in music production with some knowledge of software programming and marketing, user selectablility could be the best solution.
Thanks for the input.
If it's a setting that can easily be changed in the specific synth I think it's feasible. Otherwise normally poly aftertouch would be a setting you turn on/off on your master keyboard, no?
I'm sorry if I misunderstood, liv. I wasn't trolling your topic. Knowing that you are sound designer, I assumed that you were asking your original question in the context of doing a project in which you had control over the aftertouch assignment.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

Anything and everything. I especially like instruments that allow multi parameter macros to be controlled by aftertouch. (Mpowersynth and Massive come to mind) Now that I've got a Rise, it's even more important.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

EdSevered wrote:
liv wrote:
Thanks for the input.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood, liv. I wasn't trolling your topic. Knowing that you are sound designer, I assumed that you were asking your original question in the context of doing a project in which you had control over the aftertouch assignment.
No problem. I value every input and, yes I have control of the assignment when designing the preset, but I can't make it a user controllable setting, if thats what you ment (thats how I understood it at least), hence the argument of doing it from the master keyboard may be the preferred and/or only choice.

Jim Y wrote:One use I have is with Hammond Organ "clonewheels" to trigger fast rotary speed. I hate the fast rotor sound on organ, but love the speed up/down effect. AT is a very convenient way to kick it in and out.
I like this one. Could be cool on a organ sound.
A similar thing that could spinn off from this is panning. Depth/width and speed via aftertouch. Thanks for the input.

Coockie1176ln wrote:U can have in future bass chords have so when u play use faster rate of lfo to cutoff when when pressing aftertouch it slows down in rate and evens out with a tiny bit less modulation on cutoff! Then u get that faster lfo by default and then gets really future bass when slowing down.
Nice, thanks.

Return to “Sound Design”