VST - sync query

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

real newbie question

I have a number of VSTs, Omnisphere 2, Dune 2 and about to purchase Spire

I've Cubase 8 AI and am trying the trial of Reaper - and have a 61 key midi keyboard

I've assumed best method of "recording" a track is in midi (maybe thats where I'm going wrong) - so I can make subtle tweaks to the VSTs post laying down

question is - how do you keep everything in Sync ?

for instance some VSTs seem to have Arps and Rythms speed wise in bpm and others not

also I'm finding it VERY easy to find a subtle tweak say to Dune 2 or Omnisphere oscillators, and suddenly everything sounds slightly out of sync

is there any sort of sync between VSTs I'm missing please ?

thanks for any help

also - I'm into trance, whats easiest way to add a kick + hat to a tune I've created

I've been using Omnisphere 2 - Airwaves + arp - but its VERY VERY VERY CPU intensive

should I be looking down the route of a VST - loops or arps ? or a looped sample ?

thanks again -just looking for some pointers. I've watched countless youtube tutorials - but I'm still a bit confused

Buckster wrote:also - I'm into trance, whats easiest way to add a kick + hat to a tune I've created
If you have Dune 2 you can find Drumpatches as well. Use the internal Arp for the right Beat and make just a Miditrack to let it play.
The manuel of Dune 2 should also explain many things.

If i remember right the AI Version are very limited? 2 Miditracks or something, right? Not very useful for a massive trackusing genre like trance...

In most synths, arps/seqs (even lfo/mseg) can be set to internal or host sync. Setting to host sync will keep everything in sync/time.

Buckster wrote:real newbie question

I have a number of VSTs, Omnisphere 2, Dune 2 and about to purchase Spire

I've Cubase 8 AI and am trying the trial of Reaper - and have a 61 key midi keyboard
Just wondering, but... how come you have a $500 VSTi (Omnisphere), but didn't invest in a proper DAW yet? Would be the first thing i'd do, before even thinking about buying more VSTi's.

thanks for the replies - genuinely much appreciated

will delve further into the Dune 2 manual - and will look for host sync

ref the DAW - I've not come across the limitations of Cubase 8 AI as of yet - but maybe I will do soon - I'll likely buy Reaper if I do - I've been getting sound glitches (no matter the ASIO settings) in Dune 2 and Omnisphere - yet much much less frequent in Reaper - I'm running a Xeon quad core - nothing special but should be enough

also to note in UK Omnisphere 2 is not quite so expensive as in the US - it cost me £280 for the boxed version from a retailer

I think Cubase AI allows for 48 midi tracks or something - I've certainly not hit the limitation yet anyway

Just checked the Cubase AI specs, and 32 audio tracks, 48 midi tracks, and 16 instrument tracks definitely don't sound too bad. I was actually thinking of the LE version limitations, which are quite harsh compared. Nonetheless, i'd consider getting a less limited DAW, as Cubase AI won't allow sidechaining either for example. If you're into Trance, sidechaining will most likely be something you will use much. Of course, if you only want to duck a simple 4/4 beat, something like TAL-Filter, or Cableguys VolumeShaper will do too.

I can only recommend to keep an eye on the Sell & Buy forum on this site too, you can get a DAW used for a very good price, if you keep looking.

thanks I've got much to learn :)

I used to be very musical - was classically trained violin/clarinet - but have started to learn Piano but am a real synth/trance fan - I bought a MOXF (came with Cubase AI) ...... I started dabbling in VSTs .... when I realised how amazing they sound - I went from there - and am eager to learn :)

if I did it again though I'd not buy the MOXF - I'd have bought a dedicated 88 key digital piano/midi controller and a dedicated 61 midi controller with all the sliders etc I need. I'm about to buy a full digital piano, but if I did it again I'd not have spent so much on the 61 key

I'm no longer using the internal sounds on the MOXF - I'll prob end up selling it

Buckster wrote:thanks for the replies - genuinely much appreciated

will delve further into the Dune 2 manual - and will look for host sync
The big blue screen has the sync settings...

Buckster wrote:question is - how do you keep everything in Sync ?
for instance some VSTs seem to have Arps and Rythms speed wise in bpm and others not
You can adjust the timing of arps and rhythmic patches with the synth settings (usually quite obvious and onscreen in the arp area). The main problem I think you might be having is just that if you are off (timing-wise) at all, then each additional note in the arp will be off too. You might want to go back and make sure those are set to the proper beat, as in manually move them in the piano roll etc.

I googled and found this article ---- > http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... g-problems In case it's just your soundcard/ASIO settings.

Return to “Sound Design”