Bassline like helicopter's engine sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey sound design gurus! Can anyone help me please how to design the sound of a bassline which would have the same characteristics as the sound of helicopter's engine. I have attached the link below for a better understanding.
I am looking to create a punchy, with very short attack and no release bassline with that characteristics timbre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RtDgTm6rn4

The first thing you might want to do is adding a layer of noise with your bass (could just be the noise generator from the synths you're using). Then use a LPF and modulate it's cutoff frequency with an LFO. Also turn up the resonance on the LPF. I think an analog (or an analog modeling) LPF will work great for this. Use the LFO-rate to control the speed of the desired effect and use the filter cutoff + LFO amount to vary it's intensity

Here is an example of this technique: https://clyp.it/23w3ckds
I've used my Korg MS-20 for this and did it exactly the way I just described. Mine sounds kinda dirty and aggressive, but if you like you can make it sound smooth as well.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

Hey, thanks for answering! Do you mean I should just take the bass sound with noise and apply LPF to both of them? But how do you get the bass sounding like the rotor engine? What is the characteristics of sound? I am using Massive or Serum

Microlab wrote:Hey, thanks for answering! Do you mean I should just take the bass sound with noise and apply LPF to both of them? But how do you get the bass sounding like the rotor engine? What is the characteristics of sound? I am using Massive or Serum
I don't really get what you mean by the sound of the "rotor engine" in this case.. Do you just mean the faint buzzing sound? I think that phasing saw waves will get you pretty close to that.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

Return to “Sound Design”