LFO trick... can it be done?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to figure out a way to control an LFO and Im not too sure if it can be done on a synth or through a DAW or if it even has been done yet... but here is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I want to have in my synth a LFO cycle by MIDI note on/key on.. BUT... on Note off the LFO stops at whatever position it is and continues at the same position with the next MIDI note on/key on. It will continue to do this through the cycle of the LFO and start over at the end of the cycle to repeat the process.

Is this possible and if so how would I achieve it? Even if I have to use a couple of parameters (Im not sure how that would be set up) but I'm sure someone has done this before.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Any tips at all?

Interesting idea.

Thesys (a sequencer plugin by Sugar Bytes) has an option that comes close to your wish though it's indeed not what you're looking for.

It's called "manual step": You have (let's say) a sequence of 16 steps sending individual cc-values. But it only moves forward once you hit a note/key. Thus it mimics the "sweep" thru an envelope with 16 stages and will cycle at the end of the sequence. Sorry if it sounds confusing, don't know how to describe it correctly.

Edit: pic

serum has this feature :)

picture attached :)

edit: pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dyzphazia on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dyzphazia wrote:serum has this feature :)
But it will start at the beginning of the cycle each time a note is triggered, doesn't it (like they all do)?

Let me see if i can find a video

Please excuse the crap recording from my phone, this was the quickest and easiest way to demonstrate what I mean :)

edit: its the 'off' button you need, sorry should have clarified.

https://youtu.be/-iOVCeTP29Q

Though it's the off-mode it looks like the requested feature.

Usually, at least to my understanding, the off or free mode is not bound to key input. But I may be wrong, of course.

elassi wrote:Interesting idea.

Thesys (a sequencer plugin by Sugar Bytes) has an option that comes close to your wish though it's indeed not what you're looking for.

It's called "manual step": You have (let's say) a sequence of 16 steps sending individual cc-values. But it only moves forward once you hit a note/key. Thus it mimics the "sweep" thru an envelope with 16 stages and will cycle at the end of the sequence. Sorry if it sounds confusing, don't know how to describe it correctly.

Edit: pic
Elassi, this is precisely what I was talking about right here! The sequence only moves forward if you hit a note or key!! :tu: Thanks!!

I didn't think of it coming from an arp. I wonder if any other arps have this function in which you can send midi cc#? I'd preferably like to use my DAW or something that I already have available vs buying another plugin just for this function... but if I ever need it desperately, I knwo exactly where to look!

EDIT: The video is great too. So you're saying that Serum doesn't respond to note off?

In the off mode, it seems to just activate the LFO whenever there's a midi note playing and for the duration of the midi note, then pause when the midi note is no longer playing

Ahhhh. Ok. It just stops the pattern then

Just checked out the demo of Theys. And yes.. the manual mode is exactly what I want. Hoever... some niggles:

1. I tried using Thesys as just a MIDI device to send MIDI to another synth with the MIDI cc lane set to controla MIDI control on my soft synth. It does that fine. However.. it mute the output of my synth. (I dont know if that is because of i being a demo).

2. It seems that this function starts at C3 of my midi keys. When I go any lower, Thesys just wants to change the patterns. After I clicked on the options to toggle the modes of the keys, now thee is no MIDI output when I go below key C3.

Saukar30 wrote:Ahhhh. Ok. It just stops the pattern then
is this not what you were asking for? The LFO pauses when no midi note is playing.

Yes... pause when the note no midi note plays... but when the next note plays it should start at the same position that it stopped at. So if I repeatedly pressed a key, the LFO will cycle... but not according to speed, but according to note on/off.

Usual behavior of LFO: Cycles continuously by host/manual speed. It restarts by either sync or by note on

My request of LFO: Cycles by midi note on command. It doesn't restart until the end of the cycle.... so you one would have to press a few keys in order for the cycle to go through

Maybe I was too unclear to began my post. I apologize for that. Using Thesys for that yielded my results mostly.

If you are on a Mac Numerology from Five12 is the tool to make things like this work

Return to “Sound Design”