How to make a noise: Free Book

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys
Simon Cann who is the author of our ManyStation Manual and also WusikStation, has released a new book on Synth Programming.

You can get it for free too!
Here is his News (I have just reposted his email here for you guys to see.)

Edit ... i see there is a short blurp in everything else forum about this,..... But this is full info from Simon.
Thanks Simon!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pleased to announce the publication of "How to make a noise: sound design and synthesiser programming". The book is now available (for free) at www.noisesculpture.com

"How to make a noise" is the most comprehensive guide to synthesiser programming techniques and covers:

* subtractive synthesis
* FM
* additive synthesis
* wave sequencing, and
* sample based synthesis.

To illustrate the points raised, over 200 patches are available to accompany the book. The patches (together with a higher resolution version of the book, see below ) are available for $10. You don't need the patches to read the book, but it will help and will save you a lot of programming drudge.

There are two versions of the book available - the free download, and another version (which is available with the patches) that has higher resolution/less compressed graphics making it suitable for printing. The book is 116 pages/80,000 words long so you may find it preferable to print it.

If you go to www.noisesculpture.com and click on the "get the book" button, you can fill in the form at the bottom of that page to get the book for free. Alternatively, click on the link on the same page to buy the patches (and get the higher resolution book thrown in for free). If you want to avoid the website and purchase the patches immediately, follow this link: http://payloadz.com/go/sip?id˜585

As you might expect with a free book, there is zero marketing budget and so I would be grateful if you could pass on the word around. Tell your friends and post wherever you feel appropriate on the net.

If you encounter any problems with the downloads, please drop me an email and I'll sort them out.

I hope you enjoy "How to make a noise".

Simon

blah
Last edited by splattabreakz on Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

Heh
Nope :-)

But it talks about and shows Programming on WusikStation in the book, which is the same engine so ....the programming discussed will apply to ManyStation. But it covers so much more also!

Here is quote from simons Page:

The book looks at programming using examples from five of the latest software synthesisers: Cameleon 5000 from Camel Audio, Rhino 2 from BigTick, Vanguard from reFX, WusikStation from Wusik dot com and z3ta+ from rgc:audio and works from the basics through to complex programming techniques.

End Quote
Paul
Last edited by manytone on Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks 8)

Thanks for this Simon. This looks excellent at first glance. Very generous of you to give it away free.

Nice. I'll check it out!

damn!what a gift :-o :D
may have to shell out the 10$ just to support the guy 8)

:shock: WOW!!! Thanks, Simon!!! :hail: :D :hail:

Very nice. A good intro to synthesis techniques, plus using contemporary VSTs as examples makes it extra timely.

vurt wrote:damn!what a gift :-o :D
may have to shell out the 10$ just to support the guy 8)
My thought too. This sounds as if it would be a great resource to point out when newcomers to synthesis ask for a tutorial, don't you think? It's worth helping defray the cost of bandwidth to increase the number of informed knob-tweakers.

<Seinfeld>Not that there's anything wrong with factory presets...</Seinfeld>

Meffy

bump so more people see this :D

vurt wrote:bump so more people see this :D
Good idea-time for another bump!

Thank you very much! :)

Thank you! :o

just dropped in to say thanks, i just payed for the extra banks and hires copy a to cheap price for such a welt of information.

Return to “Sound Design”