What's Your "Go To" guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not every guitar you own or could own. Simply the guitar you use the most.

For me it's become my Fender "Modern Player Plus" telecaster. I didn't think I'd ever get used to the "standard C" shape neck I've had a long standing preference for slimmer necks. I play it every day and quite often won't even so much as look at the other guitars I own. I've thought about selling them off.

Sure there are things I'd like to do to the MPP Tele, Replace the pickups change the wiring, get a stetsbar. And no it doesn't fully replace any other guitar I own as it can't do everything but it just feels right.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

My only guitar!

Right now it's my vanilla Telecaster as it's the only electric I own. Years back it used to be my 1970s Les Paul Custom, only I didn't ever own an amp that really did it justice.

If I had the money to spend on guitars I would certainly be tempted to get another LP Custom.

I had an LP Custom many years back (as well as a deluxe) That thing seared and soared for me. I did have an amp that would do it justice and venues I could really open it up on. I just couldn't play it for too long. Usually after the 6th song I'd be reaching for my strat.

Today, was the first day in a week that I picked up my Michael Kelly Phoenix Vibe (howard roberts copy) It was also the first day in two months I picked up my Godin ACS (nylon string acoustic/electric)

For real, this is the type of guitar I have. It's not perfect. Mine has been kicked around a bit but it's still the best guitar I've ever owned.

I don't really play these days. I just use it to figure out chords and melodies that I can program with a mouse.

Still, it's my go to anyway.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

tapper mike wrote:I had an LP Custom many years back (as well as a deluxe) That thing seared and soared for me. I did have an amp that would do it justice and venues I could really open it up on. I just couldn't play it for too long. Usually after the 6th song I'd be reaching for my strat.

Today, was the first day in a week that I picked up my Michael Kelly Phoenix Vibe (howard roberts copy) It was also the first day in two months I picked up my Godin ACS (nylon string acoustic/electric)
For a while I still had an older HHS Strat copy at the same time as the LP, but rarely played it. If it was all single coil I might have done, but the pickups on the strat just couldn't compare (a cheap humbucker at the bridge, a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the middle, and a standard Fender pickup at the neck).

Loved that thing, but at a time when I was desperate for money I sold it when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :(

Larrivee om-3 all mahogany 6 string acoustic .

For recording, an Italia Rimini 6 electric and a '65 Goya acoustic.

Anything with a Fender logo on it... :)

(er, well you could put single coils in any old piece of wood but...)

tapper mike wrote:Today, was the first day in a week that I picked up my Michael Kelly Phoenix Vibe (howard roberts copy) It was also the first day in two months I picked up my Godin ACS (nylon string acoustic/electric)
I don't actually pick up my acoustic much anymore (I really should find time though!), and if I pick up a stringed acoustic instrument I've been much more likely to pick up my 5 string banjo.

One of these days I'll master clawhammer and frailing...

bought & modified a Telecaster this spring thinking that that would become my new #1 . . . but I was wrong. This Strat is too perfect for my fingers to not be called my #1

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Damn you.

After reading your reply, I found myself reaching for my strat as well. Falling in love with it all over again. Through it all that neck still feels like it was made for my hands. I've got so many memories from playing the thing it's hard to play anything but memories when I pick it up. Hence my move to the tele because I want to make new memories with it, rather then reliving the past with the strat.

go to for what? I've posted enough pics of my guitars for now, I wouldn't have more than two if I didn't have different go to guitars depending what I am going to use them for. Often I choose by which guitar is close by when I am writing, then once I have an idea sketched out I decide what guitar I wish to use depending on what I want to do, what I want it to sound like, do I want a whammy, what tuning do I want (with my FR guitars I often have them tuned different, while I might deicde on a different guitar and re-tune another guitar for quick ideas I grab the guitar in the tuning I want) :shrug:

For years my Warmoth strat was my main guitar, now it's probably 50/50 between that and my ESP/LTD 350FR. But given the atmosphere of these threads it's barely worth mentioning, it's made in China, it has a Floyd Rose Classic (I guess I am the only person that doesn't feel this is the worst bridge made, but I have never had any complaint with it) but I really dig the neck thru and I like the thin U neck contour from ESP (I have two guitars with this neck but the other is a bolt on), I like the EMGs and I wired it for 9/18v. But I didn't pay over 4 figures for it so it's out of the running :hihi: (fwiw I barely paid 3 figures for my Warmoth, under 200usd :lol: )
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

my trusty old yamaha se 150
not mine, but exactly the same one
this is my first guitar i bought (very) used in 1991, it's still my go to guitar

the stock pickup on this model has SO MUCH gain, every other humbucker guitar i owned could not get close to the output of this beast

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”