What's Your "Go To" guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My favourite bridge pickup is the Bill Lawrence XL500, who knows and what think about? :-D

Kriminal wrote:I have a £40 strat copy, no idea what brand.
That's the attitude. :)

I have just one guitar now; a cheap, chinese made, jazzmaster copy. Though bizarrely maybe the nicest playing guitar I've owned. Zero fret buzz, balances lovely, don't feel cramped up the neck etc. Pickups sound nice and twangy but are noisy mofos. When I change the strings I'll pop the pickguard and see what bailing wire and tin foil has been used in wiring/screening it. :hihi:

@Kriminal & GaryG: Once Billy Gibbons (the ZZ Top guitarist and the Hendrix favourite guitarist) said: "I ever used cheap (chinese\korean\japanese) guitars" and I know a lot of guitarists that with a simple cheap Squier Telecaster do great things and arrangements...

IMO Having attitude, searching an own language it's all! :-)

well I think most people know where I stand on that subject, so much so for a very heavy rhythm guitar part in a song I am working on I used my daughter's stock Hello Kitty Squire :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

black and white fender

Turello wrote:IMO Having attitude, searching an own language it's all! :-)
Absolutely. I hesitate to call myself a guitarist in the presence of you guys, knowing how great some of you are but I enjoy myself, slapping on the effects and making an interesting (IMHO) noise. :)

I've got so many damn guitars it's friggin' criminal....oddly enough some of the ones I play most aren't, by any means, the most valuable. Lately I'm playing these two a lot:

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

@GaryG: We have a lot of examples of great guitarists tha have an own language: Tom Morello (noises and scratches), Robert Fripp (soundscapes and drones), Allan Holdsworth (the alien), Adrian Belew (pure anarchy) and many others (I've learned to dislike the classic Rock\Metal virtuoso stereotype)..!

"How many roads must a guitarist walk down
Before you call him a guitarist?" ;-)

Turello wrote:My favourite bridge pickup is the Bill Lawrence XL500, who knows and what think about? :-D
It is the humbucker of choice for Darrell 'Dimebag' Abbott (Not that horrible thing Seymour Duncan came out with aka the Dimebucker; It is an insult to the XL500. I'm not being cruel either as I do like many of Seymour Duncan's designs. DiMarzio did a much superior job with their 'Humbucker From Hell' IMveryhumbleHO), Nuno B is never heard without one and IIRC another player that I like uses or has/did use the XL500 in one or two of his guitars in the bridge and that fellow southern American maestro alongside Dimebag is the one and only Jerry Cantrell (I'm not sure JC used the XL500 and I could of even be thinking of someone else/got muddled up, So don't take my word on that one). The XL500 is a great pickup in my eyes Turello

My go to guitar that I use more than any other in the collection is still and pretty much always has been my (relatively old if like myself you were born in the early 80's) pre-FMIC Jackson soloist which has a lone EMG85 at the bridge and a Floyd. I've mentioned it many times on other threads many times so I won't bore anybody rattling on about it. I'll just say that it has what to me is an ideal neck and fits like a glove. Of almost any tracks/work of mine people here may have heard, It'll be that one doing most of work, Even when I use one my seven or eight strings I still use that Jackson alongside them :D

Hell I'd be far beyond wounded if I ever lost that one guitar, I had a good few that are worth far more nicked/stolen but other than being annoyed and disappointed about the lifted ones they aren't honestly missed compared to if my trust #1 went plus it wouldn't be sellable as it is so beat and not exactly eye candy, I'd only part with it if it was prized from my cold dead hands

All the best to everyone, Haven't been around recently as I've not been very well. I'm getting back to better health though and in the process of moving house also. The plus side is I'll have a much better space for my home setup

Catch up soon with all my friends here ASAP and missed you lot :hug:

Dean

My guitar is a Charvel 475 special, which plays great, had it since I was 12. Swapped out the pickups too many times, now it's just got a neck pickup. Still have a cheap Arion compressor pedal I got in a trade years ago, and that's really opened doors up, pinch harmonics are easy.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

@Dean Aka Nekro: Well Man (happy to see You again here!), Duncans (which however produce good Pickups) are not loud and at the same time dry as a B. Lawrence (I've tried both!), also I'm a bit dirty so XL500 help me a lot...
Jerry Cantrell Is one of my favourite guitarists ever but it's strange, i don't reminds he ever use a B. Lawrence (I've owned his G&L signature and mounting a S Duncan), anyway, if you're right about this i'm glad to know!
About EMG and Floyd Rose, maybe it's my fault but with time I've learn to hate both, Hate the active picks and that complicated\tormented bridge... Better a fixed bridge or a Wilkinson tremolo for my needs... And 6 strings are enough for me (Otherwise I go in panic\confusion!) :dog: :hihi:

Dean, at least i wish the best for you too and I make wishes for your health! :tu:

PS: I hope to understand all (otherwise it is the fault of Google Translator!) :oops:

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:

Catch up soon with all my friends here ASAP and missed you lot :hug:

Dean
right back at yah ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Be well Dean
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

i use a Line 6 variax, which is far from fetish, but it does its work.
"It dreamed itself along"

Mellotron, at moment I use a Line 6 POD 2.0 coupled with a Peavey Bandit 112 and I'm very happy, especially the VOX simulation for vintage sound, if after i want more loudness i use change the channel of Bandit or use the Mesa Boogie\Soldano simulation of POD, sometimes, especially for programming better delays I connect a Korg AX1500 in send return... :-)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”