V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which version of Samplelord are you using? I didn't know it could play soundfonts - that's excellent! I didn't know you could set the v machine to 64 samples - how do you do this? Is that setting only applicable to some plugins - I can only set mine as low as 128.

I found another suitable soundfont player - Soundfont Synth by GTG - freeware. Seems to play very well. But i'll check out samplelord too because I want something to build wav instrument banks in as well as play soundfonts anyway.

Cheers, Graham

Samplelord is very CPU efficient, so it can play Piano soundfonts around 90 Mb at buffer 64. I am using latest version. (*That version is actually quite old).

It has hard-disk streaming. If you set it to preload 1second I will get clicks, but at preloading 2s it is fine. Saves RAM in V-machine.

Hm, maybe you do not have the latest firmware since you can only set it as low as 128 samples.

To update firmware in VFX software:
Righ-click Menu/ V-machine/ update firmware.

All the best
gunnare

OK I will check to see which firmware I have - when I updated everything last week after I bought it, I thought vfx seemed to indicate it was up to date but I'll check again.

What is the procedure for getting vfx and the v machine to load samplelord, regarding the registration key? How is it done?

Also, do you have to put the samples in a specific folder in a specific place on your computer drive - and then also put them in the same folder in the same place on the usb stick (if you're using USB stick to load samplelord into the v machine)? I'm very tempted by its low CPU use.

Gotta say I'm loving this machine at the moment - it's doing everything I've hoped for!

Cheers, graham

Installing Samplelord was really easy. There is a vizard, and I just entered a serialnumber that was promted by the vizard during installation.

I put all samples directly into the Samplelord folder in VFX software. (VFX library/plugins/Samplelord).
I open the Samplelord in VFX software and hit "save" and then export to V-machine. VFX software will export all the samples in the Samplelord folder.

On the other hand I have worked more than 30 hours trying to register Sampletank XL with V-machine , and still has not succeded, it has a very tricky protection system.

Today I am testing Sampletekk White Grand Jr in gigasampler format with V-machine. The recorded sustain pedal samples and all the velocity layers makes a big difference. First time I played it I sat for 30 minutes forgetting where i was.... I hope to be able to do 12 voices without glitches (256 samples latency), and buffering 1 second in Samplelord, rest it streamed from a Verbatim high-speed usb pen. Maybe I should buy an even faster USB pen! For smaller samples around 50 Mb I set pre-buffering to 2 seconds, and then I can play with 64 samples latency.

All the best
gunnare

Thanks for all that info, gunnare - looks like I'll be buying Samplelord! Sounds great.

USB pen - by the way, if you're looking for a really tiny usb stick that won't get knocked, or even worse, broken off and damage the USB port in the v machine, I bought these:

http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/usb/ ... ruzer-fit/

They are tiny!! I have one that lives in the v machine permanently, I don't have to remove it to pack the v machine in my carry bag. 16G and 32G sizes.

Cheers Graham

OK I've tried out the demo version of Samplelord. It's working great in the vmachine - really does work well!

Now for a more advanced Samplelord question - I've made up a quick multitimbral setup in Samplelord (strings on MIDI ch 1, organ on Ch2, Bass on Ch 8 ). All working as it should in vmachine - I can change my controller keyboard MIDI channel and play the different layers individually.

Now I would like to make up a split keyboard setup. How do I make something like a drum kit in samplelord, with the drums all laid out on individual keys, all on MIDI ch 10? There didn't seem to be any editing menu concerning sample key ranges or splits etc.

Is this possible to do in samplelord? I loaded up a pre-made soundfont drumkit and it showed the individual samples and ranges in samplelord - can these be edited?

***UPDATE*** OK I googled forums and found you can't make things like that.
That's OK though, I really want it for low cpu load. I make my own soundfonts anyway, using Synthfont Viena, and can load them:

http://www.synthfont.com/index.html#Viena

***UPDATE 2*** I've just bought Samplelord :)

Cheers, Graham

Hello!

No luck playing White Grand Jr from my USB pen. It is a middle speed (says high speed) Verbatim usb pen. I get clicks when I release the damper, but it is not much, so I hope it will be fine with a ultra fast USB pen.

I ordered this:
http://www.geeks3d.com/20130315/tested- ... ash-drive/
Kingston HyperX 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It is a kind of SSD disk in mini-format. I know it is big, and will probably make some space problems around the USB slots. I really hope the 1.3 gig White Grand piano sample will play nice from that USB pen.
Maybe even the big Black Grand at 6.1 gigabyte.

Yes, you discovered that Samplelord is just a sample-player. I make my own soundfonts in Vienna too.

All the best
gunnare

I wonder if the v machine is USB 3.0 ready though - if not then it's only USB 2.0, so it won't read a usb 3 stick any faster than a usb 2.0 stick....I think....??? V machine was developed 2008, and the MB not revised since then, unlikely to be USB 3.0

Cheers, Graham

It's USB2 IIRC. And PC connection is USB 1.1, horrible. Forget upgrades. :D

Good thing about USB is that the port is the same, so USB 3 SHOULD work, but at lower speeds.

Yes, I knew that V-machine had the older USB port when I ordered the Kingston HyperX usb pen. But I still hope that it will work with 1 gig piano samples. Piano samples are a lot of small files that must be accessed very quicly. I do not know what makes the problem with disk in Samplelord: The disk meter goes up to red sometimes. So is it the USB 1.1 limitation, or is it the USB pen that use too long time to find and send the samples? (Access times). If it is the USB port that is the problem , then I just wasted a lot of money. USB 1.1 is not that slow, the early USB soundcards could record on 4 channels at of 44.1 khz at the same time, like the old Tascam 428.

All the best
gunnare
Last edited by gunnare on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4 (mono) channels at 44.1 kHz is one thing, streaming a lot of voices is another thing... In any case, you will find out soon how well it will work, or not.

I dont know if I can cancel the order. Well it will be exciting to see if a hyper fast USB memory can help. I just checked that all my 3 laptops have USB 2.0. USB 3.0 spec was released today.

Guess what I can do with V-machine: Play 4 memorymoon voices, play drumloop, and play a 60 Mb Grand piano with with 28 voices with samplelord. Using 2 masterkeyboards at the same time. I use special V-machine versions of the synths with less voices. 5 voices of Messiah and 4 voices of Memorymoon. ME80 V-machine version has 4 voices, but still has some clicks, so maybe I should try 3 voices. The standard versions will cause clicks.

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention - I went and checked the buffers setting on my v machine and lo and behold - it does go down to 64 samples! Could have sworn when I first got it that it would only go down to 128. Must have not pressed the buttons hard enough.

I'm now running a test multi patch on the v machine which has Samplelord running the sounfont drum kit I made on MIDI ch10 and some synth samples in a soundfont on Ch1, the EVM Bassline plugin on ch8, and Delay Lama on Ch2. It's running great! It has replaced my Boss DR660 drum machine, EMu Esi2000 rack sampler and TX802 rack synth all in this 1 preset. Gotta say that Samplelord and the V machine are really well suited for each other.

Cheers, Graham

I got the Kinston hyperX v3 usb pen today.
http://www.storagereview.com/kingston_d ... _30_review
As the review says the Usb pen has a read speed of 200MB/s. USB 2.0 has a limit of 30 MB/s. I noticed no improvement in performance. I still have clicks with large sample pianos while using pedal. And there was no improvement on my laptops with USB 2.0. Still occasional clicks when I release the pedal. So it was a waste of money.

My cheap USB pen deliver the same results with my machines.
I have a Verbatim Store n go V3:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405392,00.asp
It has read speed 80 MB/s. (USB 2.0 has a limit of 30 MB/s).
It only cost 20 dollar and performs just as good as the Kingston hyperX that I paid 100 dollar for (All my computers have USB 2.0. )

Well somebody had to test it, since sample libraries have a lot of small files. There is not a lot information about these things on the web. For V-machine there is almost nothing. I can say that the things I have read about V-machine and external SSD drives are wrong. It does not work well. The Kinston hyperX is a SSD drive with the shape of an USB pen.

Maybe it's time to try out the v machine RAM and internal drive expansions then - put a 16G SSD internal drive, 1G RAM and see how it goes running the samples internally.

Cheers, Graham

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”