V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ojd wrote:My machine has digital noise at -45 db, its driving me nuts! It also increases after some time. It is not USB cable problem, and I use L&R out, it is noticable in high volume situation, and is unacceptable for big stage. Might be power cable (i use usual european 2-way prong instead of supplied 3-way cable). Any remedy?
Never ran into that problem. I've been using it live since I bought it ( several years now ) with no problems at all. Interference maybe? Is the input enabled with a ton of gain on it? Cellphone nearby?
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

Hello everyone,

I'm posting a question here in absolute frustration, not knowing if it's the right place to ask it, or if there even is an answer to it.

I bought a V-Machine a couple of weeks ago with the intend of using it on stage for executing VSTis live without the use of a computer. After reading through the quickstart guide, the manual, the knowledgebase on smproaudio.com and experimenting for more than a week, I have not been able to install one single VSTi on the machine.

The problem is the wizard files. A lot of references are made to a so called database of wizard files, but the database is nowhere to be found. On the SMPro Audio homepage there is a list of VSTs that have wizard files, but it's only a list, there is nothing to download. The website also claims, that it is not necessary to download the database, as it is already part of the newer versions of the VFX software, and can also be updated via the internet. This does not work, however, and even if it did, it would be of no use in my case, as the computer I wish to use for the VFX software is offline.

In one of the post in the knowledgebase they claim, that in a different post a link is given to a download of an offline version of the wizard file database. However, they do not indicate which other post they are referring to, and after reading carefully each and every post in their knowledgebase without finding it, I must conclude that it does not exist.

So, does anyone here know, if the wizard file database in fact exists and how I can download it? Or should I just return the V-Machine to vendor and continue running my VSTs from a computer? :x

Thanks! :help: :-)
:-)

You really need to be online for the VFX software to be able to download wizard files.

EvilDragon wrote:You really need to be online for the VFX software to be able to download wizard files.
Thank you for your quick reply, EvilDragon, but it doesn't work. Details in PM. :-)

I am sure that the database exists because when you are online you can use "import using database wizard" function of VFX.
I would also like to find a way to download wizards from the database for further editing. For example, i can't get Sonik Synth 2 working by just using the database wizard.

Hi I'm trying to run sample tank 2 l on my V machine but keeps saying it doesn't have the correct 'certificate" to run licenced plugins and sample tank appears in brackets (sampletank 2) and won't run, I read some where you can find it on line, which is impossible any help would be so appreciated. Thanks
The certificate is .txt file :oops:

[quote="gunnare"]Installing Samplelord was really easy. There is a vizard, and I just entered a serialnumber that was promted by the vizard during installation.

I put all samples directly into the Samplelord folder in VFX software. (VFX library/plugins/Samplelord).
I open the Samplelord in VFX software and hit "save" and then export to V-machine. VFX software will export all the samples in the Samplelord folder.

On the other hand I have worked more than 30 hours trying to register Sampletank XL with V-machine , and still has not succeded, it has a very tricky protection system.

Hi Gunnare, I just bought Sample Tank2 L with no luck on the install into the vmachine have you had any luck yet?
Cheers revthorn

No, can am not able to register Sampletank xl in V-machine. I really want it to work. I wonder if the vizards are outdated. I could put the authorize files in V-machine manually if I just knew how the Sampletank protection system works.

All the best
gunnare

sphere76 wrote:I am sure that the database exists because when you are online you can use "import using database wizard" function of VFX.
I would also like to find a way to download wizards from the database for further editing. For example, i can't get Sonik Synth 2 working by just using the database wizard.
Hello sphere76 and EvilDragon,

Thanks for your replies. After several days of further reading and experimentation I finally got it: yes, the database IS there, but only very specific versions of the plugs can be imported.

E.g. I have Lounge Lizard EP-4 and an older version as well, Lounge Lizard EP-2. However, there is only a wizard file for Lounge Lizard EP-3 3.1 and Lounge Lizard Session 3, according to the SM Pro Audio homepage. I.e. the two plugs I own are useless.

Anyway, I tried installing MrTramp2 and MrRay73, both freeware EPs. None of them are really up to my standards, though MrRay73 is kind of OK and can be tweaked a lot more than MrTramp. However, the CPU of the V-Machine cannot even handle MrRay73, and there's lots of digital noise when playing more than 4-5 notes at a time, even without using the pedal. And that's when running ONLY that plug, no fx, audio in etc. So, SM Pro Audio's bold statement about the V-Machine's capacity to run several plugs at the same time, is definitely not true. In conclusion, I feel like I have completely wasted my money as well as 2-3 weeks of my time. I'll stick to the laptop solution. I'm not even gonna consider buying a more expensive standalone player, I'm afraid it will just be more of the same.

Maybe a computer programmer who can make the wizard files and modify the plugs to run without GUI, can get a satisfactory result from the V-Machine. But he/she would have to have time to spare as well as enjoy the challenge. For someone working as a professional musician or composer, wishing to spend time with creativity in the music department (and not in the programming department), the device is, in my opinion, useless.

Good luck to anyone else out there, still sweating over the box... ;-)

P.S. This is just TOO ironic! After almost one month of searching, I finally found the wizard files! When searching for something completely different (i.e. the "bad_certificate.txt") in the Application Data folder, I stumbled over a folder called "magic"... It contains all the wizard files listed on the SM Pro Audio site! I have absolutely no idea why they did not show up on a search of the harddrive, except maybe that the Application Data folder is "hidden"...? Also, I have absolutely no idea why nobody, including the employees SM Pro Audio support, where able to point me in this direction...?

If anybody out there wants to find the files for any reason (e.g. wanting to use them as basis for their own wizard files), the can be found here (on an XP system): C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\vfx\

Remember that the folder is hidden, so you might have to change the settings in Windows Explorer.

Cheers! :-D

bentstavanger wrote:P.S. This is just TOO ironic! After almost one month of searching, I finally found the wizard files! When searching for something completely different (i.e. the "bad_certificate.txt") in the Application Data folder, I stumbled over a folder called "magic"... It contains all the wizard files listed on the SM Pro Audio site! I have absolutely no idea why they did not show up on a search of the harddrive, except maybe that the Application Data folder is "hidden"...? Also, I have absolutely no idea why nobody, including the employees SM Pro Audio support, where able to point me in this direction...?

If anybody out there wants to find the files for any reason (e.g. wanting to use them as basis for their own wizard files), the can be found here (on an XP system): C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\vfx\

Remember that the folder is hidden, so you might have to change the settings in Windows Explorer.

Cheers! :-D

My guess is that its possible to totaly screw up the v machine operation by changing the files. Permissions and such like could be messed up. So they don't tell anyone where the file are.

UltraJv wrote:My guess is that its possible to totaly screw up the v machine operation by changing the files. Permissions and such like could be messed up. So they don't tell anyone where the file are.
...but on the other hand, the V-Machine can do nothing unless you are a skilled programmer, who can can "mess around" with the wizards etc. In other words: Damn you if you do, and damn you if you don't... :dog:

Just a follow-up to a previous thread I had running a few pages back, about program change. I finally got around to reading up and figuring out how to get the v-machine to change presets (not just patches) over MIDI from a sequencer. It works really great! A bit tricky to initally work out, mainly because the manual is a bit cryptic, but once it's done it's great.

You have to set the v-machine system MIDI setup (hold down both top buttons and then scroll through the system menus) and set MIDI program change to "Presets, then patches". Now, when you're making up the preets in VFX, set the mixer's master MIDI channel (shown just above the master volume slider) to the channel you want it to repond to. This is the cryptic part - the manual doesn't say what you do to change the default value fromm "all" channels. You click and hold down the mouse on the word "all" then pull the mouse up or down while holding the mouse button. Release it when it reaches the MIDI channel you want. ***sigh*** good grief! They could at least put simple up/down arrows so you knew you had to click on these to change values.

So once that's done, save that preset. If you have just one vst in your preset, you could set the mixer's master MIDI channel to be the same as the VST's MIDI channel, but if you have a multi-vst setup on different channels, then it's handy to give the multi-timbral preset a basic channel for program change messages.

Works a treat - loving my v-machine, it's doing everything I wanted it to. I now have 3 v-machines in 3 different studios and just carry a usb stick in my wallet to seesions :D

Cheers, Graham

gmeredith wrote:
Works a treat - loving my v-machine, it's doing everything I wanted it to. I now have 3 v-machines in 3 different studios and just carry a usb stick in my wallet to seesions :D

Cheers, Graham
It's so weird, how some people can make it work, and others not. For me it has been a total disaster. I have only been able to install some simple freeware VSTs, all completely uninteresting for my purposes.

All my "real" VSTs are either of an unsupported version number (e.g. Lounge Lizard 2, only 3.1 is supported), or they won't run because my V-Machine has a "bad certificate". According to the SMPro Audio homepage, in case of bad certiface, send the file to their customer support, and they will solve the problem. I did, but they never answered. Nor did they answer any of my other tickets... :-(

I got a bad certificate reply straight away. Not sure what's happening, but keep trying.
It's so weird, how some people can make it work, and others not. For me it has been a total disaster. I have only been able to install some simple freeware VSTs, all completely uninteresting for my purposes.
I understand.

Here is my experiences with it, and my "philosophy" regarding synths and playing, and what has worked for me, and my success with the v-machine:

I'm using my v-machine for live performance work (and also recording songs). If live performance is your eventual aim, to tell the truth, you only end up using a small collection of vst's when you're on the road in reality. I have a few favourite vst's that do 99% of the work - my v-machine is used live as a drum machine, sampler and synth for the band.

The main "hub" for any live work with a compact setup is a good sampler, and for an elecronic/techno band, a good sequencer. For a sequencer, I use an Alesis MMT8 - superb live workhorse. For a sampler, I use the v-machine running Samplelord, loading soundfonts I've made myself for the drum layouts - so the v-machine is my drum machine, running samples.

I also have the v-machine running Samplelord with a keyboard layer - pianos, organs, stock key workhorse sounds - played with a controller keyboard or keytar (my darling Casio AZ-1 :lol: ).

After that, I have Samplelord running some triggered samples - vocals, loops, noises, synth noises, exotic percussion, sound effects etc.

Then, if I want to use a synth sound to play and manipulate in real time eg. filters etc, I run a standard type synth vst (moog type etc) that's in the v-machine factory library, or GTG's JP7A or other freeware synth. Or I'll sample one of my favourite hardware synths for that particular song and play it in samplelord. Honestly, playing live, you don't have time to fiddle with synth parameters or hundreds of patches to get that "perfect" sound that you have in a Native Instruments plugin at home in your studio anyway - I just sample it, or grab a simple vst that will sound like it.

When you're playing live in a pub, and your band turns up to be plugged in to some dubious quality PA system, run by some dubious quality sound guy, drinking some dubious quality whiskey, all your expensive vst's that everyone "must have", and are having trouble with here on the forums with the v-machine don't sound any better than what I'm using. All the 4GB astonishingly real piano vst's or banks sound no better than the simple ones I run on Samplelord when coming out of a pub PA system. And then the sound guy EQ's them to crap and then stuffs with your volume levels so that you can't even hear yourself play in the band - they sound nothing like what they sound like through your pristine ultra hi-fi studio monitors you play them through at home in your studio. My experience is don't waste your time and money on them for live playing.

These are the standard backbone vst's for my live performances with the v-machine. So as you can see, it's nearly all focussed around a good sampler vst - Samplelord running soundfont sample banks or straight samples of drums, stock keyboards and synths. Then a couple of workhorse synth vst's. All played with a couple of good keyboard controllers plugged into the v-machine.

After that, in the band we have the hardware instruments that are played and manipulated, for eye candy - Kaossilators, drum pad interfaces that plug into the v-machine, bass guitars, guitars, acoustic instruments etc.

Please don't think I'm trying to nullify any of your problems you have of getting your favourite vst's to work on the v-machine - I am fully aware of it's limitations and can understand the frustrations you are all having. If you're wanting to use the v-machine in your studio for tinkering/replacing your hardware synths, acoustic piano etc, I understand - it does have it's problems.

But if it's for live performance work, you should bear in mind the nasty realities of live performance playing I've mentioned and use the v-machine in the manner that I do, and minimise your frustrations on stage. It works perfectly for us and is rock solid, 100% reliable, never chokes - my hardware synths were less reliable than the v-machine, my live laptop vst system even less, and I've emulated them all in the v-machine, either with simple vst's or samples of the synths. I am not going back to my complicated, heavy hardware rig ever again: Casio FZ-1 sampler, Yamaha DX7, Boss Dr660 drum machine, Casio VZ10m rack, Emu Esi-2000, Yamaha TX802, TX81z, CZ101, Yamaha CS01, SH101. All of these now live inside the v-machine.

In the end, regarding live playing, you're there to play for an audience - not just yourself - especially if you're getting paid for it. So being hung up about the purity of a synth vst's sound/nuances/behaviour is only going to make your stage experience frustrating for you, and the audience will see that. Playing live needs to be an enjoyable experience. And like any job you do to earn a living, if you don't enjoy it, it's time to get out.

***steps down from soapbox****

Again, please don't think I'm saying you don't have a reason to complain about the v-machine - about what it claimed it can do, and what it really CAN do. I agree (although not experienced any of the problems myself). But I just wanted to show a v-machine success story amongst all of the problems raised here - so that you can at least know, that running it in a certain way will give the results claimed, and maybe that will help someone wanting to use it in the same manner that I do.

Cheers, Graham

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”