Carillon Control 49/61 Key MIDI Controller: Advice Needed!!!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I would like to get a midi keyboard to avoid having to move around the one I currently use. For now I would like to think that a Carillon Control 61 Key USB MIDI Controller would do well to placate some of those needs until further down the road. Nothing fancy nor too pricey, just some decent level functionality will suffice for now.

Basic specs covered by the Carillon Control 61:
61 full-size touch sensitive keys
8 assignable controller knobs
8 full range fader controllers
An assignable data fader
Pitch Bend/Modulation Wheel
Question: Has anyone got any advice/opinions/warnings... on this midi controller.

Any actionable info would be appreciated, please!!!....:help:

The Carillon Control 61 Key USB MIDI Controller is currently on sale hence !!!.

Cheers!!!!
Last edited by LexAmus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B^ U^ M^ P^

No reply = good/bad news???

____ :box: ____ :violin: ____

I would like To know ALso !.
i'mb hunting my First keyboard/midi controller and Noticed those
Carillon are pretty cheap.

About 60€ for a 49keys model. Any Info tips ,or alternative at that prce range for 49 /or 61 keys would be Great!
They are just on order ,impossible to try here where i live

Hi,

Could anyone who owns/uses the Carillon Control 49 or 61 Key - MIDI Controller say whether it's velocity sensitive or not, please!!!... I'd really appreciate an accurate and/or actionable response ASAP...(as much details possible).

Cheers

:help:

well Ad Says "The Carillon Control provides touch sensitive full size keys, 8 assignable controller knobs..etc"

But man ,we are lost here .it's evident that nobody lse Uses It .
I think AN UK Based forum Should Give You best answers (i'm italian so have still to find any info about)

FOr what Is Worth..
I did read There are Some Problems To get The Keyboard recognized by Windows Xp (the bad part),
ANd For the "good part" i heard those are M-audio rebadged Midi controllers ,so Not the Most crappy thing you can Buy In theory ,but still Quite Uncertain.
Also Could be Miditech ones..If You look on the net some Models Of those 3 Brands are quite IDENTYCAL.

Miditech
http://www.miditech.de/images/2007/LOGO ... -klein.jpg

http://www.miditech.de/images/2008/i2se ... %20Box.jpg

M-audio

http://www.soundonsound.com/images/foru ... ge.jpg.png

Will check out those links. In the meantime anyone using the 25/49/61 key midi controller care to comment??? ..... :help:

just came acroos this post , recently purchased the 25 cos it was so cheap, has battery power option and has pitch/mod above the kboard making it ultra portable. From a little research, the carillon is rebranded m audio oxygen series units( ???) check the similarities. Says plug and play I don't thinkk So!!! Download driver from M audio hey presto!!
Yes velocity sensitive and good feeling rubber programmable encoders. Had evolution an and edirol pcr b4 would rate it abpove the PCR!!
Support for the unit has vanished the company site gives a 404. Had read a few posts regarding drivers, but fine with this XPsp3.

1st up thanks a lot for the user info. Almost thought of giving up then... If you could verify and let me know that this brand midi keyboard is capable of note velocities from anywhere between 5 upto 127 then I'd be extra grateful. ...

an open response to PM from LexAmus (at some inconsiderable expense) :wink:

the 25 does not I believe do program change

need a bigger hammer
Last edited by auto_moment on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey!, you've managed to do one better and post an actual screen shot of the note on velocity range....nice one.

I'll take it that the Carillon can easily do other note on velocities between 1 and 125, yes?. After not even hearing zilch user feedback on the midi controller for so long I'll run with the info you've extended to me... It's much appreciated yeah.

Cheers!!!

:tu:

yeah like I say I'll need a bigger hammer to get to 127 :hihi:

Well, I just got the 61 key version to replace my VERY aging Yamaha Portasound PSS680. It did actually plug and play out of the box, no other drivers needed and it can be used with the regular MIDI connector too, to control 2 softsynths at once.
It's very different though to what I'm used to, a fixed-velocity mini-keyboard, so I'll have to see if I can get used to it.
Quality wise it seems OK, keys are a tiny bit wobbly, but for 60 pounds including some quite nice free headphones it was a bargain, quite pleased with it. Sliders and knobs are good and firm, feels like it will stand up to what I will do with it ( it'll be in one place, but used daily... )

wriggleruk wrote:Well, I just got the 61 key version to replace my VERY aging Yamaha Portasound PSS680. It did actually plug and play out of the box, no other drivers needed and it can be used with the regular MIDI connector too, to control 2 softsynths at once.
It's very different though to what I'm used to, a fixed-velocity mini-keyboard, so I'll have to see if I can get used to it.
Quality wise it seems OK, keys are a tiny bit wobbly, but for 60 pounds including some quite nice free headphones it was a bargain, quite pleased with it. Sliders and knobs are good and firm, feels like it will stand up to what I will do with it ( it'll be in one place, but used daily... )
Hi,

So the keys are indeed of the fixed "dynamic" velocity variety, interesting twist. Thanks for taking the time to make this pithy post.

I guess whatever amount the adjustable velocity-"dynamic"-slider is set to, all notes will then play at a constant velocity value, yes?; unlike a regular/traditional "velocity sensitive" midi controller would.

Cheers for the info mate!

:tu:

Sorry - misunderstanding! I meant my old keyboard was fixed velocity. The Carillon is properly dynamic, the velocity slider sets a 'minimum' velocity.
Can you play Far Far Away?
Yes - how far would you like?

Out of interest, I was looking at the pictures of them on various sites.. On most, there are clearly knobs and sliders [eg this]; but Reverb store shows it without them [here].. Which did you get, and have reverb got the picture wrong?

I would much prefer to have the knobs and sliders than not, so this might affect where I buy from :)

Hi Duncan,

I got mine from Reverb. There are two models, econtrol61 which has no controls, and the Control61 which does. I just tried to get to the website to give you the link to the one I got, but it's down... not very promising! But they definitely did have both in stock, so you probably just had the wrong one up.

EDIT: The site is back up. I guess the 61 key version is now out of stock, this is the 49 key version:

http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-d ... ?prod=2336

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”