Any luck with Korg nanoPad drivers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

david.beholder wrote:
whitecloud wrote:cool, what utility did you use. I have been thinking the possibility of broken drivers. On the Korg forum followed a link that blamed Windows USB. Yes the drivers are the same I believe.
Start/KORG/KORG USB-MIDI Driver Tools/Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device

and manual is

Start/KORG/KORG USB-MIDI Driver Tools/Installation manual
Thanks I did that many times last week, sorry no go

Ok everyone. I got it. Did the M-audio utility but don't think that did anything as I have no M-Audio device. But where I screwed up before was I didn't cancel found new hardware. I located the Korg driver and followed the prompts. This time after un-installing the nano drivers I cancelled then installed the Korg USB, and voila. It shows up in the editor now. I will try Cubase and Tracktion to see how the latency is. Thanks all

whitecloud wrote:Did the M-audio utility but don't think that did anything as I have no M-Audio device.
First of all, congrats on getting your own situation cleared up whitecloud!

Just to clarify, the M-audio utility has nothing to do with having m-audio hardware - or anyone else's hardware for that matter. It's not specific to any particular hardware at all. The problem which it was designed to address is entirely a Windows Registry issue.

All the utility does is to clean out unnecessary or redundant midi device entries in your registry. It doesn't uninstall anything and as far as I know it's not supposed to delete any entries that correspond to currently installed devices. I'm not sure how it figures out what is or is not needed, but in the case of someone like fac - who is actually running with 10 devices - the utility shouldn't help because he doesn't have any unused/extra entries to clean out.
- madhatter (on esoundz)

madhatter_ wrote:
whitecloud wrote:Did the M-audio utility but don't think that did anything as I have no M-Audio device.
First of all, congrats on getting your own situation cleared up whitecloud!

Just to clarify, the M-audio utility has nothing to do with having m-audio hardware - or anyone else's hardware for that matter. It's not specific to any particular hardware at all. The problem which it was designed to address is entirely a Windows Registry issue.

All the utility does is to clean out unnecessary or redundant midi device entries in your registry. It doesn't uninstall anything and as far as I know it's not supposed to delete any entries that correspond to currently installed devices. I'm not sure how it figures out what is or is not needed, but in the case of someone like fac - who is actually running with 10 devices - the utility shouldn't help because he doesn't have any unused/extra entries to clean out.
Thanks for the info, all I know is I am happy now. I did run a registry cleaner before, but perhaps this M-audio utility helped. Windows USB headaches. I remember the joystick interfaces working better and of course my old Mini MACMAN.

*bump*

Does anyone else have to go through this fun little ritual with their nanoPAD every once in a while?

The Chase wrote:*bump*

Does anyone else have to go through this fun little ritual with their nanoPAD every once in a while?
It's not specific to the Nano if it's the XP 10 MIDI device limit. Plug any MIDI device into a USB port and an entry is made in Windows' registry. Plug in another device (or plug the same device into a different port) and another registry entry is made. As you can see it's pretty easy to use all the 10 available entries and ununstalling device drivers will not erase the registry values - that's what the M-Audio utility is for. If you have more than one MIDI device (or more than ten USB ports ;)) the only workaround is to label your USB ports so that you always use the same port for a particular device. Hope this helps.

On a related note I have all three Nanos and the drivers and editor have worked fine for me (even though the Nanokey is made of cheese...)
"are we there yet?"

With Korg's MIDI drivers it's a two step set-up. (speaking winxp)
First you need to install the driver itself (only once), then run the utility to activate a given product. You need to run the utility again if you change usb port/hub.

It's also important to download the latest korg driver (NOV 2009) as it fixes an important memory leak issue.

The 10 drivers limit shouldn't be a problem anymore as most drivers will use the wdmaud.drv driver, and only one is needed.

You can edit the registry yourself:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

If you see that you have a given driver more than once you can delete them, normally the oldest entry.
Or better rename the key (ex: MIDI1 -> _MIDI1), easy to fix if things go wrong.

If you want to remove a midi port that uses the wdmaud.drv don't remove the wdmaud.drv entry but go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
All your midi/audio drivers are listed by id numbers.
EX: 0031/Drivers/midi/drvname
Don't delete the entry but put an underscrore to the folder named midi, this will remove the midi driver for that device.
EX: 0031/Drivers/_midi/drvname
I do that as I would normally exceed 32 midi ports, and I think it's the limit for standard midi ports.
I mainly remove the midi drivers from my soundcards as I don't use them.

Hello,

I am on Win XP SP3 and also experience problems with the nanopad.
I remember that it was working correctly when I first used it a year ago. In the meantime I had de-installed everything.

I now wanted to install it again, but I cannot even install the drivers. I couldn't find the CD anymore that came with the nanopad, so I downloaded the drivers from the Korg Homepage.
I always get the following error when running the driver installer (DrvTools_e.exe):

I get the same message, when i try to de-install the drivers now, using the windows internal de-installation ot ccleaner to de-install it. argh.

I have used the midifix program that somebody suggested, no luck. have been trying several times to install the drivers, no luck at all.

what could be a solution for this problem ?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”