Midi Keyboard Velocity Test

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RexXx wrote:
remure wrote:here come the VMK 188 plus velos ::

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... at112.png/

sorry for the external img..cant get to it embed it here ...
Thank you, remure!
Half of the velocities not triggering?! :shock:

And I had already 90% decided I should get this 'board (or the VMK-176 Plus). :(

numa nano velos ::

soft preset ::

med preset ::

hard velos::

these are the three presets you can choose from ...but you can make your own by learning the board as you play ...

i find numa nano very solid ...i like the feel of its keys ..there is a problem with the firmware ..latest is 1.22 but the USB connection is not stable , sometimes it hangs the whole board ( numa stops responding - power cycle to bring it back to live) , but without USB , just on midi cable it works fine ....i have it for testing ..and i found problems with two keys in organ mode (no keys dynamics) ... they seem to sent a note on while releasing the key ...im in contact with the support , waiting for decisions if it is this one board i have or something with the firmware .....

anttipi wrote:
RexXx wrote:
remure wrote:

And I had already 90% decided I should get this 'board (or the VMK-176 Plus). :(
the 188 plus has no velocity curves ...there is only this one i have posted and it doesnt looks good ...

remure wrote: the 188 plus has no velocity curves ...there is only this one i have posted and it doesnt looks good ...
I don't mind setting velocity curves on my PC but this kind of inconsistency is another matter.

I'm wondering if it's the same with the whole VMK line - feel-wise at least, the 176 Plus seems to be getting a lot of love. It's supposed to be a slightly different keybed (TP40M vs. 188's TP40GH) anyway. But it seems Fatar/Studiologic couldn't care less when it comes to quality control so I wouldn't be surprised if the 176 Plus sucked too. :roll:

LamerDeluxe wrote:I get full range from 0 to 127 with my X-Board 49 with the linear velocity curve. Some of the other curves have one or a few more gaps. Not bad at all.
I agree! I suspect TI's X-Board is faulty.

E-mu Xboard49 - Velocity Test

The E-mu Xboard49 has nice half weighted keys, but I've always wondered why I can't get velocity levels below 20 on my Xboard49, whatever velocity curve or firmware...

...after changing the "MIDI Minimum Velocity (UMi)" parameter on the xboard49, I can very good reach all velocity levels with velocity curve 1 (linear) or curve 2 (compressed, my favorite).
Press on the xBoard49 Edit->X1->select CAL->select UMi-> change it from 20 to 1 (manual page 42).

Xboard49 (my factory settings, velocity curve 1)

Xboard49 (changed the UMi parameter to 1, velocity curve 1 or 2)

Hey folks, check your controllers and post you results!
Last edited by RexXx on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remure, thanks a lot for the Numa nano test and your little review!
Btw, the TP100LR keys are installed on the Numa nano, Numa Piano and the coming Studiologic Acuna88 masterkeyboard.

Hey folks, check your controllers and post you results!

It's a shame the Xboard is discontinued, it seems to have the best velocity response of everything tested here.

M-Audio Oxygen 61 (Third generation blue). Note: The velocity curve is set to C4 (linear neutral) and not the default C2:

bmrzycki wrote:It's a shame the Xboard is discontinued, it seems to have the best velocity response of everything tested here.
I once asked at Guitar Center why they didn't have them on display anymore.

He said that the weights on the keys kept falling off so they decided to stop displaying them.
I don't know if they also stopped selling them or if the problem has been fixed.
This was probably 2 years ago.

Very interesting thread! I used to wonder why the Scarbee Epiano used to sound so flat in my system but so wonderful in Youtube videos. I finally realized that I was not using the full range of the samples. I noticed this with a number of my piano/Epiano VSTs.

Both Kontact and Pianotec have good embedded utilities that allow you to see in real time as you play the output range of your midi controller. With Pianotec you can just get the demo and view the output of your controller. Kontact is especially nice because it allows you to customize the curve to your playing style and controller output. As you play, you can see where your midi data is on the curve. I think Pianotec has some nice options for this as well, but I have a number of sample libraries in Kontact.

I have my Scarbee singing now. :)

This is what I get when I use my homemade piano sensor bar EPiCK:

Though I have to admit that some velocities, especially low ones are hard to get depending on the settings for gravity and distance between trigger point and string.

EMU Xboard 61 Velocity Curve set to 1 (Linear Velocity) I don't remember where I have the UMi or lower velocity limit set, and couldn't be arsed to check it in the calibration menu. :P

Took a few minutes to hit them all since the linear velocity tends to be a bit overly sensitive. :P (I usually use #5 on the velocity curve, which does skip values, around the middle since it showed a bit of a pattern.)

"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

bmrzycki wrote:It's a shame the Xboard is discontinued, it seems to have the best velocity response of everything tested here.
Users hounded e-mu relentlessly, until they got it right. On release, it was
all over the map, many moons and rants before proper curves were released.

If they had the other half of their wit, they would resume production,
adding an 88 key version, and cut a bundle deal with DigitalSoundFactory

Cheers

Here is the results from my Icon Neuron 5.

But i still think that the velocity response of this keyboard has some problems.
Verry often, when i press keys with very low pressure,
i get velocities like 120-127 for some notes.
And this destroys the performance.

Changing velocity curves doesn't fix it.

Do you think there is a solution for this?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”