Midi Keyboard Velocity Test

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I decided to come back to this thread since a key on my XBoard 61 died, and I got a new controller, a Novation Impulse 61 last xmas.

Here is the velocity chart using number 2 on the velocity curve:

I haven't tested the other velocity curves, but I like this curve, and it fits my playing well enough. I have to say while maybe slightly smoother, or lighter than the Xboard, I really like the semi-weighted key action on the Impulse. I do wish it was maybe ever so slightly more "chunky" but it does feel pretty good. :)
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Without re-curving my velocity through software in the THRU stage, my DX11 only gets up to around 115-120 in velocity. However, it's all I'll use, as every MIDI controller keyboard I've ever owned (several in total) has either gone haywire or died completely within 2-3 years of delicate studio use. I'd rather lose the 7 points of resolution to have a reliable, solid piece of hardware that I don't need to worry about crapping out on me.

I'll keep using it till something better comes along, IF it ever does (yeah, I'm talking to you, Note!).

Anyone able to get this to work properly in Win8.1? I see there are at least two versions available according to the screen caps in this thread. On my PC it works but the indicators are missing their numbers so it's a pain to figure out each value by counting.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”