Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I should love p-rails but everything I've heard them in sucks so far. Then again I'm listening via my lappy speakers.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:I should love p-rails but everything I've heard them in sucks so far. Then again I'm listening via my lappy speakers.
I'm not so sure they would be my first choice in most standard guitars but a baritone is a different beast when it comes to the tone I want and they are a perfect fit. As I see it I will likely only have one baritone in my life so I want it to be very versatile, and mine will be the swiss army knife of baritones :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tapper mike wrote:I should love p-rails but everything I've heard them in sucks so far. Then again I'm listening via my lappy speakers.
My only issue with them is the tone they excel at, the P-90, isn't humbucking. That's when genius boy over here realized I don't need every possible switching combination in the world, just the four or five that I really love.

talk about timing, I just got this email :hyper:

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hibidy's Ibby makes me want an Ibby for myself. Haven't had an ibby since the early 90's

But mine would be a Lukather Roadstar II
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Here's what he's playing now

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-L ... 07620668_P

Do want, but not going to happen

Billy Zoom talking about pickups (third post down):

http://gretschpages.com/forum/pickups/l ... 642/page1/

Okay I've tried to reply here about three time and each time I've accidentally closed the browser window before hitting submit.

Re Luke: Yeah I've seen the vid. While I like some of the MM stuff especially the axis, evh (I think they did it better then peavy or now EVH/Fender) I'm not especially impressed with the body style. Sometimes looks count for something. The old ibby was more "classy" and had a warmer low end.

Re Billy Zoom: Where has he been? It's hard to be a Vernon Reid when you only charted for 3 months and then vanish. I actually liked X at the time for bringing the bark of rhythm back into rock at the time.

As far as P90/soap bar pickups...
I was playing a lot of rockabilly/blues for awhile back in the late 90's/early 2000's with both my strat and my Gibson Blueshawk. The Blueshawk was ripped off. Seriously that was the be all end all of soapbar pickups. It had P-100's in it and with the varitone I could carve up anything. For a long time I looked to replacing it but it never came to pass. The blueshawk could do anything from a thinline to a Barney Kessel Kay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8gx0nFM ... =endscreen

After constantly searching and coming upon many ideal features and configurations which would suit me, my needs and wants in an electric guitar except most of the time the ideal features and configurations as my luck would have it are scattered over numerous guitars and by numerous brands just to make things even more damned well "sweet". I've finally decided that instead of yet another situation where I buy a nearly ideal guitar then spend quite alot extra on replacing and reconfiguring it which as you know doesn't even include the actual hardest part of it all which is spending alot of time getting things to work/behave just right (Of which is rather thin on the ground due to circumstances I have no control over)...I am going to have a non-snobbish/non-elite axe which is based upon/taken from a really solid but not overwhelming amount of options built for me to my own specifications. With all that said I am pretty certain that I'll take my custom to this guy as he fits all the criteria: http://www.jadenroseguitars.com, To give an idea of what I mean reviews (although yeah I know are subjective) can be had a read of here from numerous axe monthlys that are not massively in-depth either but give a ballpark idea of what to expect and mostly what not to expect: http://www.jadenroseguitars.com/category/reviews + to have a looksie & listen to some builds you can checkout this page with plenty on it plus related videos do come up: http://www.jadenroseguitars.com/video

I do not have anything concrete at the moment regarding specifications but I've got a fairly good idea of what I want and what I don't want. Price wise like all it could end up getting abit silly, If it does then I just won't pull the trigger. So far prices seem reasonable even though I am not in a position to be buying anything at the moment. I've only had chance to play a few models but from memory they were of really good quality (Considering that they were orders tailored to a shop/retail/dealers floor so way too many bells & whistles to impress as is to be expected). It was a good few years ago also so I really can not be that precise. It was from those memories as is gotten at in the reviews no bones about it to simply take a little through to quite alot of[bold]It Just Damned Well Works So I'm Gonna Run With It[/bold] tried & trusted "inspiration" from Ibanez (RG/Roadster models which is glaringly obvious yet doesn't seem lifted wholesale), ESP Horizon/H models(Please don't think 'Oh yeah, Here we go again...Dean's going to go on about that f00kin stolen one he once had :hihi: all those years ago) & M even M models, EVH, JP but not really Musicman also seem to be part of the inspirations (Especially with respect to pickup choices on some models) for examples but they then seem to stray abit away from the beaten, down trodden path with choice of tone woods deployed (Weight is low on what I've read up on which for me is you know paramount) along with a (This one could just be me, Due to what I know these fine instruments for and love at the same time; Please correct me if I'm wrong here/way out please) Warrick's electric bass guitars along with that influencing the finish options also, Perhaps the more modern range of Framus solidbodies (Which I do like quite a few of).

I'm not totally losing faith in myself to pickup less expensive off the shelf guitars and turn them into really good guitars but as mentioned and can't stress it enough, That route ends up costing alot of the time at least what I pay for the guitar in factory/stock condition, Which in turn can take time that I clawing away for more yet finding myself with less and less of with overall weight being not as severe as for example vurt's requirements but still without going into alot of detail is really critical or I end up having to lay myself up and double the amount of drugs so I'm drugged twice as unholy than 'normal'

As friends, Fellow passionate players, PermaModders/Tweak heads and opinions/advice I always appreciate what do you think?

Thanks for hearing me out and if I'm coming across as a moaning, picky twat then tell me straight that I should suck it up and get a grip...etc. I do take critism on every aspect of my person well, All humour no matter the amount of laughing at me aswell as along with me and in this case, As I've really opened up because it is something that has been gnawing/grinding away at me for a good few months at least personal and random attacks without mercy not to heart...So have at it/me ;=[

It'll cost quite abit so it is not a descion I'll be making lightly

All the best and hope everyone is doing well as always :)

Dean

PS: Obviously I won't be quiting Bargain hunts, Window shopping, Lust/GAS and such plus I still have around four quality axes I have plans for, Have done for along time. This tory regime plaguing everyone over here has hit me really, really hard, Gear money is thin to say the least. so I don't know if this is just temporary insanity :?

Dean, that Rose looks sick!

Unfortunately you can't have it all when it comes to an electric guitar. Heavy sounds from a light body aren't going to happen. You might be better off with a smaller body with a heavier wood so you get the mass happening.

@tapper mike: Yeah, the ibby looks great, but the luke gets some nice tones out of the new one.

I got all my parts now. Shims, noisless springs (lord knows if those will work) So, I ready to geek out one of the twins and get rosy up to snuff (I was SLOPPY when I did her pups)

Gotta do the knife edges on the edge pro. I hope that helps with the pull back tuning. If not, I guess I'll need new PP's too.

Yeah, the music man luke model does sound great.

I just brought one of these bad boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LO_3p1MWME

Hopefully it's as good as the man makes it out to be... it's in the post, haven't actually played it yet.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”