Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know a guy who is having a well equipped z12 built

He's no stranger to unique instruments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIupV9Hy ... D6UWZdXcpA

And he travels the world playing gigs at colleges universities. Much of the music he does could not be recreated on a guitar.

As for violinists buying expensive guitars it's more about status then performance. They don't buy the violin until they can afford it and if they are smart they lock that fancy stratovarius in a vault and only play it in very special performances (like playing for the President)
http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/01/ ... -the-rest/

Who goes to classical concerts....Millionaires. Who sponsors Classical performances...Millionaires
There are quite a few millionaire wives and daughters and sons who went to private schooling to become classical performers. (starting at a very young age) So even if they aren't making a good living as a classical musician they have sugar daddy to finance them.

Ann Romney's Horse.... a partial breakdown for the $77,731 figure: housing ($29,000 -- the price the Ebelings charge customers), food ($1,200 -- might be low), clothing ($10,000), medical care ($2,000 -- also might be low), and transport to shows ($15,000).

If you are rich you don't have the same value system. That damn horse lives better then I do and I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to buy. It's an olympic dancing horse so it's not like they are getting any financial return on it.

I used all one needed was one good guitar and the rest was about will power. Then I thought that a cheap guitar was just as good as a more expensive one. Ha yeah right. I went through a lot of junk and only caught a small few good and cheap guitars.

Do I think an expensive guitar "Plays better" then a less expensive one? No but I understand the influence of having a high quality guitar can have on ones playing. Do I think that more money equals better... No but there is a reason why I use silverware as opposed to plastic sporks. It doesn't make the food taste better but If I want to impress a girl with my cooking I'm not making mac and cheese with bologna and a bottle of ripple.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

KrisM wrote:I don't think I'll ever be able to justify a $1900 guitar to myself
FWIW, the higher priced models are the ones that tend to go up in value over time.
Ibanez's choice of quilted maple just doesn't impress me, at least on that guitar, it just looked 2D and grainy, like something you'd see on a $400 guitar
Agreed. Same with their spalted maple tops. I like their flame maple tops, even though they're veneers.
Maybe Carvin has spoiled me, but their quilted maple finishes look incredibly lush and 3D in comparison.
That's because it's real and not a veneer.

@tapper mike: That's just crazy shit yo!

Finally arrived. was getting worried there for a while.
I even put strings on it.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

She's a beaut, I'm sure that guitar has found a good home.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

That z12 is insane o.O I like it.
Meh.

KrisM wrote:That z12 is insane o.O I like it.

I've always wanted a a mini Z 6 long before they made the Z12 or the led fretboard just never could afford one.

Jeff Moen is a master of the mini Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxRtsZStYE

I call his style of playing a ztar "accordion" He uses his left hand to play an alternating bass and chord while the left hand plays the melody much like an accordionist might do.

I wrote an article about him awhile back
http://tappermike.com/?q=node/31

I watched the couple of guitar-like instruments you posted Tapper,
and I was linked to this one,
thought it was pretty good- nice instrument too->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwZ69L6v0w#t=340

He could do with some accompaniment, but I'm into his sound.

Yeah,,, Touch guitars (chapman sticks, megatar, warr and others) are way way cool. I love the way they sound. While I might get a handle on most of them I could never play a chapman stick because of the way the strings are ordered. In a conventional chapman stick the low notes are in the middle of the fretboard.

tapper mike wrote:Yeah,,, Touch guitars (chapman sticks, megatar, warr and others) are way way cool. I love the way they sound. While I might get a handle on most of them I could never play a chapman stick because of the way the strings are ordered. In a conventional chapman stick the low notes are in the middle of the fretboard.
tuned to 4ths in one direction and 5ths in the other as I recall, we had a used one in the mom and pop chain I worked at...I had to call them to learn how to tune it. IMO the way the notes are arranged are not what makes it hard to learn, it's being comfortable with how loose the strings are. Tuning it I kept thinking "this cant be right" but it was, it would take me a long time to learn to play it but of course having it there a for a few months I did mess around with it some.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

werp wrote:Finally arrived. was getting worried there for a while.
I even put strings on it.
Nice!

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tapper mike wrote:I know a guy who is having a well equipped z12 built

He's no stranger to unique instruments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIupV9Hy ... D6UWZdXcpA

And he travels the world playing gigs at colleges universities. Much of the music he does could not be recreated on a guitar.

Whoa! He should try out for a roll in the next Star Wars movie :borg:

If only starr labs made led versions of Zboards instead of the clipper variety for ztars. Forget push, or launchpads lay down something serious on a 24x24 board with velocity and after touch.

I told HS that he should opt for que neo type faders for the available space on the left.

Hink wrote:Image

BTW this guitar actually has a concept that has me pondering a new build (not a new concept mind you), I like the idea of the tune-o-matic with the strings through the body...but I would prefer to do it with a neck-thru...maybe I'll watch ebay for a project guitar with a neck through :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”