Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:I played a 1952 once, it sounded amazing but played terribly. This was the bad side of baseball bat necks, the radius of the fretboard was ridiculously curved. My friend's 1961 Strat is the same way, it sounds great but plays terribly.

That's why I love Suhr's so much, they get everything right. I really wish they'd continued the Rasmus line and done some strats with it.

the dickens you say, they've improved electric guitar necks over the last 62 years? Shocking :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:the dickens you say, they've improved electric guitar necks over the last 62 years? Shocking :hihi:
Hah! Well, somebody has. :hihi:

I've played a '53 once... same story "u" shaped, heavenly tone hell on the hands The one I have and the one I'm getting can only be described as "A Fat C" Not quite a U certainly not a strat modern C or a shallow C as on my 86 strat plus. I can't do thumb overs without a lot of effort, given up trying. Not interested in sweeps, I've got other guitars for that. The jazzy stuff I do plays fine for the most part, same with the classic rock/blues.

I know it sounds crazy but I really don't like getting away from standard tuning that much. Even though tuning down a half or a whole step can really bring out the tone on a pine body.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

when i was picking up guitars at gearfest, there was a beautiful tele custom. It had a really neat finish, but evidently it got sold :(

A tele is definitely on my list.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:the dickens you say, they've improved electric guitar necks over the last 62 years? Shocking :hihi:
Hah! Well, somebody has. :hihi:
well ftr (again) such a guitar would be an investment for most people and not about how it plays. A 1950 Broadcaster selling for 70k today could double in value in a decade. That neck is so perfectly worn if I wanted to play the guitar on a regular basis I would wrap up the neck nice and secure somewhere, pick up the phone and say "Hello, Warmoth?"
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yes, you're absolutely. I remember thinking that my friend was crazy for spending $10,000 for his '61 strat 15 years ago, now it might be worth 10x that due it's immaculate condition. The '52 tele I played was $10,000 a couple years ago and would probably be worth much more than that if it were in better condition, the problem is it was in player guitar condition and wasn't player guitar quality.

oh speaking of next guitars ... PRS is coming out with a 12 string hollowbody drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Hink wrote:
Uncle E wrote:I played a 1952 once, it sounded amazing but played terribly. This was the bad side of baseball bat necks, the radius of the fretboard was ridiculously curved. My friend's 1961 Strat is the same way, it sounds great but plays terribly.

That's why I love Suhr's so much, they get everything right. I really wish they'd continued the Rasmus line and done some strats with it.

the dickens you say, they've improved electric guitar necks over the last 62 years? Shocking :hihi:
I really like a fat neck with a compound radius (9.5 - 12") and medium jumbo frets for my big hands. 9.5" for chords and 12" for bends without choking out.

SJ_Digriz wrote:oh speaking of next guitars ... PRS is coming out with a 12 string hollowbody drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

:love: :love: :love:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:I really like a fat neck with a compound radius (9.5 - 12") and medium jumbo frets for my big hands. 9.5" for chords and 12" for bends without choking out.
You'd love my Warmoth tele. It combines their fattest neck, the Fatback, with the Warmoth compound radius (10"-16"). Super vintage and super fast all in one.

PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:
Hink wrote:

I really like a fat neck with a compound radius (9.5 - 12") and medium jumbo frets for my big hands. 9.5" for chords and 12" for bends without choking out.
I'm a warmoth fan as well, but I like the wizard contour (much better than the ibby wizard as the warmoth neck is a little more narrow than an ibby). But my bari is a warmoth standard thin, I do like my ibby...but I also love my LTD/ESP neck-thru...and there is the slightly shorter scale Daion with it's narrow neck (also neck-thru)...or perhaps I grab my Jackson Kelly which has a neck that is thin but is flat and wide, feels like the flight deck on an aircraft carrier. I'm :nutter:

I dont see why I would want a favorite when it comes to such things, perhaps it's because when I was young I was lucky to have what I had. I can adapt to any style neck (though I have small hands) and I'll find a way to make most guitars benefit me as long as it's not unserviceable :)

Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Today I bought an Eastman AC220 (http://www.eastmanguitars.com/ac122/) from the new series.

Amazing sound and playability for a ridiculous low price (€549 euros) and it comes with a free gigbag (easily +€100 euros).
I compared it to the other 100-300 series as well as some entry-level Taylors, Tanglewoods and a Sigma but to me this is the one!

It's a solid top auditorium model which is nice since I alreay have a dreadnought and for homerecording this will give me less hassle with feedback and such as the tone is very balanced in the midrange, slightly less bassy than the dreadnought versions with a velvety warmth to it. It has a very thin natural finish which makes it very smooth to move around the neck and will help develop the sound over the years.

I'd say at this moment the Eastmans are top where it comes to price/quality. +1 from me!
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Thinking less expensive than a guitar right now - mostly I need new strings for my mandolin (which I don't think I've played for more than a year now)

robojam wrote:Thinking less expensive than a guitar right now - mostly I need new strings for my mandolin (which I don't think I've played for more than a year now)
http://www.juststrings.com/?s_kwcid=TC| ... oCP6Dw_wcB

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”