Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I would go for the P-Rails only I have nothing to put them in right now...

With a few other things on my GAS list I think I'd pick them up later when I get a guitar to put them in as they wouldn't fit in my Tele (and I wouldn't want them in it). :hihi:

Picked up this bad boy at a very good price. Very nice sounding guitar.

Michael Kelly Guitar

PatchAdamz wrote:Image

Michael Kelly Guitar
I bought a Michael Kelly Visionary V5 acoustic for my son off local Craigslist. $60. It has the Variable Set Neck technology on it, and it makes for a very comfortable player for him.

Wow, everyones picking up a new beauty :wheee:

rockstar_not wrote:

Michael Kelly Guitar
I bought a Michael Kelly Visionary V5 acoustic for my son off local Craigslist. $60. It has the Variable Set Neck technology on it, and it makes for a very comfortable player for him.
Great instrument for the money.
Sound is very clean but punchy, somewhere between a strat and paul.

It was about a quarter of the cost.
Records beautifully.

PatchAdamz wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:

Michael Kelly Guitar
Great instrument for the money.
Sound is very clean but punchy, somewhere between a strat and paul.

It was about a quarter of the cost.
Records beautifully.
I like the fact there is no stop bar and the strings go through the body, I have never been comfortable playing a stop bar equipped guitar. It's not really a deal breaker though because the right guitar could come along with one and it wouldn't matter...never say never right?

edit: Amazon has this model on prime, and you're right...a very tempting price
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:Image
I played one of these the other day, perhaps it was the setup but it didn't play well at all. The PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone I played recently was much better (although I prefer the Tele's pickup configuration).

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:Image
I played one of these the other day, perhaps it was the setup but it didn't play well at all. The PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone I played recently was much better (although I prefer the Tele's pickup configuration).
just dont mistake the fender with mine, I wish Warmoth made the neck with the wizard back but still I love a Warmoth neck :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

robojam wrote:
morelia wrote:Just got this:
Image Setup is not 100% perfect and there seem to be some slight intonation issues but it comes with a free setup so that should all be sorted. I love the feel of it. Never had an SG and this feels great to play. For the money I'm pretty impressed with how nice it feels to play. Only had it plugged in for about 15 minutes so far but from that I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds too. Seems like a good buy.
Interesting to hear. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time, with a mind to rip out the pickups and replace them with Seymour Duncan P-Rails.
I was thinking SD Alnico II but no idea of how to do it. Sadly I'm no guitar tech. Do I need a soldering iron to do it?

How could I get an idea of what the P Rails sound like?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

@morelia: Yep, you'll need a soldering iron. If you are unfamiliar with the guitar specs, see if by any chance the website has a diagram. Pickup companies have MANY diagrams you can look at. I don't want to scare you off because it's really not that hard but you'll need to know what impedance the tone/volume pots are and such. but likely, they are easily swappable.

It helped me to take a photo of the guitar with the cavity plate off and then look at the pup manufacture's diagram so I knew what I was doing.

Woh, impedance? That's out of my league. :hihi: I figured I could wack any humbucker in there as long as I wired it the same.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

If you're changing a humbucker with a humbucker chances are you don't need to change the pots.

How do you go on if you change to P-Rails though? I would assume as humbuckers and then use tone control to adjust when splitting
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:If you're changing a humbucker with a humbucker chances are you don't need to change the pots.

How do you go on if you change to P-Rails though? I would assume as humbuckers and then use tone control to adjust when splitting
No, but you do need to pay OHMage to the type of pot :hihi: You will likely have 500k's for buckers.

I have too many. 16 at last count.
Wish I could play properly.
:-/
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

If someone wants their Next Guitar to be a 2001 MIM Fat Strat with some mods, mine is for sale.

Black body, white triple-ply pickgaurd, rosewood fingerboard

Mods:
1. Rewired so that neck pup tone control is master tone (standard wiring has tail pup uncontrolled for tone - too crispy in many situations)
2. Middle pup tone control is variable tap on the HB (at 0, it's singled, at 10, it's full both coils on)
3. Replaced bent steel saddles with Graphtechs - no more broken strings at the saddles
4. pup cavity lined with copper foil
5. Back of pickguard lined with copper foil (to eliminate static buildup that sometimes occurred with rubbing of fingers on pickguard

Mods 1&2 easily reversed - I can provide the wiring diagrams if necessary. Mod 3, I will have to dig around to find the bent steel saddles and include them, but I'm not changing them back. Mods 4&5 not changing that back either.

Comes with a hardshell case, the heavy kind!

Photos available on request.

$250 OBO

Local pickup/deliver only in Colorado. PM me if interested.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”