Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I say if you're going to buy from "the big guys" who push the prices as high as they can because they can...buy used

1. You help the poor sucker who paid top dollar get some of his/her cash back.
2. You get a better deal
3. You choke the big company because they get nothing on used sales

win/win/win :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Looks like a cool store Eric, One I'd no doubt like to spend time in :) My local which is independent also seem to do well with PRS, Suhr and other top dollar or GBP sterling as it over here stuff, The great part is none of the people whom work there are snooty twats that make one feel uncomfortable when just browsing, That goes such a long way in making a good atmosphere as when it isn't like that as I'm sure everyone can attest to, John especially so, It just kills the comfort/positive vibe of feeling even remotely like bothering to try stuff out. Almost like they want you "be a good little doggy and beg me!"

Anyway I've been done proud once again which I'll be posting about as soon I can do :D

I've recently borrowed a friend's Spector bass guitar for a specific few tracks, I can't wait to finish them up and share with everyone. It has given me a chance to almost play lead on a bass guitar/have it much more a dominant part in my stuff than I can and usually do which is a good change and allowed me to approach things from writing, tracking and mixing from a totally different perspective. I don't got the money to get myself a Spector nor even buy a quality Warwick like I used to have. So yeah it was cool of him to let me lend it and remind me what I'm missing somewhat

Best your way and to all as always :tu:

Dean

tapper mike wrote:A buddy of mine who owns a guitar store hates prs and hates gibsons... mostly because of the pricing structure. He doesn't want to have to buy ten to put one in his store. But when he speaks of the guitars he avoids mentioning that. He of course loves the samick prs models and the samick avions because he can afford to stock them.
Sounds like he doesn't want his customers getting blues gigs. ;)
The RWG 450 is no prs semi. It's got a great tone all its own but not in the same league as a prs. Still I love the body style and I like the tone that comes from it. Mostly I love the neck but I didn't when I first got it.
An SE with upgraded pickups and bridge can be very nearly the level of an American PRS. A Torero might be a good job since it already has that stuff upgraded and is very much its own instrument, separate from the American models.
It's funny all these guitars and I don't have a decent amp to play them through. The roland cube doesn't come alive till the volume is past 6 and anything after three the cops come knocking. I want a traynor. I used to have one when I was playing out years ago. And a butler tube driver amp. Hated the tube driver but it was more then sufficently loud enough to play anywhere. Loved the Traynor. Sold them both when I got into restaraunt management and kissed away live gigs.
The Orange MT-20 Micro Terror is cool for the money, wattage, and convenience. Those new 25 watt Mesa Boogie Recto's look cool.

Uncle E wrote:
tapper mike wrote:A buddy of mine who owns a guitar store hates prs and hates gibsons... mostly because of the pricing structure. He doesn't want to have to buy ten to put one in his store. But when he speaks of the guitars he avoids mentioning that. He of course loves the samick prs models and the samick avions because he can afford to stock them.
Sounds like he doesn't want his customers getting blues gigs. ;)
The RWG 450 is no prs semi. It's got a great tone all its own but not in the same league as a prs. Still I love the body style and I like the tone that comes from it. Mostly I love the neck but I didn't when I first got it.
An SE with upgraded pickups and bridge can be very nearly the level of an American PRS. A Torero might be a good job since it already has that stuff upgraded and is very much its own instrument, separate from the American models.
It's funny all these guitars and I don't have a decent amp to play them through. The roland cube doesn't come alive till the volume is past 6 and anything after three the cops come knocking. I want a traynor. I used to have one when I was playing out years ago. And a butler tube driver amp. Hated the tube driver but it was more then sufficently loud enough to play anywhere. Loved the Traynor. Sold them both when I got into restaraunt management and kissed away live gigs.
The Orange MT-20 Micro Terror is cool for the money, wattage, and convenience. Those new 25 watt Mesa Boogie Recto's look cool.
sorry Eric, if you're on a budget you still cannot beat those little Frenzels with the one watt power tube. I see that even Marshall has similar now but they use two 12au7's instead of one like the Frenzel and the price is much higher. The Fenzel without a case with the hi-gain (Marshall voicing or Hi-watt) and the 12au7 power tube is $415...without the hi-gain it's $365.00. But I could be convinced to let my first one go for a good price (not hi-gain but does do hi-gain nicely with an OD but it does have the power tube) The Frenzels are about as loud as a Fender SS Frontman that comes with the Fender Squire packs or basically about as loud as the old little Gorilla amps use to be

I dont know about the micro terror but I found the Tiny Terror to be a one sounding amp with very little control, but that's just me. I chose the Egnater at that time over the Orange for that reason. I want a versatile amp and the Frenzels being voiced for Fender and Marshall is killer and like I said with a little OD you're got a whole range of great tones :)

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page17.php
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My suggestions based on personal experience would be a Blackstar HT-5H with a cab of your choice packing a speaker which works/sounds right for you (I'd say a 1x12" with a Celestion Seventy/Eighty or Vintage 30 for me personally), So many options available speaker wise, I'm sure you have some preference and an empty 1x12" cabs can be found for very good prices. Blackstar released the HT Metal range which offers the HT Metal 5H which is the same core amp with the gain structure and tone circuit re-voiced to deliver more metal/high-gain out of the box with a darker more chunky thing going on. I'm still as happy with the little HT-5H since the day I bought it. Their ISF control is what makes it so great/versatile. A few choice pedals in-front along with your flavour of delay and reverb in the series FX Loop that you prefer post pre-amp all makes for such a great rig for home use, studio/recording use

I'm certain the Frenzel's are great but obviously I haven't tried one but I take John totally on his word on them, Since your over in the US it seems more than worth a punt considering the options available and even built to request features. If I lived over your guy's way I'd order one

Anyway with that many guitars in the collection Mike, It is a damned shame that they don't have an a decent small valve amp to go into, No need to not let the Cube go to waste either if you were to pickup for example one of ART's CoolSWITCH A/B-Y boxes that you can get for chump change

Scratch the itch :party:

Hink wrote:sorry Eric, if you're on a budget you still cannot beat those little Frenzels with the one watt power tube.
Sure! The Orange MT-20's just a cheap thing (we sell B-Stocks for $120) and I agree that all the Terror amps are pretty limited in terms of versatility. They're cool if you're looking for a cranked JCM800 for cheap but not much else.

These days I'm finding that I really like the sound of big power tubes and big transformers, even when they're not cranked to saturation.

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:sorry Eric, if you're on a budget you still cannot beat those little Frenzels with the one watt power tube.

These days I'm finding that I really like the sound of big power tubes and big transformers, even when they're not cranked to saturation.
me too :hihi: that's why I have the bases covered from 1-100 watts and 6 different amps. Remember when you said you only use one or two tones? Now I think you might see my point, it's the subtle things you begin to notice. The other thing is while right now that is your preference once that sound is burned in going to lower wattage amps might have the same effect...at least it works that way for me. (that's why when people would ask what's the best sim I say "the one I dont have") That's why I like the single ended super champ from Frenzel, big transformers, big tube (or small) but maxed out maybe 12 watts according to JF (he claims that's with a KT-88)...the funny thing is my least favorite tube in that amp is an EL-34. The one I like the best is a 6v6, perhaps big transformers with little tubes isn't so bad either ;)

I didn't realize the micro terrors were that cheap, I haven't been keeping up with retail much these days because I am not in the market for any new amps right now, nor do I need any new guitars (not that that would stop me :hihi: ). After one song with the two Frenzels now I'm back to hooked on my Jet City 50 watt with sovteks. I really believe that we all have this thing built into our brains...different=better...not always but that seems to be a common thing for me and fwiw it's why I suck at mixing.

OT for a sec, just curious...I read where someone bought my cousin's plug from you (Rob) and I am just wondering if you have messed around with the plugin :)

Hink wrote:That's why I like the single ended super champ from Frenzel, big transformers, big tube (or small) but maxed out maybe 12 watts according to JF
That Champ Pro looks rad, too. Given how much people depend on pedals these days, I'm kind of surprised that a super stripped down amp like that doesn't get more attention.
I didn't realize the micro terrors were that cheap, I haven't been keeping up with retail much these days because I am not in the market for any new amps right now, nor do I need any new guitars (not that that would stop me :hihi: ).
Me, neither. I'm actually 100% satisfied with my Mesa Blue Angel. I'm going to ask Jerry (our in-house amp tech) to modify it to footswitch between my two favorite settings but that's about it, I love its sound the way it is and am not tweaking that.
OT for a sec, just curious...I read where someone bought my cousin's plug from you (Rob) and I am just wondering if you have messed around with the plugin :)
I haven't tried it yet but everyone who's bought it seems to be happy. He and his plugin developer have been really great to deal with, just as Rob was when we bought his mics before. His mic line seems to be growing pretty slowly, have you ever thought to get involved with him and help things along? I imagine he's too busy to put all his attention on this stuff.

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:That's why I like the single ended super champ from Frenzel, big transformers, big tube (or small) but maxed out maybe 12 watts according to JF
That Champ Pro looks rad, too. Given how much people depend on pedals these days, I'm kind of surprised that a super stripped down amp like that doesn't get more attention.
I didn't realize the micro terrors were that cheap, I haven't been keeping up with retail much these days because I am not in the market for any new amps right now, nor do I need any new guitars (not that that would stop me :hihi: ).
Me, neither. I'm actually 100% satisfied with my Mesa Blue Angel. I'm going to ask Jerry (our in-house amp tech) to modify it to footswitch between my two favorite settings but that's about it, I love its sound the way it is and am not tweaking that.
I haven't tried it yet but everyone who's bought it seems to be happy. He and his plugin developer have been really great to deal with, just as Rob was when we bought his mics before. His mic line seems to be growing pretty slowly, have you ever thought to get involved with him and help things along? I imagine he's too busy to put all his attention on this stuff.
I hope to set up a support forum him here at KvR for the plugin (a good word from you about KvR might help) as for his mics he did just release or is about to release a mic pre. The thing about Rob is his prices are great, I dont need a mic pre though. :shrug:

I think we've reached a cultural divide here.

I like my amps Jazzy (not Roland JC) Cleaner (Acoustic, airy) and Bluesy in that order.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:I think we've reached a cultural divide here.

I like my amps Jazzy (not Roland JC) Cleaner (Acoustic, airy) and Bluesy in that order.
You'd probably love the Blue Angel. :)

Uncle E wrote:
tapper mike wrote:I think we've reached a cultural divide here.

You'd probably love the Blue Angel. :)
He probably would. There's a Blue Angel 4x10 combo for sale locally; it's tempting...

ew
A spectral heretic...

i really need to get back in to playing the guitar regularly. i started at ten and i'm now forty but for the last ten or so years i have let things slide.

i bought AmpliTube during the recent promotion and it's definitely reignited my interest, in fact i was surprised how quickly things came back to me.
i've only got a lowly Squier Tele, although i do recall changing the pickups for more meat and girth.

i think if i get back into playing on a regular basis i'll buy a 'proper' guitar considering this is my fortieth year :D

neil.

What I really love, but can't afford......

Quiltter Micro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjXBLlFn38
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

ew wrote:He probably would. There's a Blue Angel 4x10 combo for sale locally; it's tempting...
That's what I've got. Turn the bright switch on and the midrange down, it sounds like a Super Reverb. Turn the fat switch on and the midrange up, it sounds like Malcolm Young.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”