Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote:love the p-rails Mike :tu:
Yep. It seemed like a good idea as I would have both versions of the SG (historically speaking) in one, plus the option of single coil. Heard nothing but good words about those pickups too.

robojam wrote:
Hink wrote:love the p-rails Mike :tu:
Yep. It seemed like a good idea as I would have both versions of the SG (historically speaking) in one, plus the option of single coil. Heard nothing but good words about those pickups too.
you can get pick up rings with the switches built in so you dont have to drill into the body, I didn't use them myself...at least not yet
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm still debating whether to use the rings or to install switches. I like the idea of the switches as the rings make me think it might be a bit more fiddly rather than the ease of just quickly flipping the switch position, but the switches would obviously be more work and require some routing.

I went with the switches because my bari is a custom and has that big pickguard and no rings...but that could change in the next month or two because I think my next guitar will be just a body to "finish" the baritone project off (remember the body is a squire, nothing else is stock from the squire tele custom I bought...until I get a new body, then I'll have a squire tele custom again).

I think I want the Warmoth "Z-body" with alder as pictured

The Z-body is 5 dollars less with all my options than a tele body but it's not a matter of economics, I think the body would make a great looking bari...:tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

It would be a great gigging guitar with the baritone neck and the long body too. Visually I mean.

Yeah I think they are a match, besides Fender has a tele baritone now so my idea is less than original :hihi:

woolyloach wrote:I'm going to sell the RG "as-is" for cheap, sell the replacement pickups, and stop trying to do mods on my guitars! :evil:
Which model RG is it? Some of the Prestige models come stock with Tone Zone's and/or PAF Pro's, which sound excellent in my RG3120.

Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:
morelia wrote:Just got this:
Image Setup is not 100% perfect and there seem to be some slight intonation issues but it comes with a free setup so that should all be sorted. I love the feel of it. Never had an SG and this feels great to play. For the money I'm pretty impressed with how nice it feels to play. Only had it plugged in for about 15 minutes so far but from that I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds too. Seems like a good buy.
Interesting to hear. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time, with a mind to rip out the pickups and replace them with Seymour Duncan P-Rails.
love the p-rails Mike :tu:

wooly, what pups are you selling? BTW how much space do you need to swap them out? I could do it in the backseat of my car if I had too...I could change pups in my car too :hihi:
Ok, you're gonna get the LONG STORY! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Since the fire in the back house, the large space I used to have is gone - I'm in a teeny tiny temp room in the front house of the property. This room has a bed, a closet, a chest of drawers, a small sofa and a desk - and almost ZERO floor space. I have my Strat and RP355 in, with the Tascam 4-track on the desk next to my laptop.. and that's ALL THE SPACE I HAVE. Everything else is taken up by the stuff I need to survive (clothes, medical supplies, and the like). Everywhere else in the house is taken up - there's no place for me to put the RG while I'm working on the pickguard, even IF I had a place to put the damnable thing to solder on it - which I don't! :cry: :cry: :cry: I've had to cram my entire life into a closet at this point.. a lot of non-temperature-sensitive stuff is still in the back house (to be sold off ASAP).

I really have been totally demotivated to do anything complex or long term at this point.. I'm mostly just happy to have a warm place to sleep with Internet access and space for my Strat. :( :(

The pickups I have: Duncan P-Rails, Duncan JB Junior, Duncan Pearly Gates (neck version). I was going to turn the RG into a screaming shredmaster machine.. :cry: :cry: But I' sick to death of almost everything right now and I can't face ferking around with soldering, even if I could somehow find a place to do it. :(

It sucks, but there it is. I'm just going to abandon the project and buy something that works the way I like, out of the box, no screwing with it. :? The RG is functional except for the center pickup, so I can probably sell it for cheap and recover SOME of my investment. :?
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Uncle E wrote:
woolyloach wrote:I'm going to sell the RG "as-is" for cheap, sell the replacement pickups, and stop trying to do mods on my guitars! :evil:
Which model RG is it? Some of the Prestige models come stock with Tone Zone's and/or PAF Pro's, which sound excellent in my RG3120.
It's an RG250DX - a nice body, great neck, but the electronics are lame (to say the least). The 'bucker in my Strat has more output...! :-o :-o

I bought it used as a project guitar as I didn't want to trash something really nice in my first real modding effort... :? :?

woolyloach wrote:It's an RG250DX - a nice body, great neck, but the electronics are lame (to say the least).
Agreed. Ditch it.

woolyloach wrote:
Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:
morelia wrote:Just got this:
Image Setup is not 100% perfect and there seem to be some slight intonation issues but it comes with a free setup so that should all be sorted. I love the feel of it. Never had an SG and this feels great to play. For the money I'm pretty impressed with how nice it feels to play. Only had it plugged in for about 15 minutes so far but from that I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds too. Seems like a good buy.
Interesting to hear. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time, with a mind to rip out the pickups and replace them with Seymour Duncan P-Rails.
love the p-rails Mike :tu:

wooly, what pups are you selling? BTW how much space do you need to swap them out? I could do it in the backseat of my car if I had too...I could change pups in my car too :hihi:
Ok, you're gonna get the LONG STORY! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Since the fire in the back house, the large space I used to have is gone - I'm in a teeny tiny temp room in the front house of the property. This room has a bed, a closet, a chest of drawers, a small sofa and a desk - and almost ZERO floor space. I have my Strat and RP355 in, with the Tascam 4-track on the desk next to my laptop.. and that's ALL THE SPACE I HAVE. Everything else is taken up by the stuff I need to survive (clothes, medical supplies, and the like). Everywhere else in the house is taken up - there's no place for me to put the RG while I'm working on the pickguard, even IF I had a place to put the damnable thing to solder on it - which I don't! :cry: :cry: :cry: I've had to cram my entire life into a closet at this point.. a lot of non-temperature-sensitive stuff is still in the back house (to be sold off ASAP).

I really have been totally demotivated to do anything complex or long term at this point.. I'm mostly just happy to have a warm place to sleep with Internet access and space for my Strat. :( :(

The pickups I have: Duncan P-Rails, Duncan JB Junior, Duncan Pearly Gates (neck version). I was going to turn the RG into a screaming shredmaster machine.. :cry: :cry: But I' sick to death of almost everything right now and I can't face ferking around with soldering, even if I could somehow find a place to do it. :(

It sucks, but there it is. I'm just going to abandon the project and buy something that works the way I like, out of the box, no screwing with it. :? The RG is functional except for the center pickup, so I can probably sell it for cheap and recover SOME of my investment. :?
I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time, I hope you can get your housing situation straightened out soon...no one needs t deal with things like that :hug:

what do you want for the JB and Pearly Gates? Maybe Robo will be interested in your p-rails :)

Regarding the bari use of that warmoth body - won't it be kind of jacked up with the pup routes already done? I would expect that you would want the pup locations to be in the same positions (as a percentage of scale length) of a non-bari guitar.

Because of the longer physical scale length of bari guitars (If this wikipedia article is right, scale lengths are between 27.5 and 30" long. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

To get a 'tele' baritone, I would expect you would need to mimic the percent distance along scale from either end, bridge or nut, to get the same kind of harmonics present at the pups, as the standard tele pup positions.

There's a local shop that has one of those tele baritones, I could go measure the pup distances from the nut and report back here. My guess is that the distance between the pups is longer on the bari tele.

-Scott

@Hink: I'd go $50 for the Pearly, and $40 for the JB Junior. P-Rail I'd let go for $50 as well, good deals (I think) to get them to good homes. :) All in unopened boxes.

And thanks for the well-wishes! The back house is an unknown, time-wise, but the dude that's doing the microbiology stuff at UT moves out of the big room in March and the landlady has made arrangements for me to take it on a more-or-less permanent basis. It's HUGE, plenty of room for 3 computers and 3 guitars as well as a more comprehensive multitrack system (and my Zoom drum machine lol).

I'll just Craigslist the RG250DX and use the money towards the Nashville Tele. I think it'll be a good companion for the Strat. :D

Then maybe get an 8-track multitrack, although so far with "just me + guitar" I've yet to use more than 3 tracks on any recent tune (heh). :hihi:

rockstar_not wrote:Regarding the bari use of that warmoth body - won't it be kind of jacked up with the pup routes already done? I would expect that you would want the pup locations to be in the same positions (as a percentage of scale length) of a non-bari guitar.

Because of the longer physical scale length of bari guitars (If this wikipedia article is right, scale lengths are between 27.5 and 30" long. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

To get a 'tele' baritone, I would expect you would need to mimic the percent distance along scale from either end, bridge or nut, to get the same kind of harmonics present at the pups, as the standard tele pup positions.

There's a local shop that has one of those tele baritones, I could go measure the pup distances from the nut and report back here. My guess is that the distance between the pups is longer on the bari tele.

-Scott
Scott, my bari sounds killer...the neck Warmoth makes is a 28 5/8" Scale with 24 frets and it's a conversion neck for 25 1/2" scale guitars. I understand what you are saying and I think when I first built the guitar we had a similar discussion but I think you are over-thinking it...here's a picture of the Fender Tele Baritone

that humbucker does not look to be any closer or further away than a standard tele deluxe (a tele custom as you know actually has a single coil in the bridge)

But again that doesn't matter much because I get great tones from the bari now on it's third set of pups, while all three sets sounded good I do like the p-rails that are in it now the best.

It's going to be a different length from the nut because it's a longer neck, I think it's relation to the bridge is more important than the relation to the nut...I could be wrong and YMMV but my baritone is one sweet sounding instrument and because it's stereo, has two pre-amps* and the p-rails I think it will be a long time before I run out of sonic capabilities :tu:

*the pres are Artec QDD2s which are 5 position switches with 4 flavors of boost and a bypass...each pup has it's own in stereo mode but in mono only the bridge position pre is used (for both pups)

woolyloach wrote:@Hink: I'd go $50 for the Pearly, and $40 for the JB Junior. P-Rail I'd let go for $50 as well, good deals (I think) to get them to good homes. :) All in unopened boxes.

And thanks for the well-wishes! The back house is an unknown, time-wise, but the dude that's doing the microbiology stuff at UT moves out of the big room in March and the landlady has made arrangements for me to take it on a more-or-less permanent basis. It's HUGE, plenty of room for 3 computers and 3 guitars as well as a more comprehensive multitrack system (and my Zoom drum machine lol).

I'll just Craigslist the RG250DX and use the money towards the Nashville Tele. I think it'll be a good companion for the Strat. :D

Then maybe get an 8-track multitrack, although so far with "just me + guitar" I've yet to use more than 3 tracks on any recent tune (heh). :hihi:
pm sent

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”